So, from the majority of my encounters meeting and conversing with other musicians, I have found that the Bass Guitar tends to attract the more palatable and all-round pleasant musical artists among us...

Case & Point; All you lovey BC'ers :i-m_so_happy:

I envisage the Bass & Rhythm of Music as it's Heart & Soul and it would appear that most Bass players have an abundance of “heart & soul", hence why they're great Bass players.

A good Bassist will always compliment the song as opposed to their ego; knowing when to provide subtle rhythm accompaniment and when to (humbly) upstage the lead guitarist.

My point being that most Bass players are within their element and most content when playing for the love of music rather than for recognition.

Which brings me to the subject matter of Bass players that can't help but be in the “limelight"... i.e. Lead Singers who play Bass...

Now, there are numerous “front-persons"/“lead singers" who are flying the flag for all us “low-enders", some famous, some not so famous and some, well let's just say in a league of their own...

Which Singer/Bassist has inspired, amazed or just down-right annoyed you?...

The obvious ones might not be so obvious to some and likewise, the obscure ones might not be as unheard of as you'd first think...

So let's here from you fine BC'ers on your favourite, not so favourite or completely unknown Lead Singers who play Bass...

It should go without saying that should any of you gorgeous BC'ers be holding it up for the Bass/Singer front, let it be known and wave your flag proud!  Would be mighty impressive to see the talent contained amidst this beautiful Bass Forum...

(Any pictures & links encouraged)

Gonna start this one off with the late, great Peter Steele of Type O Negative, as I'm just sooo “Brooding Goth"!!  

You might know of him, you might not...

Let's here what you got... ^_^

Screenshot_20200203-200817.png.3b15caa4467d93f049984d69399903d3.png

Peter Steele: Part-time Bassist, part-time Warlock, full-time L'Oréal hair model...

(Geez!! That Bass gotta be heavy!!! Needing a chain strap an' all...)

• Like 1

The almighty Lemmy, of course. No need for a picture. If you don't know him, you know nothing about bass. Period.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The almighty Lemmy, of course. No need for a picture. If you don't know him, you know nothing about bass. Period.

Or lemonade...Screenshot_20200203-203924.png.c4baeaa592a0b15d85c0352cec740b2d.png

Screenshot_20200203-204212.png.9af00157d2c3bc3ef4177380d43c732e.png

“YOU!! QUENCH MA' THIRST!!!.."

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
Law of the Lemmy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The late Mark Sandman of Morphine who died as fast as he was living.

A great singer and an astouding bass player. Saw them loooooong ago with Moondog Junior opening for them. Fantastic concert, still in my memory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sandman

Mark_Sandman_Mississippi_Nights_1997.04.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The late Mark Sandman of Morphine who died as fast as he was living.

A great singer and an astouding bass player. Saw them loooooong ago with Moondog Junior opening for them. Fantastic concert, still in my memory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sandman

Mark_Sandman_Mississippi_Nights_1997.04.

Ooooh!! Great shout!!

Huge admiration for tha' guy and completely slipped my mind... :$

Can't believe you got to see Morphine live... (Shakes fist)

• Like 1

Just now, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

Ooooh!! Great shout!!

Huge admiration for tha' guy and completely slipped my mind... :$

Can't believe you got to see Morphine live... (Shakes fist)

The privilege of the old gits. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Pete Steele, a man of such proportion that he could play a doublebass on a strap, guitar style, and it not look that odd. 

Of course there's Sir Lemmy of Kilmister, and I'll add Fat Mike from NOFX, Phil Lynott and Blackie Lawless from Wasp for the amazed/inspired party, and nominate Mark King and (shhh whisper it) Paul McCartney as candidates for the annoyance party. I would throw Geddy Lee under the wheels as well but I never accidentally have to hear Rush. 

But I do have huge respect for any lead singer who plays bass at the same time, it's all I can do to breathe and play together. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lee Jackson has never had the profile I think he deserves.

I was lucky enough to see him live in Refugee , a prog trio with Patrick Moraz on keyboards and Brian Davison on drums. Very impressive. He was playing a mirror-shiny Rickenbacker as I recall. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Lee Jackson has never had the profile I think he deserves.

I was lucky enough to see him live in Refugee , a prog trio with Patrick Moraz on keyboards and Brian Davison on drums. Very impressive. He was playing a mirror-shiny Rickenbacker as I recall. 

I like... very “Nice" (excuse the pun)...

Left hander as well... Double points awarded!

• Haha 1

Blacky Lawless from W.A.S P

Just because most of the jazz noodlers on here have probably never heard of him. Just as i'd never heard of Jacko until I joined this forum. 

• Like 3

Prince was a also an extraordinary bass player. You're going to be jealous @Ted Theodore Logan, III as I saw him live with the other great bass player and lead singer Larry Graham and they even made a bass duet or duel. :biggrin:

28477923ln.jpg

prince_amager_2011_day2_09.jpg

Edited by Hellzero
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

Prince was a also an extraordinary bass player. You're going to be jealous @Ted Theodore Logan, III as I saw him live with the other great bass player and lead singer Larry Graham and them even made a bass duet or duel.

28477923ln.jpg

prince_amager_2011_day2_09.jpg

:swoon:

because a tiny emoji is the only way to express sheer envy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Maude said:

But I do have huge respect for any lead singer who plays bass at the same time, it's all I can do to breathe and play together. 

Sometimes I forget to breathe. But never for too long, obviously. So far.....

Edited by Len_derby
  • Haha 4

Here's one I keep stumbling upon each time I relapse and find myself back in the BC Marketplace Forum...

Stephen Lee Bruner 

(Former member of Suicidal Tendencies, believe it or not...)

& yes... the same gorgeous instrument is currently available in the BC Marketplace... :x

Fortunately the moths in my wallet keep telling me “No"... “but their body... their body's is telling me yes..."

(Apologies, terrible RnB reference...)

to incorporate terrible R-Kelly joke
  • Like 2

One of my favourite fretless player and better lead singer than his partner in Cream (got it ?) : the amazing Jack Bruce.

No, I never saw Cream live...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For those speaking French, Nino Ferrer was an Italian songwriter, lead singer and bass player (among other instruments) always kidding and writing non sense lyrics, but also tragic ones, just like the way he decided to die...

A fun video :

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I need to find some bass players and lead singers still alive. :/

On a more positive note, the amazing Gail Ann Dorsey, with some help from the dodgy-looking geezer in the green shirt.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I need to find some bass players and lead singers still alive. :/

Whatcha talkin' bout Willis?...

Nino Ferrer just changed his name to Dennis Leary...

Screenshot_20200203-215519.png.96438f933ff51e9043413726cd8c4f76.png

Nino Ferrer

Screenshot_20200203-215329.png.cddeeb707430faa62a53bdacac924022.png

Dennis Leary

• Haha 1