Why become a member? ×

I would love to sound the same

Al Krow

I don’t know about wanting to sound exactly like them, but guys that stand out sonically to me are:

Chris Squire - THE tone, for me

Leigh Gorman (Bow Wow Wow)

John Entwistle (Alembic-era)

Roger Glover on Machinehead

Glenn Hughes on Made In Europe

Stanley Clarke on his earlier albums

Stuart Zender in Jamiroquai

Gary Thain in Uriah Heep

Geezer Butler on Heaven & Hell

Mark King (Jaydee & Alembic eras)

Bernard Edwards

Rutger Gunnarsson

John Paul Jones circa L Zep 2 

• Like 3

For me its...

Jeffrey Hammomd-Hammond.  Not even a bassist, took uo the instrument when invited by his good friend Ian Anderson to join Jethro Tull.  Despite learning songs note for note by rote he could deliver some punchy fast lines, and knew how to be subtle too.  Also the guy had true rock style.  It was common back then for musos to smoke on stage, a la Page, Hendrix etc, but Hammond-Hammomd smoked a pipe on stage - style that only the eccentric British members of 70s Tull could pull off.  He eventually quit Tull, gave away his bass, burned the stripey suit, and never played again. 

John Paul Jones.  I'll go out on a limb and say circa Them Crooked Vultures.  Man, hes still got it.

Lemmy.  A rock God so awesome I even named my dog after him.  Ok, his playing wasn't technically exciting, but the guy was shamefully unconventional in his style and it just kinda worked.  Throw in a hefty dose of attitude, and there's a man who lived through his art. We're not worthy.

I don't go put of my way to copy other bassists style, but I wouldn't be unhappy to be compared to any of these bass gods.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 2

I love sounding like me, in general, but I would dearly love to be able to sound like this:

The song that brought the bass to my attention, aged 13. JPJ is still my favourite bass player, and probably, for me, the finest musician ever to work in rock and roll

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@MrCrane I take it you're an upright player? Can't deny how sexy that DB sounded at 3.27 onwards!

Sadly no, but if I was, that's how I'd want to sound.

As Tom Lehrer said about another Danny, "he's been a particular idol of mine since childbirth" 🙂

If I had to specify one electric bass player, then I'd probably go for Jack Casady

Edited by MrCrane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

For me its...

Jeffrey Hammomd-Hammond.  Not even a bassist, took uo the instrument when invited by his good friend Ian Anderson to join Jethro Tull.  Despite learning songs note for note by rote he could deliver some punchy fast lines, and knew how to be subtle too.  Also the guy had true rock style.  It was common back then for musos to smoke on stage, a la Page, Hendrix etc, but Hammond-Hammomd smoked a pipe on stage - style that only the eccentric British members of 70s Tull could pull off.  He eventually quit Tull, gave away his bass, burned the stripey suit, and never played again. 

John Paul Jones.  I'll go out on a limb and say circa Them Crooked Vultures.  Man, hes still got it.

Lemmy.  A rock God so awesome I even named my dog after him.  Ok, his playing wasn't technically exciting, but the guy was shamefully unconventional in his style and it just kinda worked.  Throw in a hefty dose of attitude, and there's a man who lived through his art. We're not worthy.

I don't go put of my way to copy other bassists style, but I wouldn't be unhappy to be compared to any of these bass gods.

How did I forget Lem? Oh, and JJBurnel of course.

To answer the OP, I'll pitch in with another vote for Chris Squire. But rather than sound lke him, or anyone for that matter, I'd rather develop a sound of my own that is distinct and embodies my musical voice. (I haven't BTW - I'm just citing the aspiration.)

There's more than just a clanky sound to this. Lots of "experts" say, boost the highs etc, but I haven't heard a single bass player on You Tube coming anywhere near the sound. There's something more, to my ears it sounds like a bit of an overdriven sound almost like tube amp, but don't think he uses tube amps anymore. Is it the 12 inch EV speakers? The nearest I can get to the sound when the flats on my sig. p bass are fresh, but they don't stay fresh long.

It's possible to process the sound via VST and post mixing process but then again it's not as straight forward as to plug in bass and off we go.

Anyway, Steve's bass sound inspired me to play bass.