Why become a member? ×

Clicking Wrist

RayFW

My left wrist (fretting hand) makes a clicking noise when I move it sometimes. I only noticed it when someone pointed it out to me whilst setting up a laptop in a meeting so it could have been like this for ages and I've never noticed. I have no pain and no swelling but I did break my wrist twice in the space of 8 weeks as a kid (dozy bugger I know!)
My job entails a hell of a lot of typing so I wonder whether that may be contributing. I guess a trip to the docs is the best course of action but just wondered if anyone else had anything similar and whether I should be worrying (especially as I've just taken up EUB)

And no, I've not worn it out by.. you know...
;)

If it's not causing any pain or anything, and it's not causing any problems (ala, can't grip at a certain angle/uncomfortable to do so) and like you said, you've never noticed it, I'd say it's nothing to worry about.

I know I've got a number of clicking joints from various injuries, which thanks to having strong bones meant there were no breakages, just slight shifts and damage to cartiliage, but they don't affect any activities...well, barring my right ankle which clicks really loudly, so I have to make sure I don't absent mindidly click it when in librarys/quiet classrooms/exam etc.
Ah, good old sports injuries, I think that one was from being forced to jump into a swimming pool that was far too shallow for me to do so, what with being a tallish lad for my age in primary school, upset all the nerves and couldn't put weight on it for 2 weeks, joyfull times.

By all means I'm not a health expert though, so if you've got concerns get it checked out.

You could also do muscle strengthening exercies on the effected joints, strong muscles help support everything.

[quote name='RayFW' post='391380' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:31 AM']My left wrist (fretting hand) makes a clicking noise when I move it sometimes. I only noticed it when someone pointed it out to me whilst setting up a laptop in a meeting so it could have been like this for ages and I've never noticed. I have no pain and no swelling but I did break my wrist twice in the space of 8 weeks as a kid (dozy bugger I know!)
My job entails a hell of a lot of typing so I wonder whether that may be contributing. I guess a trip to the docs is the best course of action but just wondered if anyone else had anything similar and whether I should be worrying (especially as I've just taken up EUB)[/quote]

Serious response. If you haven't heard it, are your ears OK?

Balcro.

Well in my case my left wrist clicking is a warning that my RSI is about to kick off if I dont a) lay off clicking it and ;) rest it as much as possible and c) make sure I'm not putting it under any undue strain typing at work.

I'd keep a close eye on it if I were you....

Thanks for all the replies chaps. I'll book myself into the docs and get it checked.

[quote]Serious response. If you haven't heard it, are your ears OK?[/quote]

They're fine as far as I can tell. I wear my watch loose and it rattles a bit when I move my hand which has probably been masking the sound.

[quote name='tombboy' post='391682' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:09 PM']Generally, the 'clicking' noise you here is not bone or ligament. It's escaping gas (hydrogen I believe) which has built up in the 'pocket' of the joint through inactivity. Absolutely nothing to worry about but you'd still be wise to get it checked out.[/quote]

This is very true. Nearly every joint in my body clicks. My neck, my back, my knees, all three joints on my fingers, my hips, my wrists, my shoulders, my elbows, my ankles, my toes. I can do it on demand usually and is quite a party trick although my neck and back usually makes girls feel sick ;):) I spoke to my physio once when my neck and shoulders needed some work and she said that its just build up of air escaping. She said its nothing to worry about unless it hurts.

[quote name='Linus27' post='393757' date='Jan 28 2009, 03:34 PM']........its just build up of air escaping......its nothing to worry about [u][b]unless it hurts[/b][/u].[/quote]

This is generally true, but the main point here - 'no pain' = not likely to be RSI/arthritic damage/tenosynovitis/tendonosis....or any other unpleasant stuff you care to mention!

That said though, [b]IF[/b] you're in any way worried, go & see GP/physio............peace of mind etc. ;)

Karl

[quote name='simwells' post='393938' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:57 PM']I also have very clicky wrists, though unlike every other joint that clicks in my body I can continue to click them unlimited times straight after each other. I've never understood why they do this as the gas can't be building up again that fast can it?[/quote]
It can.... your body is not a sealed unit. Organs intertwine and mesh together. It's not like the A&P books you study at school. Think 'trapped wind' and 'fart attack' etc. You are a complete chemical reaction which produces gas at an alarming rate. It's got to harbour somewhere and will find the most obscure places.... pockets in joints being some of them. ;)

Edited by tombboy