Why become a member? ×

Riot powered Basscabs!

Riot_Basscabs

I would MUCH prefer a vertical 2x12". The only reason you see so many diagonally arranged cabs is so that the form factor can match a 4x10 or 1x15 for stacking them. If it's a standalone cab, a vertical arrangement would take up less floor space and have better dispersion. You also wanna use the Eminence 3012 speakers which supposedly kick a$$, I'm looking forward to see what Mr Claber pulls of with those!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='395477' date='Jan 30 2009, 03:26 PM']You also wanna use the Eminence 3012 speakers which supposedly kick a$$, I'm looking forward to see what Mr Claber pulls of with those![/quote]

I got in touch with Thomann and they're getting them in May. 158€ each :-O

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='395481' date='Jan 30 2009, 03:32 PM']Not really worth touching Thomann at the moment with the current Pound <-> Euro conversion rates![/quote]

The Pound <-> dollar is more an issue surely? If the € is high it buys more dollars, so it's the value of the £ against the $ that matters. Then again, I suppose they want a certain number of €s profit so we have to find that.

So yeah, you may be right!

I mailed Bluearan and Eminence UK at the same time as I asked Thomann (24 January). Only Thomann have bothered to reply so far.

Hi All,

I just wanted to mention Craige is a good friend of mine and he told me he wanted to do this project, Im gonna help him with the parts etc but he is building it all himself. Ive had a look at the Celestion BL/BN 12's and I Can get them for him for a good price. He wants to use all English parts etc. The Celestion Truvox seem quite nice also, could even push the boat out and get some Beyma G40 12's !!!

Hardware should be all from Penn Elcom

Im interested to see how he gets on with building the Cabinet.

Cheers,

Robbie.

[quote name='Riot_Basscabs' post='395140' date='Jan 30 2009, 07:37 AM']Wow thanks thats some hardcore questions.

1) I have made a prototype( I said so in my original post)
2) Nope i dont know alot about tone construction but the box i've built sounds amazing and is based on other cabs i've seen.
3) As for speakers i said in my post im still unsure as to exactly the right one but Neo's are def an option.As i said before i have some great techy friends to help me with tech stuff.
4) If your after all the bells and whisles of todays modern amps then this is not for you.Its plug and play as i said.
5)Will the grills effect the sound? Maybe a tiny bit but lets face it...It looks cool!
6) It will be very light.Its 10mm ply and the speakers are gonna be the lightest and most powerfull i can find.
7) Ive read Alex's thread...The guys amazing! and yes i've already took a few tips.
8) Nope im not putting in two imputs for active and passive.Its plug and play.Ive tested a 4 string jazz,An active overwater and an 8 string tapper and they all sound good through the ruff prototype.
9)Come on guys lets have some fun with this.Forget all the techs for a minute and go with pure feeling! I know this will work but dont take my word for it.Just wait for the clips.
10)If it sounds sh*t noones gonna buy it! If you try it and it sounds sh*t your not gonna buy it,If i build iut and it sound sh*t im not gonna sell it!!!! Lets all relax and see what happens!

Cheers again guys for all the ideas.I understand i will get some negatives but its all good.Tone over Tech! lol

Cheers[/quote]

1) Really? I do believe it states your friend has made a prototype for you but I cannot tell whether that [s]occludes[/s] alludes to a cab or just a powersection, sort the grammar out chap.

2) So, you have built a prototype, and you've stated it sounds amazing...to your ears. And "sound amazing" is hardly a description of the sound, is it crisp defined lows with punchy mids and controlled highs? Or does it sound like a wooly mammoth belllowing?

3) You seem to be relying on your friends a lot for advice rather than researching and obtaining the knowledge for yourself. What exactly do you know about cab construction?

4) Even plug and play need some controls, a basic low/mid/high eq is pretty much essential. What happens if you use this cab sans controls in a boomy environment? You'd need to cut the lows a little bit, your cab does not allow that as per the design you've pitched.

5) You're rather excited about this grill of yours, and I hate to say it, but 99% of people who will see your amp on stage won't give too hoots about it, they will care how it sounds (relates to lack of a basic eq).

6) Ok, 10mm ply. Fine. What about bracing? Thinner ply means more bracing is needed inside to keep the cab rigid.

7) Yes, he's awesome isn't he ;)

8) Is it going to have a gain control then? Some passive basses have silly hot outputs (1970's Telebass's, Yamaha Attitudes etc...), and without any sort of pad function you stand a chance of sending the input (or lack of) into clipping, not to mention you'll have to fiddle with it if you change basses during a gig.

9) You're telling us to go with it yet also asking what we'd think? It's your project, you go with it, if you need to defend your ideas and designs after asking us and then being told they're flawed and in need of more development that's up to you, but don't hold it against us when you piss a few hundred quid away.
This is an engineering project, not a piece of art, there are laws of physics you have to take into account so you can find the middleground, luckily common cab design which you are following is roughly in that middleground.

10) Correct and Correct, then why the hell are you asking us what we think of your design and what variables are going to affect it if you're just going to build it and only offer it when it produces a sound that you personally are happy with? Seems arse to front to me.

If you'd have come on going "Guys, I've got this idea to build a combo with a twist, going to be a 2x12, around 400w, but I'm doing away with an amp, it's just going to have a powersection and the required circuitry to make sure there's the correct level input to the poweramp, it's not going to have an EQ section at all. I'm probably going to build it out of 10mm ply to keep the weight down, I want it to be ported as well, any advice on internal construction and anything I've missed with the design?", you'd have gotten much better responses and critical feedback, instead you blundered in like a hyperactive gopher singing praises for a project in which you havn't even go to the "test" section (aka, beta version, or pre-production model, also called test models), with some holes in the design you do have.

I'm happy you're building a cab to your own designs to do what you want, but you really do seem to be lacking in knowledge for the ideas you've conveyed over here.
Good luck to you and I hope it does what you want it to do.

Edited by Buzz

All the very best to you (op).

Many years ago, I was presented with a locally made bass guitar. It was perhaps the ugliest instrument I'd ever seen, but it was fairly well constructed; thru-necked, maple and mahogany neck, maple board, walnut body wings; it played very nicely and had (joy of joys!) red LED position markers. Upon investigation, I found out that it was made by an associate of mine who I'd lost touch with. Less than a year later, that same guy had produced (with help from myself) a bass that ended up being voted bass of the year 2001 by The Guitar and Bass magazine - some of you guys have actually played said bass (the Hornet bass owned by bassworm - Mike Edmunds of Harpenden).

So, what I'm saying is that perhaps Craig is not `currently' endowed with the technical expertise/knowledge of Alex (who seems to have a brain the size of a small planet from what I've read) and all the other experts on here (incidentally, prior to co-founding E Basses, the only woodworking skills I had concerned the construction of coffee tables!) etc but his enthusiasm will hopefully win through; he will glean help and info from others, he will build his cabs and who knows! He might end up with a great position in the marketplace. I wish him well.

Oh, by the way, just bought another bass today! Squier P!

[quote name='acidbass' post='395590' date='Jan 30 2009, 05:50 PM'][i]Alludes[/i] to?

The irony is simply delicious ;)[/quote]

I know, and I'll put my hands up to that one, best bit being is that I had alludes down in the first place but I'd spelt it wrong ergo, it looked wrong.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='395597' date='Jan 30 2009, 05:59 PM']All the very best to you (op).

Many years ago, I was presented with a locally made bass guitar. It was perhaps the ugliest instrument I'd ever seen, but it was fairly well constructed; thru-necked, maple and mahogany neck, maple board, walnut body wings; it played very nicely and had (joy of joys!) red LED position markers. Upon investigation, I found out that it was made by an associate of mine who I'd lost touch with. Less than a year later, that same guy had produced (with help from myself) a bass that ended up being voted bass of the year 2001 by The Guitar and Bass magazine - some of you guys have actually played said bass (the Hornet bass owned by bassworm - Mike Edmunds of Harpenden).

So, what I'm saying is that perhaps Craig is not `currently' endowed with the technical expertise/knowledge of Alex (who seems to have a brain the size of a small planet from what I've read) and all the other experts on here (incidentally, prior to co-founding E Basses, the only woodworking skills I had concerned the construction of coffee tables!) etc but his enthusiasm will hopefully win through; he will glean help and info from others, he will build his cabs and who knows! He might end up with a great position in the marketplace. I wish him well.

Oh, by the way, just bought another bass today! Squier P![/quote]

+1. Lighten up, everyone. We could all learn a lot from this.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='395600' date='Jan 30 2009, 06:02 PM']+1. Lighten up, everyone. We could all learn a lot from this.[/quote]

+2. The guy's intentions are good, I don't think he's immediately intent on challenging against the big cabinet makers in this world, but if it does sound good in the end, then who knows!

I always like to read about something new and different that could be coming our way soon. Its just a pity when certain members have trouble conveying their feelings in a respectful manner but would rather shoot something down in flames and make out that they are full of sh*t.

Shame on you.

Hey Buzz.Sounds like your not a fan of my ideas.Just pop off to another thread then.Im just having a bit of fun building a Cab.Its not your bag,thats fair enough.This is a bass site not an English class,so what if my spelling is bad,whats that got to do with me building a cab.

I dont want to get involved in a slagging match so just relax Buzz and let me do my thing.If it all goes tits up then please feel free to tear me to pieces(If thats your thing?)

Anyway back to the cab issue...I have decided to ditch the grill on the advice of my fellow basschatters.Instead im going to go for a standard grill with an Aluminum logo.
Also the first Cab will bemade from 10 or maybe even 6mm ply(Dont worry it will be very well supported) The finish will be sanded back,wood filled where needed and sprayed with a real nice blue.
Fittings will be chrome as will the grill.

My friend Rob has sorted out a price on some real nice speakers so im gonna buy in a couple of makes and see what suits me best.

I love the idea of a powerd active cab and this is still the dream but i think now for the first Cab im just gonna do is a standard 2x12 compact cab(There are a few issues i did not consider that i have to think about before i dive into that project,Thanks to the guys on this site for pointing them out to me!!!) so i can take it to a couple of bass bashes at let you guys try it out.

Cheers everyone(Except you Buzz!!! LOL!) x

Like I said, I'm happy for you that you're building something to your specs as that's always nice to see, and have I at any point said "stop, it's a bad idea"? I don't think so, but you very much came across as trying to sell us something in the OP.

I still think you've not given all the variables enough thought though.

I do hope it comes together for you though.

As to the rest of you who are trying to comdemn those members who are challenging the idea, I'd much rather be told my idea is flawed and has a good chance of turning out to not be what I'm expecting, along with the area's I need to rethink, than to be slapped on the back by a load of yes men who really wouldn't give two shits if it ended up being useless and costing me a fair bit of dosh and time. Shame on you methinks.

Edited by Buzz

just wanted to mention Craige is a good friend of mine and he told me he wanted to do this project, Im gonna help him with the parts etc but he is building it all himself. Ive had a look at the Celestion BL/BN 12's and I Can get them for him for a good price. He wants to use all English parts etc. The Celestion Truvox seem quite nice also, could even push the boat out and get some Beyma G40 12's !!!

Cheers for that Rob.I spoke to the carpenter guy across the road today and he's gave me some wicked ideas for keeping a strong box with 6mm ply wood.If i can use them we could have a super light weight cab onour hands!

Oh one more thing Buzz.Of course im working on the advice of friends who know more than me.Thats how i lioke to work.Books and websites are great but theres nothing better than hands on experience.Thats how Bill gates got to be where he is today,by surrounding himself and taking one to one advice with the best people he could!( Though i must add...Bill is a bit smarter than me!)

Thanks everyone for all the CONSTRUCTIVE advice!

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='395626' date='Jan 30 2009, 06:35 PM']Craig huh? Were you the same Craig aka Yello banned from Bassworld under a different name for threatening to beat up Crazykiwi at a band gig? I remember CK posting about it and he mentioned the bloke's name was Craig.[/quote]Must be the same guy, as their names are the same. ;)

[quote name='Buzz' post='395624' date='Jan 30 2009, 06:34 PM']As to the rest of you who are trying to comdemn those members who are challenging the idea, I'd much rather be told my idea is flawed and has a good chance of turning out to not be what I'm expecting, along with the area's I need to rethink, than to be slapped on the back by a load of yes men who really wouldn't give two shits if it ended up being useless and costing me a fair bit of dosh and time. Shame on you methinks.[/quote]

Have you had a bad day mate?

Are you suffering from any kind of stress (that is a serious question by the way)?

Hey Buzz.I have taken your point onboard mate and im all up for advice but you can come across a bit aggressive... Lets start fresh mate.Your costructive crit is more than welcome on this thread.Everyone lets get back to the matter of the Cab. Im gonna start on a 6mm ply Cab this weekend so it should be bery light but will it hold up to daily wear?

[quote name='Buzz' post='395624' date='Jan 30 2009, 06:34 PM']Like I said, I'm happy for you that you're building something to your specs as that's always nice to see, and have I at any point said "stop, it's a bad idea"? I don't think so, but you very much came across as trying to sell us something in the OP.

I still think you've not given all the variables enough thought though.

I do hope it comes together for you though.

As to the rest of you who are trying to comdemn those members who are challenging the idea, I'd much rather be told my idea is flawed and has a good chance of turning out to not be what I'm expecting, along with the area's I need to rethink, than to be slapped on the back by a load of yes men who really wouldn't give two shits if it ended up being useless and costing me a fair bit of dosh and time. Shame on you methinks.[/quote]

The problem is not whether or not it will work it is all to do with the tone of what you are saying.

It has nothing to do with challenging the idea.

Groups of people who challenge ideas are generally called teams and can come up with great ideas if the original one has flaws.

You really need to think about how you word things-if I were to hear this spoken face to face in the tone that it looks like, I would be telling you where to get off cos you sound just like you're looking for an arguement.

I am well known for not being a 'yes' man

Good luck to you Craig. I built a speaker cab many years ago based around my ideas for looks and a very very little understanding of the science. It was sh*t. Really sh*t.

But it spurred me on to learn more, and with a lot of further reading (most notably starting with a lot of Alex and BFM's posts on here) I have learnt a hell of a lot and am currently designing and building a new 1x15 cab which should be pretty good - for me...

Anyhoo, I wish you all the best and I hope your experience is better than my first foray into the murky world of bass amplification. ;) Glad you've ditched the grille tho, didn't like that :P

[quote name='steve-soar' post='395642' date='Jan 30 2009, 06:49 PM']Must be the same guy, as their names are the same. ;)[/quote]
As a matter of fact I've just had a look at his user account and it is. Thanks for the heads up ASLOGP, hope things aren't looking too shaky for you in Dubai with the downturn there.

[quote name='Riot_Basscabs' post='395693' date='Jan 30 2009, 08:00 PM']you can come across a bit aggressive...[/quote]
This is coming from someone who threatened to send his mates around to a gig where my band was playing? When it didn't even involve them? You've got a f***ing cheek showing up here. Find another place on the internet to hawk your stuff and make sure you take the courtesy of asking the admin first.

FWIW, if anyone else experiences the same threats of physical violence the same steps will be taken with the aggressor.