Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

I’ve been following Aston Barrett from a very early time, probably around 1977 ,and in my opinion he was one of the best bass players in the world , definitely in my top 3, without his arrangements the wailers music wouldn’t be the same , so much articulation and feel, quite a legend and he will be sadly missed, RIP family man 

IMG_0802.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve been following Aston Barrett from a very early time, probably around 1977 ,and in my opinion he was one of the best bass players in the world , definitely in my top 3, without his arrangements the wailers music wouldn’t be the same , so much articulation and feel, quite a legend and he will be sadly missed, RIP family man.

I don't think the Wailers/Bob Marley would be be a fraction as famous without the superb rhythm section of Aston and Carlton Barrett, both extraordinary and innovative players. There is no doubt he was one of the greatest bass players of all time. If you want to know how to serve a song with a bass line Family Man was the man, what a loss.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I get that is ole' time Ska but from the moment I started listening to it, it just took me back to a feeling of hearing ole' time calyspo, especially through my Grandmother's little blue transistor Radio that never turned away from this particular AM radio station she would play every morning. That feeling and memories I just got was nice...thanks granny for the early morning melodies

• Like 5

I've been listening to a lot of Johnny Osbourne lately (ahead of seeing him and Horace Andy live soon). 

Truth wave Rights being one of my favourite reggae tunes, but 'Never Stop Fighting' is a great album, these first 3 tunes especially:

(the scientist dubs are also really good, on 'Scientist Wins the world cup') 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SumOne said:

I've been listening to a lot of Johnny Osbourne lately (ahead of seeing him and Horace Andy live soon). 

Truth wave Rights being one of my favourite reggae tunes, but 'Never Stop Fighting' is a great album, these first 3 tunes especially:

(the scientist dubs are also really good, on 'Scientist Wins the world cup') 

Great selection there SumOne, I’m also big Johnny Osborne fan , especially when backed by the Roots Radics, Flabba lays down some of those basslines like no one else 

• Like 1

Couldn't find any reference to the Bob Marley biopic 'One Love' here so as I've just been to see it I thought I'd canvas opinions. Today (14/2/24) was apparently the first day of release in the UK, and it was Mrs G's surprise Valentine's day present to me.

I really liked it, moving and inspirational by turns. !t seemed pretty authentic in its UK and Jamaican settings, the lead actor Kingsley B-A seemed to capture BM's persona well and the bass coming out of the cinema's subs was satisfyingly floor-shaking.

Any other fans seen it yet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Any other fans seen it yet

Haven’t seen it yet gasman, I’ve only seen the trailers but I’ll be checking it out as soon as I get a chance, good to hear you saying it’s worth it