Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Markbass CMD 121P - DI out problem?

MJE

I’ve owned this amp for a good few years now and the only problem I’d ever had was a build up of debris on the switch which led to power interruptions. 

When I started using a Zoom B3 I was using that to send signal to FoH instead of using the built in out on the back of the amp. However, after some problems with the pedal I went back to the DI on the back of the amp on a gig last night and the sound guy was complaining about the lack of signal being pushed to the desk (it was also very noticeable through our IEMs) even through the line out level on the amp was high. Has anyone else had any problems with the out on the back of their amp? Is there an obvious explanation/fix for this that anyone has ever encountered? 

Any help appreciated 

On the amp control panel,  the Line Out knob, far right under the on/off switch adjusts the DI level out. where have you got that set? I've never had to set it more than halfway for a strong signal. 

Edited by Muppet

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

On the amp control panel,  the Line Out knob, far right under the on/off switch adjusts the DI level out. where have you got that set? I've never had to set it more than halfway for a strong signal. 

Me neither - until yesterday... that’s why I’m thinking there’s a fault somewhere 

I used to have one of these amps and the DI out was always too hot for the desk. I used the DI on my EBS Microbass pedal. I had no idea you could change the level, but it was about 12 years ago so maybe the amp has changed a bit... quite possible I missed it, though. As it happened, the DI from the EBS wasn't too shabby...

• 4 years later...

I suddenly experienced the exact same problem with mine last Friday at a gig. I normally use my 2x10 (same combo head) with a 15" extension cab but there wasn't room, so I swapped out with my mini CMD12 with 12" extension cab. Using the same settings as with my 2x10 I was getting virtually no signal to the desk. I had the line-out control full up. Pushing up the input gain on the mixer helped get some signal through but about half way through our first set my volume suddenly shot up off the scale of the desk's VU meter. I always have the 2 buttons (Earth Lift & Pre/Post Eq) in the out position. I think there must be a dry joint on the circuit board or possibly some other loose connection. When I get time, I'll open it up and have a prod around. If I find something that's easily rectified, I'll post back here.

The DI on my CMD121P became unreliable a couple of years ago. Would be working fine one day then inexplicably drop out mid-gig the next. 
Investigated trying to get it fixed but most amp repairers won’t touch Markbass gear. Didn’t particularly fancy the faff of sending it up to the authorised repair place up in Sheffield so I just avoid the DI now and use a separate box at gigs; the amp has been brilliant apart from that and it’s probably done hundreds of shows with me by now so willing to put up with the slight inconvenience of the dodgy DI. 
If I do find myself playing up In Sheffield though I will drop by Real Electronics and see what they can do. Sounds like it’s not an uncommon issue…

On 18/12/2019 at 22:50, mybass said:

Maybe the sound guys gear wasn’t working correctly was a weapons grade cretin who wanted to be in a band rather than being a sound guy and as a result of bitterness and disappointment at himself never learned how to do this vital job properly so if there was any justice in the world he would be launched into the sun with nothing more than pizza with pineapple on it to keep him company?

Fixed that for you.

Ok, opened mine up this evening to see what the problem might be. Connected the line out direct to a QSC K 10.;2 to see what was coming out the 'LINE out' xlr. Took the internal speaker out, took the amp head out, pluggeg my bass in. Found the sound was very crackly when touching the "Pre/Post EQ"switch.

Sprayed some SERVISOL SUPER 10 on the switch, now; No crackle, smooth signal to desk - everything sorted !

Very easy to fix !

• Like 4