Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Something to replace my Schroeder 1212L

Delberthot

I'm looking to replace my current cab with 2 cabs. I find that when used as a monitor it is too much and when used out front it is plenty loud enough but lacks the bottom end.

My amp runs down to 4 ohms so I am looking for 2 8ohm cabs.

The story is that the speakon on the cab stopped locking so I emailed Jorg to find out if I could get a new one. Apparently he did send one but I never received it. I was advised to hold fire and wait for it to come through despite the fact that I've had loads of stuff through from the US and never had to wait as long.

I did email him countless times but heard nothing back - I even started a thread on Talkbass to see if anyone had heard from him as I thought he had went AWOL.

I emailed him yesterday to say that I hadn't had anything through. I received a reply telling me I should just get one locally.

In other words 'f*** off'.

needless to say I am raging and now would like nothing more than to be rid of this cab for something else.

This will be for sale as soon as I find something to replace it. I will replace the speakon and then sell the cab. I want nothing more to do with this company. The cab is less than 18 months old and this component shouldn't need replacing so soon. I will replace it with something that actually locks like it is supposed to.

Should I be annoyed? Given that this cab cost in excess of £600 then I think I am right to want more than this. I had better service from Behringer when I blew one of their cabs - they sent me a new one.

Perhaps it may be better to buy stuff from a large, faceless organisation so that there is no emotional ties. I spoke to the guy at great lengths about what I wanted before ordering this cab so to get this reply is pish.

That's me vented my opinion. I would now like help to pick something new. I'll have a budget of around a grand.

Excuse the bluntness of the thread, I'm still really pissed off.

Edited by Delberthot

Maybe he was just having an off day? Never had to contact him myself but all reports suggest he's a very amiable chap

I remember when something i bought from the USA went missing in the post, the seller immediately sent a replacement at his own cost. That was a set of USA Fender Jazz pickups too!

Now I've had a chance to calm down I can understand where he's coming from in regard to the cost involved in posting something over to me that I could buy for a lot less but that completely misses the point in me buying it in the first place.

I really thought that by buying something from someone that I'd actually had the chance to talk to would mean that should I need anything, it should be a lot easier than if I'd bought it from a much larger company as I would be able to go right to the source with any questions.

I thought I had go on really well with him. we used to talk on MSN Messenger about regular stuff, nothing to do with bass. I respected the fact that he was busy so may not be able to speak for long.

I really need to think about a replacement - whether I want to get another cab that is just as loud and punchy for use in all situations or go with getting 2 smaller cabs. If its one cab then I don't mind if it is heavier, i can get a 4x10" on my cab stand as long as its not too heavy. If its 2 then they would have to be around the weight of my current cab so I can carry one in each arm. This means that 1 cab = 80lbs, 2 cabs = 40lbs each. Another alternative would be to go for a big cab such as a 6x10" for the rock band and a separate dedicated cab for the wedding band.

I've a lot to choose from. So far I'm looking at Bergantino, Genz, DR Bass, Aguilar, Eden (regular & Nemesis). I'm sure that there are loads more.

I'm going to take my time and appreciate all suggestions. I'll probably have a good think when I'm away next week and then make my final decision the following week.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='392724' date='Jan 27 2009, 01:43 PM']I'm actually tempted by the new Trace Elliot stuff as well. A bit more weight wise than what i was originally looking for but that's what casters are for![/quote]
I've just got this:

It's sooo much lighter than the old Trace gear, I was shocked when I first picked it up. Still a ceramic magnet but the cab is just effortlessly light in comparison to the old f**k-heavy Trace gear (still not bareface[b]dB[/b]ass light of course...)

Plus the sound is better (IMO) too. Deeper, fuller, less "barky" but very in-you-face still. I like muchly!

I was actually wondering how accurate their SPL rating was.

I had a load of Trace gear years ago and it still feels like the most sturdy out of everything I've had since. Plus it has Celestions and not those nasty Fane things.

One of the cabs I had was one of the old 1153s. I replaced the driver with another Celestion 300w speaker. The new compact ones are 300w so that would work with the wedding band. the only downside is that from what I've seen, the larger 1518 cab which should have the better bass response is usually only about £20 more expensive and has a higher SPL. Downside in that I'd rather have the smaller cab but could have a fuller sound for an extra few quid but a bigger cab

What's also impressive is that they come with the covers and the big ones come with speakons.

So many combinations:

1153 & 1028H

1153 & 1153

1028H & 1028H

1518 & 1028H

1518 & 1518

1528 & 1028H - lordy lordy- I've just went back onto the trace website and there's a pic of Norman Watt Roy with a pair of this setup

I'm not a big fan of 4x10"s. I'm also not a big fan of the weight of 4x10"s either

Edited by Delberthot

Without accurate measuring facilities I couldn't say, but it seems to be pretty loud vs my 4x8 V-Type cab, which I have always found a very pokey little beast.

I'm tempted by another 1518 or a 1518c to sit atop this. Or maybe a 1028H. I really like the look of the 1015H too ;)

[quote name='Merton' post='392827' date='Jan 27 2009, 03:34 PM']Without accurate measuring facilities I couldn't say, but it seems to be pretty loud vs my 4x8 V-Type cab, which I have always found a very pokey little beast.

I'm tempted by another 1518 or a 1518c to sit atop this. Or maybe a 1028H. I really like the look of the 1015H too ;)[/quote]

My old 300SMX through my old 1153 blew my V-type 4x8 combo to bits volume-wise. In fact everything-wise really, although the 4x8 was nice with my old Dolphin.

You'll be dissapointed now you've heard the Schroeder. Unless you really hate the sound i'm gonna have to tell you to suck it up...

If he really did send you one and it didnt make it (which im inclined to believe due to his wonderful customer service history) then im not surprised he's suggested getting one locally. I really dont think it's "in other words f*** off". Although i havnt seen the context.

You said it yourself, loads of people are interested already. Dont make a big mistake!

Being absolutely honest I do miss the bottom end grunt. I like the sound but its not very manly. A bit light on the bass but then that's due to the design and the size of the cab.

It was a welcome change from my wooly Ashdown ABM15 cabs but I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.

A few years ago, I had a bit of a mish mash setup consisting of a GK 800RB, Trace 1153 and Peavey 410 TX. It sounded fine but looked silly so I gave it the spanish archer and got the Ashdown Evo II rack mount shiny amp thingy and the 2 15" cabs and hated them from day 1 of playing live. They sounded fine on their own but in a gig situation I just couldn;t get a decent sound.

Thing was that the GK & 1153 on their own sounded great with the wedding band but I stupidly sold the lot and bought the wooly behemoth.

I don't want to sell this cab and then regret it so have to choose wisely what the replacement would be - do I go for another lightweight cab with a lightweight sound or what i would call a more traditional, heavier, less efficient cab that produces a good amount of low end?

I suppose I'm drawn to the Trace gear as that's what I used to have. My original setup was a 7210H combo with a 1048H cab which I sold and bought the GK & 1153 in its place as my band had a full PA so I didn;t need the extra grunt. I've been playing in the rock band for a few years now and more and more I am finding that the lack of bottom end is annoying.

I think that this was just the push I needed to go out and look for something more suited to me.

It is a fantastic cab and can be driven so loudly. I've never got anywhere near making it distort. Its just not what I am looking for in a cab anymore. I think I got caught up in the whole lightweight thing. I like my Shuttle as its a nice change from using GK for a long time. I generally keep amps for about 3-4 years.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='393135' date='Jan 27 2009, 08:26 PM']Being absolutely honest I do miss the bottom end grunt. I like the sound but its not very manly. A bit light on the bass but then that's due to the design and the size of the cab.

It was a welcome change from my wooly Ashdown ABM15 cabs but I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.

A few years ago, I had a bit of a mish mash setup consisting of a GK 800RB, Trace 1153 and Peavey 410 TX. It sounded fine but looked silly so I gave it the spanish archer and got the Ashdown Evo II rack mount shiny amp thingy and the 2 15" cabs and hated them from day 1 of playing live. They sounded fine on their own but in a gig situation I just couldn;t get a decent sound.

Thing was that the GK & 1153 on their own sounded great with the wedding band but I stupidly sold the lot and bought the wooly behemoth.

I don't want to sell this cab and then regret it so have to choose wisely what the replacement would be - do I go for another lightweight cab with a lightweight sound or what i would call a more traditional, heavier, less efficient cab that produces a good amount of low end?

I suppose I'm drawn to the Trace gear as that's what I used to have. My original setup was a 7210H combo with a 1048H cab which I sold and bought the GK & 1153 in its place as my band had a full PA so I didn;t need the extra grunt. I've been playing in the rock band for a few years now and more and more I am finding that the lack of bottom end is annoying.

I think that this was just the push I needed to go out and look for something more suited to me.

It is a fantastic cab and can be driven so loudly. I've never got anywhere near making it distort. Its just not what I am looking for in a cab anymore. I think I got caught up in the whole lightweight thing. I like my Shuttle as its a nice change from using GK for a long time. I generally keep amps for about 3-4 years.[/quote]

I think the Trace 1153 is about as underrated a compact rock cab as there is. It's a little lacking in tightness at the bottom, but I used one for years and found it far more useful live than any number of more expensive (flash!) cabs. Mine was far better than my 2 Aggie GS112s in the setting I was using it, much punchier and more aggressive.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Delberthot' post='392981' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:53 PM']You've no idea how many people are interested in this.[/quote]
No worries. I'd be happy to pay full whack for another - just be nice to pick one up cheaper.

I love mine. And I don't find its lacking in bottom end at all really.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='393346' date='Jan 28 2009, 01:25 AM']No worries - you're third on the list

There are a silly amount of people interested in this cab. I don;t think that it will make it to the for sale section.[/quote]

Sorry to here about your problem.
I have the feeling Jorg was only saying to get one local as it would be the quickest way to get you up and running. I do understand your issue with that though but personally i would have just sorted it out if the cab was needed quickly.
When i got my 1212L one of the drivers went funny within two gigs and i had to take the whole thing apart to find out what the trouble was. Jorg (and Shaun) were very helpful over this but due to the distance between us the quickest fix was for me to do it myself, once the new driver had been delivered. I guess if i had brought local or from a large company like Thomann's i would have just sent it back for a replacement.

Good luck with finding something to replace it with. Ive not had any problems filling a room with low end and while its not an extended low end like bigger cabs will produce the 1212L has a nice clean, tight low end that i feel works well for me, especially on wooden stages and i tend to play them a lot.