GarethFlatlands

Jazz neck build - Now a full Jazz build!

I've had mixed results with sawdust and glue on other DIY projects around the house, but it's probably the simplest option. I'm sure I did something wrong before.

Sadly, the spray can of purple paint ran out while doing the body. Shame, as a matching headstock would have looked great.

A thin veneer on it?

If you've not already seen it @Andyjr1515 has a genius how-to on veneering.

• Like 1

I’d say fine maple dust and superglue. Pile the duct into and around the tear out, and drip runny CA onto it. I hoard sawdusts and put them in little jars, against the day I screw up drilling or routing..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GarethFlatlands said:

I've had mixed results with sawdust and glue on other DIY projects around the house, but it's probably the simplest option. I'm sure I did something wrong before.

Sadly, the spray can of purple paint ran out while doing the body. Shame, as a matching headstock would have looked great.

Hmmm...another can of paint? ;)

Veneering a headstock like this is pretty straightforward, but matching, as you say, would look pretty good...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

If its doubtful about matching the paint, how about satin black...

Good call.

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards a veneer, mainly to cover the multitude of sins you can see on the previous batch of pictures. With that in mind, I've ordered a 325*200mm sheet of Crown Walnut veneer that will hopefully complement the rest of the neck once glued and oiled. I didn't do any research into the wood before I ordered it, so hopefully I won't find out that it's notoriously un-gluable or something equally catastrophic 😄

CrownWalnut.jpg

Don’t spoil the ship for a ha’penny’s worth of tar! How much is another can of paint? And if you ding your bass you can touch it up! A matching headstock on a Jazz is a thing of beauty!

The walnut veneer will be fine if you go for that.  I'll try to dig out the thread of 'veneers without the tears'.

2 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

The walnut veneer will be fine if you go for that.  I'll try to dig out the thread of 'veneers without the tears'.

This one @Andyjr1515?  It's missing the pics now.

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

This one @Andyjr1515?  It's missing the pics now.

I should be able to find a much more recent one.  That was the first veneer job I did!  You did well to find it ;)

On 01/10/2020 at 10:53, Pea Turgh said:

I’d probably go black too.  Tort could look nice, but could be a bit busy.  Yeah, black!

Pearl ? 

So I think I'm going to try, in order;

1. Sawdust and glue tearout fixing, then tru oil. If that doesn't hide the repair, then;

2. Black painted headstock. I still have some primer spray left and there are some acrylics on my wifes crafts shelf I can help myself to. I wasn't sure about any other colour than the purple, but the black might complement the pickguard/pickups well.

3. If that all fails, then the veneer will cover everything up nicely.

Edited by GarethFlatlands
  • Like 2

Hi Gareth are you from the Lincoln Flatlands? If so I'm the Phil that worked with you guys on recording your Black Sluice record.

Small world, that would make 2 people I know on here all building basses. 😋

Hi Phil! It is indeed me. Old username seeing as Flatlands the band split up years ago, but I can't be bothered changing it. Who else you know is doing a build? There might be some good tips if there's a build page for them.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

8 hours ago, GarethFlatlands said:

Hi Phil! It is indeed me. Old username seeing as Flatlands the band split up years ago, but I can't be bothered changing it. Who else you know is doing a build? There might be some good tips if there's a build page for them.

Chap posting under the name of Dread Bass who's build diary is just a few lines down on this forum.