Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2024 at 21:09, neepheid said:

Classic rock route one - Wishing Well, by Free.

Have you used any effects to try and get the tone and if so what are they?

Today I'm learning Wishing Well, yesterday it was Crossroads (Willie Weeks 2010 live version with Clapton) and All My Loving (The Beatles version).

2 hours ago, kiat said:

Have you used any effects to try and get the tone and if so what are they?

Today I'm learning Wishing Well, yesterday it was Crossroads (Willie Weeks 2010 live version with Clapton) and All My Loving (The Beatles version).

I'm just happy to get the correct notes in the correct places most of the time.  Nor do I have a lot of effects to choose from - just varying degrees of OD and a harmoniser (which does a variety of things, but is mostly used as an auto downtuner, or as an octave doubler - we only have a single guitarist so some songs sound better with me having the octave above)

For Wishing Well, it's neck pickup (if there's a choice), tone wound down, OD on, probably at its mildest setting - just want a bit of grit.  I dunno how "faithful" that is to the original, but at least it sounds like I paid some attention to it ;)

The OD in question is in my Joyo Monomyth, but any appropriately set OD will do the job I reckon.  I like OD pedals that have a couple of degrees of severity available at the flick of a switch, punters don't want to see me fiddling with knobs for five minutes between each song.  "This is a heavy one" - flick a switch, job done.

• Like 1

Last night I decided to learn Protege Moi on the chapman stick because I haven't used it that much recently, so if I learn something I can play at an open mic or something, it kind of forces my hand!

After the suggestion to do Mr Brightside was shot down by our guitarist claiming it was too difficult, I may have offered to give it a go and that we might swap instruments for a song. [insert name of chosen deity here] help me.

• Haha 4

I accidentally forgot to cancel a free trial to Ultimate Guitar so I'm currently working my way through the top bass tabs.

Some stuff in there I've never learned but should have, some stuff I learned and forgot, and the occasional one I had to skip over. A few RHCP ones I'd forgotten just how fun they are to play cropped up too like Californiacation etc.

I've gotten really weak at playing with fingers over the last couple of years so it's been a great little workout.

10 hours ago, asingardenof said:

After the suggestion to do Mr Brightside was shot down by our guitarist claiming it was too difficult, I may have offered to give it a go and that we might swap instruments for a song. [insert name of chosen deity here] help me.

I'd rather play that bassline than the guitar part! Learnt it as it'll come up at jam nights, if not the band.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, neepheid said:

I'm just happy to get the correct notes in the correct places most of the time.  Nor do I have a lot of effects to choose from - just varying degrees of OD and a harmoniser (which does a variety of things, but is mostly used as an auto downtuner, or as an octave doubler - we only have a single guitarist so some songs sound better with me having the octave above)

For Wishing Well, it's neck pickup (if there's a choice), tone wound down, OD on, probably at its mildest setting - just want a bit of grit.  I dunno how "faithful" that is to the original, but at least it sounds like I paid some attention to it ;)

The OD in question is in my Joyo Monomyth, but any appropriately set OD will do the job I reckon.  I like OD pedals that have a couple of degrees of severity available at the flick of a switch, punters don't want to see me fiddling with knobs for five minutes between each song.  "This is a heavy one" - flick a switch, job done.

Thanks @neepheid. I hadn't thought of OD. I'll have a play around. Like you said, I'm not after a perfect match, just good enough that adds something familiar sounding to the playing. Have you played it much since learning it?

I’ll be doing Jam Night with a different band this month.  Although it is my slot at the Jam night. I asked for their set list rather than me imposing any on them to learn.  I chose:

Make me Smile (Steve Harley).  I used to play it on keys 25 years or so ago, but not on bass.

I’m a Believer (the Monkees)

Old Time Rock ‘n’ Roll (Bob Seger)

Blue Suede Shoes (Elvis Presley)

The last 2 are 12 bar Blues progressions that the band do in the same key - that should reduce the  leaning time on those songs.

12 hours ago, kiat said:

Thanks @neepheid. I hadn't thought of OD. I'll have a play around. Like you said, I'm not after a perfect match, just good enough that adds something familiar sounding to the playing. Have you played it much since learning it?

Played it at a couple of gigs so far, went down pretty well.

8 hours ago, Simon C said:

The last 2 are 12 bar Blues progressions that the band do in the same key - that should reduce the  leaning time on those songs.

I was listening to Don't Bring Me Down by ELO the other day, and realised it's essentially a bastardised 12-bar blues (aside from the bridge).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was listening to Don't Bring Me Down by ELO the other day, and realised it's essentially a bastardised 12-bar blues (aside from the bridge).

I’ll have a listen.  12bar blues is good for Jam Night: the other musicians know the secret and the punters don’t so are always amazed that you can all get up on stage having not played together before and play a song that sounds good 😀.  Knowing the song so that you can contribute some vocals is a bonus.

2 hours ago, Simon C said:

I’ll have a listen.  12bar blues is good for Jam Night: the other musicians know the secret and the punters don’t so are always amazed that you can all get up on stage having not played together before and play a song that sounds good 😀.  Knowing the song so that you can contribute some vocals is a bonus.

It's rather different but the basic structure is there. Very easy song though.

• Thanks 1