Why become a member? ×

21 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I've just bought a Sennheiser XSW IEM setup that operates in the 823-832MHz band. I've signed up with OfCom as a PMSE casual user and looked at buying a licence before I venture out to use it live. Unhelpfully, there is no mention of this band alongside the UHF Channel 38 licence, except they say 'Channel 69: the band 790 - 862 MHz (including Channel 69) was cleared of PMSE use from 1st January 2013.' As I understand it, 823-832MHz was added in 2015. Is the OfCome website really that out-of-date or am I missing something? I think I'll give them a call!

It does appear on the licence when they send it you. The website isn't the easiest place to find information though.

Screenshot_20231009_231041_Drive.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

It does appear on the licence when they send it you. The website isn't the easiest place to find information though.

Screenshot_20231009_231041_Drive.jpg

Thanks, that's very helpful! Did you click on 'Buy UK Mic Licence' in the main menu? It opens the page seen in the other screenshot. I don't want to spend £75 on the wrong thing.

I'm not going to need this until my next theatre gig in December but I wanted to get my ducks in a row.

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 08.35.22.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 08.40.00.png

• Like 1

On 08/10/2023 at 22:47, SimBass said:

I use the comply foam tips, I'm pretty sure you'll need 500 core size but the full compatibility chart can be downloaded here:

https://complyfoam.com.au/compatibility/#:~:text=Comply™ Foam Tips are,or see compatibility chart below.

That's my question, on other sites it says inner core is 4mm and on comply page says it firs 5mm...

2 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

@jimmyb625 what is the lead time once you have paid? Do you get a pdf to download or by email, or do they post out a paper licence?

I'm fairly sure you can download it instantly, certainly they'll email a copy within a day or so, but as long as you have the licence number, you're set.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Thanks, that's very helpful! Did you click on 'Buy UK Mic Licence' in the main menu? It opens the page seen in the other screenshot. I don't want to spend £75 on the wrong thing.

I'm not going to need this until my next theatre gig in December but I wanted to get my ducks in a row.

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 08.35.22.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 08.40.00.png

Yep, that was the one.

• Thanks 1

Well I got my licence, downloaded it, and printed off the relevant pages to put in the case with my IEM setup. This Saturday I have my first fully cable-free gig - wireless IEMs and Boss WL-20 wireless link from bass to pedalboard.

Now to strut freely around the stage like the true rock god that I am!

• Like 1

I have been using a lekato 5.8ghz xlr wireless mic system with a Behringer p2 as a DIY wireless IEM setup.

I had been noticing that my mix had been a bit distorted and at Saturdays gig we narrowed it down to coming from the Lekato.

I swapped out to a xlr cable for our first set but kept tripping over it, and so for second set I swapped back to the Lekato. I decided that I preferred the distortion over tripping over a cable.

the lekato doesn’t have any settings, so need to have a look at the settings on our digital mixer and try and see what’s going on, as when I test the lekato at home on my preamp and amp, it sounded fine.

some others in the band are using a gear4music wireless set, so another option is to get an extra pack for that 

I have exactly the same setup and experienced exactly the same thing (and did the same thing with the XLR subbing): turned out the BL/mixer owner had farted around with the aux channels. Output down on the mixer, volume up on the P2. Sorted.

9 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I have exactly the same setup and experienced exactly the same thing (and did the same thing with the XLR subbing): turned out the BL/mixer owner had farted around with the aux channels. Output down on the mixer, volume up on the P2. Sorted.

Thats great, hopefully this will save me from having to buy something else. Although the Lekato + P2 combination is a bit bulky, it does seem to work pretty well with no drop outs etc

Yeah, it's a truncheon of a thing, takes a bit of sorting out with where to latch it best, but it's definitely the best value for money IEM wireless solution out there; never had an issue with mine (BL/output tweaker notwithstanding) in a couple of dozen gigs now...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dand666 said:

Never heard of these Lekatos, any good? Seem reasonable for £80

I’ve used the XLR one for about 6 gigs now and it’s been reliable (apart from the distortion mentioned in the above post which I think is due to the mixer)

it’s just a bit bulky when plugged into the P2

Firstly massive thanks for this thread, it’s been utterly amazing at helping me get to grips with our ampless setup. 

I’ve been using KZ AS10’s with the sonicfoam tips but I’ve had a landmark birthday and have a bit of extra cash gifted to me, so have decided to get some custom’s made up. I’m in the UK, Scotland to be precise, so I’m a bit restricted to ACS Customs. 

My question is has anyone managed to make the KZ’s fit an ACS custom plug or am I going to need to stretch to the Evolve Classics, as the chat seems to be that anything less than 3 drivers are going to be insufficient for bass?

I like the KZ’s, and they do the job for me, but the thought of a more comfier fitting with the customs is the draw. And I suppose I’m selfishly looking for the best of both worlds without having to drop £1000 on a set of IEMs. 

Cheers in advance for any advice at all. 

Alright lads. I've ploughed through this thread after rinsing the previous one and going through the OP with a fine toothed comb. 

We're revisiting the IEM option a decade after being offered an artist deal with JH but deciding to stick with floor wedges and sidefills as we liked a loud stage sound and were playing bigger stages and festivals 🙈

I'm hoping to shift my Skunkworks SVT head to finance, so should have a healthy budget. Probably will go wired first just to get used to it. 

Have we any other opinions on Lugs? I know your man a few pages back wasn't keen but everything else I've read has been really positive. 

For the price of his Pro 10s (£950) you would be paying a lot more for the equivalent amount of drivers - 10 driver JH Pro 16s (£1800) or 9 driver 64 Audio N8 (£1494). 

Is there a law of diminishing returns for drivers? How much better will a 10 driver IEM be over say a 6 driver one? 

I'm singing for around 50% of our set so would want something that has good midrange and high end as well as giving me plenty of punch (not too fussed about something proper subby). 

Any opinions/advice appreciated. 

Thanks 🫡

In short - more drivers = more headroom and more control (speakers don't have to work as hard to get to a comfortable operating volume). Think of a 1x10 speaker vs a 8x10 cab for. practice. Youll be thraping that 1x10 to keep up with a drum kit and it won't necessarily be sounding its best... but the 8x10 will be on tickover.

Its not as easy as that though - the more drivers (especially of varying types) you put into an earpiece, the more difficult it is to get them to work cohesively, without phasing issues. The big advantage the larger brands have, is that they can order balanced armatures to their specific needs to manufacture a device that will fit precisely with their designs. Smaller operations just haven't got the budget available to do such things.

The thing is, creating a decent sounding multidriver IEM is difficult and time consuming - and in reality, the R&D that you paying for. The cost of IEMs were historically high due to the very hands on process in creating them. Whilst this has been reduced due to 3d printing etc - it's now the investment in the manufacturing machines that require the money! Anyway, you are right, there is a certain element of diminishing returns... I think the sweet spot is a quad - T, M, B, B... but for sure, you'll pay more and get better performance... but the gains may not seem that great compared to the investment. And of course, each IEM has a different sound signature... so some people won't like the inherent sound signature of a set of IEMs, just like people prefer one bass cab over another. IEMs generally are not flat response - because historically flat response isn't what the human ear likes. With digital desks, this has become less of a crucial point... don't like certain bumps in the IEM signature? Simple, a digital desk with a EQ on the aux output can fix that...   

As for JH... well... JH have Jerry's knowhow - and he has arguably been the top tier designer of IEMs... and is still pushing the boundaries today.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed response! 

I see the custom IEM company has universal demo units. 

Might make an appointment to head down and listen to some options and get my impressions done from them. 

Definitely wouldn't be wanting to go lower than quads 🤠

1 hour ago, MrPring said:

Thanks for the detailed response! 

I see the custom IEM company has universal demo units. 

Might make an appointment to head down and listen to some options and get my impressions done from them. 

Definitely wouldn't be wanting to go lower than quads 🤠

Good call - Paul will sort you out.

UE6 would be my only exception for going lower than a quad.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I've recently bought an 'assorted' pack of Comply tips, and now I know my size, the other two pairs are spare. If anyone wants them to try, or a particular pair to add to their stock, I'm happy to post them on.

They are Comply 100 "Fits; Klipsch, Shure, Etymotic research, Westone, and more", and the small and medium pairs are available..

I'll leave this here for a day, then repost it in Freecycle.

David