Why become a member? ×

Advice on breaking in a new amp please

Shire

[quote name='blackhatbass' post='405484' date='Feb 10 2009, 04:38 PM']The Black Hats - yours? Played the Jehrico more times than I can remember - in fact twice just last week![/quote]

The Empty Vessels: www.myspace.com/theemptyvesselsband

We've not been together to long but we've done about 8 gigs now? Played The Bullingdon on thursday and we've got one coming up at the folly soon ;)

[quote name='ped' post='405488' date='Feb 10 2009, 04:43 PM']Oxford bass meet anyone? :0)[/quote]

I'm up for that :P

Just seconding some of what's been said here...

The Ashdown VU is rubbish im my experience. I've a MAG300 head I keep as a spare. The meter is so inconsistent on mine. Use your ears - get the input gain up as high as possible by ear.

A cab at your feet is not a good way to hear it! The mid and higher frequencies that determine the apparent "loudness" are much more directional than the sub 100Hz stuff and are heading out across the floor! Put it up on something or lean it back and try standing the amp on its end - much better dispersion with the drivers one above the other.

Put the cab about 18"-24" from a wall or perferably a corner.

Have a read of some of the threads about mixing driver sizes in one rig without crossovers.

[quote name='Shire' post='405508' date='Feb 10 2009, 04:54 PM']The Empty Vessels: www.myspace.com/theemptyvesselsband

We've not been together to long but we've done about 8 gigs now? Played The Bullingdon on thursday and we've got one coming up at the folly soon ;)

I'm up for that :P[/quote]

I'd be up for that as well :) When are you playing the Folly (in fact what exact venue do you mean, The FollyBridge?). Never played a gig there, and didn't even know they still did. On a related not, I run a night over it Witney once a month - might have some slots for June and July if you guys fancy it? This probably should all be in a PM shouldn't it.

On a topic related note then. I've got a now very broken MAG300 head, and yes the VU meter is a bag of sh*t - not as bad as the strange smoke that emits from mine when you use it now though! I've also got a ABM300 EvoII and have to report that the VU meter on that seems just as bad. Using any of my different basses (EBMM, Warwicks etc) seems to have no discernable effect on how the VU behaves, despite some being active, some not etc. That said, I quite like the sound of the head (played through Ashdown Mini cabs), but it doesn't get used much as i usually use my Eden rig nowadays.

[quote name='blackhatbass' post='406063' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:18 AM']I'd be up for that as well ;) When are you playing the Folly (in fact what exact venue do you mean, The FollyBridge?). Never played a gig there, and didn't even know they still did. On a related not, I run a night over it Witney once a month - might have some slots for June and July if you guys fancy it? This probably should all be in a PM shouldn't it.

On a topic related note then. I've got a now very broken MAG300 head, and yes the VU meter is a bag of sh*t - not as bad as the strange smoke that emits from mine when you use it now though! I've also got a ABM300 EvoII and have to report that the VU meter on that seems just as bad. Using any of my different basses (EBMM, Warwicks etc) seems to have no discernable effect on how the VU behaves, despite some being active, some not etc. That said, I quite like the sound of the head (played through Ashdown Mini cabs), but it doesn't get used much as i usually use my Eden rig nowadays.[/quote]

I'm shooting a PM to you now :P

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='405773' date='Feb 10 2009, 09:42 PM']My perfect ten mini rig's VU wont move even if I turn the gain up to full on any of my basses but starts moving when I put the output past 50% :S[/quote]

on the minirig, the VU is linked to the output -- on all other ashdowns, it's linked to the input.

i don't know why they did this, but i found it much more useful, as it let me know how far i could push it.

[quote name='escholl' post='406881' date='Feb 11 2009, 07:56 PM']on the minirig, the VU is linked to the output -- on all other ashdowns, it's linked to the input.

i don't know why they did this, but i found it much more useful, as it let me know how far i could push it.[/quote]

Ah that explains a lot, my neighbours will thank you.