Why become a member? ×

Ampeg??

ropeman23

I'm about to buy.... possibly a second amp!? And could do with your thoughts.

At the moment I play through a GK 700RB which I'm quite happy with. I have recently managed to blow both my cabs a 1x15 and a 2x10. I think trying to pump to much power through them! Ooops.

Having a combo would be handy in addition to my head for smaller gigs / practice etc.

I've been offered an Ampeg B2 1x15 combo with a svt210he cab both usa made for around £450 does that sound like a good deal? What are the B2 amps like?

Seconly my plans would be probably for bigger gigs, run the GK preamp out and use the B2 as the power amp to run the 15 + the 2x10 what do you reckon? Or do you think the B2 would prooduce a better sound than GK?

Any advise would be great.

[quote name='ropeman23' post='385819' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:11 AM']I'm about to buy.... possibly a second amp!? And could do with your thoughts.

At the moment I play through a GK 700RB which I'm quite happy with. I have recently managed to blow both my cabs a 1x15 and a 2x10. I think trying to pump to much power through them! Ooops.

Having a combo would be handy in addition to my head for smaller gigs / practice etc.

I've been offered an Ampeg B2 1x15 combo with a svt210he cab both usa made for around £450 does that sound like a good deal? What are the B2 amps like?

Seconly my plans would be probably for bigger gigs, run the GK preamp out and use the B2 as the power amp to run the 15 + the 2x10 what do you reckon? Or do you think the B2 would prooduce a better sound than GK?

Any advise would be great.[/quote]

I use a B2R head going into an Ashdown 4 X 10 and I think it is amazing.

Before I bought the Ampeg I had a Trace Elliot that I bought secondhand it was very good but the sound wasn't for me, might be worth looking into.

I'm confused by this one... it sounds to me like you need more power handling rather than less if you've been unfortunate enough to blow your speakers.

Yes the B2 is a nice combo, and with an Ampeg 210 it would make a nice rig by itself.

However i doubt that you blew your speakers in a 'practice' scenario where your potential new rig would be operating (per your description). If that is where you blew them then you just need to turn down...!

The 700RB is a great amp but is hard to make it clip/distort. Thats the beauty of them. If you were driving it to try and make it clip then that could be where you are going wrong (i don't know what sound you are after??)

So, my advice would be... if you like the clean sound of the 700RB then just get better speakers (and maybe back off the volume a little). Something like the Schroeder 1210 would give you ample headroom with handling of 900w, in a cab smaller than the B2 by itself.
if you want dirty sound then i doubt the GK is going to give it to you, so you might be better swapping it all out.

In my opinion... : )

[quote name='coasterbass' post='385948' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:42 PM']I'm confused by this one... it sounds to me like you need more power handling rather than less if you've been unfortunate enough to blow your speakers.

Yes the B2 is a nice combo, and with an Ampeg 210 it would make a nice rig by itself.

However i doubt that you blew your speakers in a 'practice' scenario where your potential new rig would be operating (per your description). If that is where you blew them then you just need to turn down...!

The 700RB is a great amp but is hard to make it clip/distort. Thats the beauty of them. If you were driving it to try and make it clip then that could be where you are going wrong (i don't know what sound you are after??)

So, my advice would be... if you like the clean sound of the 700RB then just get better speakers (and maybe back off the volume a little). Something like the Schroeder 1210 would give you ample headroom with handling of 900w, in a cab smaller than the B2 by itself.
if you want dirty sound then i doubt the GK is going to give it to you, so you might be better swapping it all out.

In my opinion... : )[/quote]

I should clarify that I blew my cabs at my last gig and not in a practice session.

I have done well with them up to now as they were both 150W so I think I was always taking a chance running the GK through them anyway. At the time it was a cheap option that got me through. I know I could re-cone them, but they are way past there best and really need to go in the bin!

I guess in an ideal world I should buy a 2x10 for the quieter band (which I have just joined) and a 4x10 for the louder band, but I don't think my cash will go that far. Another thing to throw into the mix here is that I have a problem with storage, I don't think I can keep anything bigger than a combo / head and 2x10 in my flat. The equipment I currently use for the larger band lives on the road / in storage. So in short if I did buy just a 4x10 it could live with the bands equipment, but would give me nothing to use with the quieter band. Confused!!??

The B2 option with the cab is just an idea as it's on my doorstep and I have two gigs at the weekend with the louder band and need to sort something quite quickly.

I guess really what I want to know is, is it a good deal + what would they be worth separately? ie. the B2 combo on its own and the 2x10 on its own?

And yes I do really like the clean sound of my GK I think it's a great amp.

B series are quite problematic - their advance is that they are relatively cheap for Ampeg amp, disadvances are that I never hear anybody says "I have/play B series ampeg and I like it" I found many people bought them "because its Ampeg it cant be wrong" but as time gon on and they gained few experiences with expensivier amps they get rid of B´s as soon as possible.
I fear that they have nothing to do with "real ampeg" but brand name and design.
I dont like GK character but I would never swap GK RB series for AMpeg B series...

Edited by Kubs

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='386576' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:13 PM']I would get 2 2x10's. Leave 1 with the big band and use both, take the other home for the small band. Job Done.[/quote]

I'm being harangued by Mrs A to get off the compueter as we need to be elsewhere 10 mins ago - and I've not read the whole thread, but - in I was in Dawsons today and they are clearing all their Ampeg at about 40% off.

Not sure if that's relavant?

Go to go!!!

A

[quote name='Kubs' post='386506' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:19 PM']B series are quite problematic - their advance is that they are relatively cheap for Ampeg amp, disadvances are that I never hear anybody says "I have/play B series ampeg and I like it" I found many people bought them "because its Ampeg it cant be wrong" but as time gon on and they gained few experiences with expensivier amps they get rid of B´s as soon as possible.
I fear that they have nothing to do with "real ampeg" but brand name and design.
I dont like GK character but I would never swap GK RB series for AMpeg B series...[/quote]

Quite frankly not true, my B series is made to a high standard and makes a very good noise in fact I said so earlier in the thread.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='386599' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:30 PM']Quite frankly not true, my B series is made to a high standard and makes a very good noise in fact I said so earlier in the thread.[/quote]

He did, y'know.

[quote](bass_ferret @ Jan 20 2009, 07:13 PM)
I would get 2 2x10's.[/quote]

Surely you mean a 1x15 and a 4x10 :P ;)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='386576' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:13 PM']I would get 2 2x10's. Leave 1 with the big band and use both, take the other home for the small band. Job Done.[/quote]

Good thinking! Do you think it's worth buying the 2x10 and the B2 keeping the 2x10 and selling the B2 combo? Still trying to work out whether this is a good deal at £450 or not, never seen a B2 for sale before.

[quote name='The Admiral' post='386587' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:20 PM']I'm being harangued by Mrs A to get off the compueter as we need to be elsewhere 10 mins ago - and I've not read the whole thread, but - in I was in Dawsons today and they are clearing all their Ampeg at about 40% off.

Not sure if that's relavant?

Go to go!!!

A[/quote]

Very relavant where's Dawsons?

[quote name='ropeman23' post='386704' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:47 PM']Good thinking! Do you think it's worth buying the 2x10 and the B2 keeping the 2x10 and selling the B2 combo? Still trying to work out whether this is a good deal at £450 or not, never seen a B2 for sale before.[/quote]
Not familiar with the B2 but if you like the sound of the GK why buy another amp. Also Ampegs do tend to have an Ampeg sound and you dont want to hear the Ampeg, you want to hear your bass.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='386599' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:30 PM']Quite frankly not true, my B series is made to a high standard and makes a very good noise in fact I said so earlier in the thread.[/quote]
I just "re-said" what I heard :P
Sorry if I sound like to Iam throwing filth on B series :) I should just say that for its price it could do job well.... :huh:

But my opinion stays - keep GK Iam conviced that GK rule solidstate range well, ampeg is valve king ;)

P.S: I dislike all non-alltube Ampeg amps....worst experience for me was SVT3/SVP Pro :-(

Edited by Kubs

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='386815' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:03 PM']Well there is a very nice man in Brighton who will probably be more than happy to let you have a rig for the weekend - the problem is you will be hooked ;)[/quote]

Well that's the man I'm talking about. I know he has a 6x10 which I can probably have for the weekend, but as you say I will be hooked and it's just gonna be to big + the price!

[quote name='Kubs' post='386807' date='Jan 20 2009, 09:58 PM']But my opinion stays - keep GK Iam conviced that GK rule solidstate range well, ampeg is valve king ;)[/quote]

I think that is way too simplistic, I think Trace Elliot, Peavey, Ashdown and many others do very good solidstate amps.

To me the only things you should concider when buying an amp should be:

1. Does it sound the way you want?

2. Is it loud enough/powerful enough for what you need?

3. Can you afford it?

What else matters?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='386834' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:18 PM']I think that is way too simplistic, I think Trace Elliot, Peavey, Ashdown and many others do very good solidstate amps.

To me the only things you should concider when buying an amp should be:

1. Does it sound the way you want?

2. Is it loud enough/powerful enough for what you need?

3. Can you afford it?

What else matters?[/quote]

AYYEE I meant that GK is nice amp in solid state amps range - not meant that its best!!! (btw those you mention are also "valved" in preamp-but ok also have solid states models -its not important)

I know that saying XZY is best logically start flame war something like who can piss longer distance :P

Ok I agree with your points - maybe no.3 is most important.... ;)

I would also add fourth point "Does it have enough funcitons or opposite view doesnt it too complicated for me"
that means that "simply rocker plug-turn all 10-play" (just illustration) usually doesnt need 20band eq with variable frequencies, series/parallel switching loop,Xband-compressor,Xover, stereo..... and another extra features and opposite "sound engineer" wont be satisfied with "simply" oldschool non-master volume, 3band eq amp :-D for his all night fiddling with controls....¨

Because I sometimes meet players which has complicated amp and play flat and even dont know what it can do :)

Edited by Kubs

Your GK head is plenty loud for any gig situation you may find yourself in provided you have a cab or combination of cabs that are efficient enough to be able to translate the power of the GK to actual sound.

As a smart person mentioned previously, a Schroeder 1212L cab combined with this head will give you all the volume you will ever need unless you plan on doing an Isle of White-esque open air concert with no PA.

I know this because until a month ago, that's what i used and it never ever let me down.

£450 will get you a second hand 1212L cab. They come up every now and again. You're unlikely to get that trouser flapping sensation that you'll likely get with the 6x10" but you do get a lot of volume. I can easily match and overpower (if I wanted to) my guitarist who uses a Peavey 5150 120w valve combo.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Kubs' post='386807' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:58 PM']P.S: I dislike all non-alltube Ampeg amps....worst experience for me was SVT3/SVP Pro :-([/quote]

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kill kill kill ;)

how dare you !

(just kidding btw :P )

[quote name='artisan' post='388624' date='Jan 22 2009, 04:26 PM']aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kill kill kill ;)

how dare you !

(just kidding btw :P )[/quote]

:-D aaa Iam used on such reactions - you know when I was younger Ampeg was something like "holy grail" then I finally had opportunity to test SVT3Pro(even through those wooten cabinet 410).....I was not disappointed but not knocked off-just usual amp-but still respected it.
Then I´ve gone through few amps and also had SVP Pro in straight comparision against SWR Grand Prix and this was begining of end for respect of ampeg...

Well my B2RE has arrived, and I can say for the money you are getting a hell of a lot of amp. Its now installed in a Gator so it wont be getting trashed anytime soon, and looks quite cool as a mini stack. I too am using a B410 cab.

One rather annoying thing about it - the feet of it. Which if you are sticking it in a 2U rack need to be removed appear to be nigh on impossible to remove. One came out, and all the other three did not as they appear to have been bolted INSIDE the case in the amp, which I found out after having to remove the rubber from the screws. A minor annoyance as it will never come out of the rack, and putting the rubber back on if I DID remove it from the Gator would be pretty simple.

[quote name='chris_b' post='385944' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:39 AM']If you want to keep the GK, £450 will get you a lot of 4x10 on the used market. Go through the For Sale forum here as see what's still around.[/quote]

I have to agree with this one...... The GK is a nice amp. I would take the GK to a couple of shops and test drive some 4X10's if possible before you swap out the entire rig.