Why become a member? ×

Advice on breaking in a new amp please

Shire

Well... As I learned - wattage is not volume. My 10w Hiwatt can go louder that a 15w 2 tubed laney combo hands down. It's mainly in the speakers. I bought the same head + 4x10" and I only use it at 50% - It's really loud. I suggest adding a 1x15 to get more volume. And also, a little compression (1/5th of the knob) can help

[quote name='chris_b' post='402006' date='Feb 6 2009, 01:55 PM']The 15 will sound fine, but you could also try another 2x10. You can get a lot of bass out of modern 10's, but they will have a lot more definition and punch than any 15's.[/quote]

Well that depends on the specific speakers - nominal diameter tells you very little about how they actually sound. Good indicator of how big they look though! ;)

Alex

Some good advice here. EQ wise the mids are your friend if you boost them instead of cutting like lots do. Does the amp have a pre-shape or contour switch? If it does, turn it off.

If you go changing drivers you will invalidate the warranty.

A matching 2x10 extension is probably the best option as it will give you more volume and raise the top cab up. Often using two cabs the same they will couple acoustically and you will get more than the sum of the parts. If you use different cabs you can get phase cancellation issues and you wont get the sum of the parts. But some people like the sound of this but it probably wont give you as much extra volume as using 2 cabs the same.

Sorry, I do sometimes get carried away when confronted with ignorance and stupidy presented as good advice. Yes a 300 watt combo even if it only pushing out 180 watts without an extension cab should be loud enough, but may not be if loaded with inefficient speakers. Or it could be faulty. Or it could be the gain is set too low because of Ashdowns notoriously unreliable VU meter. Or it could be the users EQ settings.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the amp, I tried it at my place the other day and it sounded great and very loud, but obviously not cutting it live. Let us know what you decide Matt, btw sorry I didn't get to the gig, I went to meet that bloke to pick up a watch in the end but hope you had a good'un

Cheers

[quote name='BeLow' post='402803' date='Feb 7 2009, 01:50 PM']....you can find something in a shop sounds great but may not work live....[/quote]
This seems to be another statement that is being used so often that it is blindly taken to be true.
If this is true how has the whole world of rock has been choosing and buying amps like this for over 50 years without too much trouble? I have always made my judgements in the shop and I've never had a problem on a gig because I chose the wrong amp or cab. I'm never that lucky so the sound in the shop must have a bearing on the live sound!
With some bands playing so much louder these days the shop vs live argument might be relevant, but if you aren't loud I don't see why shop vs live should be so out of step.

[quote name='chris_b' post='402813' date='Feb 7 2009, 02:09 PM']This seems to be another statement that is being used so often that it is blindly taken to be true.
If this is true how has the whole world of rock has been choosing and buying amps like this for over 50 years without too much trouble? I have always made my judgements in the shop and I've never had a problem on a gig because I chose the wrong amp or cab. I'm never that lucky so the sound in the shop must have a bearing on the live sound!
With some bands playing so much louder these days the shop vs live argument might be relevant, but if you aren't loud I don't see why shop vs live should be so out of step.[/quote]

I don't think anyone is really suggesting that it's always the case, but it can be true sometimes. I've certainly found that my ideal sound when listening to the bass alone needs re-EQing to work in a band context.

[quote name='chris_b' post='402813' date='Feb 7 2009, 02:09 PM']This seems to be another statement that is being used so often that it is blindly taken to be true.
With some bands playing so much louder these days the shop vs live argument might be relevant, but if you aren't loud I don't see why shop vs live should be so out of step.[/quote]
Here he goes again!

It is very simple and indeed pertinent to the subject under discussion. Volume. You are never going to use gigging volumes in a music shop. I can confirm this from my own personal experience. I had an EBS mini stack and I know that at larger venues it farted out. But when I did an A/B against the Genz Benz cabs I use now, in two different shops, we could not get the volume up to a level where the EBS farted.

Well thanks for all the advice, its nice to see that it caused some heated discussion. Got a few interesting points I can take away from reading the replies but I think I'm going to go for the extension cab. I'll try both the 2x10 and 1x5 to see which I prefer ;)

[quote name='Shire' post='400973' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:18 PM']That's what I thought, hmmmm..

I did play about with the EQ but it didn't seem to help me much - its just the sheer power and punch that I think are lacking ;)

Yeah still toying with the idea of returning it which is a shame because its a really nice amp. Funnily enough they had a s/h 4x10 cab and I thought about the MAG300 head but because I got such a good deal on the combo I resisted it :P

I paid £280 for the amp because I knew the guy in the shop. The cheapest I could find it for online was £370[/quote]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='405276' date='Feb 10 2009, 12:43 PM']Let us know how you get on and remember to try and get some distance away from the rig if you are trying in a shop otherwise you will only hear the top cab.[/quote]

Will do. There is no doubt this thing is loud but I think I'll give it 1 more chance at the next practice before I get the cab ;)

[quote name='Tee' post='405308' date='Feb 10 2009, 01:07 PM']I take it you're using the passive input on the MAG (not the active)?

Watch your EQ. The more bass you add, the less perceivable volume you'll get out of it.

Use a Precision :huh: Jazzes are weedy IMO.[/quote]

Yeah, that seems to be the best advice (about using less bass) and I am using the passive input, even I'm not that daft although I have my moments! :)

As much as I love the Jazz I think I might take the precision route instead soon although I should have a '71 Musicmaster arriving any day now courtesy of Steve :P

[quote name='blackhatbass' post='405418' date='Feb 10 2009, 03:07 PM']Apologies for the random thread hijack, but i've just noticed how scarily similar your avatar picture is to mine! Jehrico Tav represent! - Sorry, as you were......[/quote]

lol thats cool, although weird! Yeah its the Jericho Tavern. I thinke we've played there 3 times???? Whats your band name matey? I might have seen you ;)

[quote name='Shire' post='405466' date='Feb 10 2009, 04:03 PM']lol thats cool, although weird! Yeah its the Jericho Tavern. I thinke we've played there 3 times???? Whats your band name matey? I might have seen you ;)[/quote]

The Black Hats - yours? Played the Jehrico more times than I can remember - in fact twice just last week!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='403010' date='Feb 7 2009, 07:45 PM']It is very simple and indeed pertinent to the subject under discussion. Volume. You are never going to use gigging volumes in a music shop. I can confirm this from my own personal experience. I had an EBS mini stack and I know that at larger venues it farted out. But when I did an A/B against the Genz Benz cabs I use now, in two different shops, we could not get the volume up to a level where the EBS farted.[/quote]

Exactly. This is why I think my direct sales with a trial period approach is a damn sight more useful than trying gear out in a shop. Within reason you can EQ any half-decent cab to get whatever sound you want but once you hit high SPL then you run into the limits and two cabs that sound near identical at low volumes can turn out to be radically different at performance volumes.

Alex