Why become a member? ×

getting an upright... where to start?

spiltmilk_2000

Hi! a newbie here looking for some advice...

Im an electric bass player who has recently started lusting after an upright. However, i know nothing about them and dont have a clue where to start... ;) If anyone can offer any advice on the many questions below i'd be so grateful!

1. I dont want to spend a fortune when Ive never even tried playing one before, but what should i expect to pay for an entry level model. Ive seen some sub £500 models online, one even has a solid top and includes a case... would something like this be suitable or would it hold me back? Should i bite the bullet and spend a bit more?

2. If i do buy a really cheap model, how much of an improvement would a decent set up make? what kind of cost for this? Any recommendations in the london area?

3. As i mentioned, i've never even laid hands on an upright... where can I try out a selection of entry levels in the the london area??? I found the contrabasse shoppe but looks like their entry levels are £5K and up! :-( being as im looking at the cheapest of the cheap, should i be nervous to not try before I buy? as surely all in that price range will be fairly crude models and much of a muchness?

4. What's the main pros and cons of full size / 3/4 size... I expect i'll mainly end up playing jazz but would like to try my hand at bowing classical style too if that makes any difference?

5. Just how big are double basses?? reckon i could fit into a standard size hatch car with the seats down??

6. Anyone know of any good teachers in the london area?

7. Anything else you think i should know or consider before making the leap???

Thanks so much to everyone in advance of your help! :P

How about a Stagg EDB? Very inexpensive and will also give you the ability to amplify it when you are ready to play with bands without having to invest yet more in mics / pickups. It is also more transportable and can sit in a corner ready to practise on without dominating a room.

I rented an acoustic DB a few years ago but amping, transport and size were the main factors that made me decide not to persist. I got the Stagg second hand via this site last year and that has been what has enabled me to get the buzz of gigging on an upright. I think I probably will get a decent acoustic bass at some point in the future but the Stagg has (and continues to be) an excellent training tool.

Wulf

I hadnt even considered a EUB! does seem to tick quite a few boxes for me to give it a whirl... I guess the one drawback is it won't quite satisfy want of 'looking cool' with a big fat acoustic though :P

fretless precision??? Call me old fashioned but for my money, lecce basses should have four strings, passive pickups and frets... and uprights should REALLY be acoustic and have no frets!! ;)

Thanks guys! if anyone else has anything to add i'd be glad to hear...

Somewhere on here in the archives is the advice that you should go and get a lesson, using the bass they have got, before actually shelling out your hard earned on an intrument of your own. One lesson should tell you whether you'd get on with it on not. Struck me as very sensible and is exactly what I would do if the day came I fancied trying an upright.

Where abouts in London are you? I have one of the cheap "sub £500 imports" you mention which are often derided on here, but I was in a similar position to you. Not much cash and worried about spending a fortune on something I might not like or be able to play. I found it much more relaxing to have something I could kick about and not worry about.

You are welcome to try and arrange something for you to have a shot on it if you want.

I live in Crawley but work in London.

PM if you're interested.

I'm thinking that next time there is a SE bash, I might bring it along for all you experts to tear to pieces, so you can say "they are definitely s**t", instead of "for that money, I imagine they are s**t". What does everyone reckon?

I played an eub for a couple of years when a decent double bass was not practical or affordable, and personally, I kind of wish I hadn't started that way! I found that, while it got me used to the longer scale, I hadn't learned how to get a decent tone out of an acoustic without a lot of effort, which was a bit of a stumbling block when I first moved over to the double bass. In my opinion (feel free to disagree!), the EUB is either a cool instrument in its own right (think Eberhard Weber) or a travelling/loud gig tool for double bassists, not a great transitional step to learning double bass.
Re. cars, I've had my bass in cars as small as a Nissan Micra, with the front seat reclined, neck heel on the front passenger seat and the scroll in the footwell. In a larger car putting the back seats down will work. You'll get it in most things as long as you don't have more than one passenger.
Can't help with finding a teacher in London, but I think most will be willing to help you find an instrument, and might know people with basses to sell too.

If you have leanings towards the double bass, then don't get sidetracked to an EUB. The only similarity between the two is the string length. The best advice here is to find a teacher and ask for an introductory lesson on one of his basses. He will also be able to help you with some purchase suggestions and may even have an instrument to lend you. If you progress well you'll soon see what a fine instrument the URB is. Perhaps Jakesbass can pick this up; I know that he has been very helpful to several starters on this forum.

Hi Spiltmilk, as suggested by Bassace I have given lessons to a few starters on here, I work in London a lot (I live just a little way out) so could possibly tie a lesson in with a gig or rehearsal, although you are not short of some really great players within London itself, plenty of whom teach.
The advice so far is sound, if it's a double you want then an EUB is not sufficient for the acoustic factor, although some of them are very decent instruments, just different really.
A double bass is a big commitment so I would definitely go along with the idea of having a try before buying, also you'll get a sense of what a decent bass is like as any teacher you find is most likely to have a 4K upwards value instrument.
I would think it very sensible to spend a bit on a couple of lessons and see how you feel then.
PM if you want further info
Jake

[quote name='andyjingram' post='384089' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:53 PM']Hi Huge Hands,

Can I ask which bass you bought? I am currently looking to buy a double bass, but have been surprised by the huge cost of them compared to electrics and complete slating of 'cheap' intruments all over the place! I was hoping the 111BR from Thomann would be worth a shot ( [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_111.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_111.htm[/url] ) but I'm starting to lose hope that it is even worth bothering. I do hope it is just bass-snobbery that's going on, but you are one of the very few I've seen sticking up for a cheap bass.

Do you gig or record with yours, or is it just for learning and enjoying?

Cheers, Andy[/quote]

Andy,

Please understand that I am not doubting that a £1000+ bass will be better than mine. What I am saying is, if you just fancy a shot at upright, without worry every time you knock it off a doorway (and believe me you will!) then these may be worth a look.

I bought the Gear4Music 3/4 about 4 years ago for about £375. Warning - the "hard case" is massive!!! I put mine in the loft and use the "gig bag" it also came with instead.

It came unstrung with the bridge off (was actually missing and had to get them to send another) so it won't play straight out of the case.

I have had to mess about quite a bit to get a decent action on the strings and had to glue the side seam back together when it split after 2 years (I think someone knocked it over and didn't tell me). No problem though, as I wasn't worried about luthiers I used wood glue not hide glue - messing about with it to me is half the fun.

I originally wanted to get an acoustic bass guitar because I wanted something I could just pick up if a good tune came on the telly, but was heavily into Jamerson at the time and thought that if I could play an upright, it would help my electric playing no end. I believe it has, although I have a long way to go! I consider myself a bassist who owns an upright, rather than an upright bass player!

Knowing it was cheap meant I didn't mind Tippex-ing fret dots onto it!

I have gigged it a few times, but it has been a nightmare. I attribute this more to our loud band/drummer refusing to turn down and the fact that I've never had the chance to set up my pickup preamp EQ/gain stucture properly rather blaming than the bass itself. One day.....

I have taken it to 2 demo recording sessions with the intention of recording electric with the band and then ovedubbing the upright but unfortunately in both cases we ran out of time for the overdub.

I have spoken to Merton about taking it to the next SE bash as I mentioned on this thread, and I'm also considering having a visit to the homeland to tie in with Warwickhunt/Wot's NE one on 1st March. I could take it there too so that people can make their own minds up as to what they think of them rather than assume or take my word for it. I realise £375 is still a lot of money to most of us.

I play Squier basses, not Fender ones, and I'm happy to display that on the headstocks! ;)

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='andyjingram' post='387322' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:29 AM']I hear everything you're saying there.

For the record I own a £600 bass and a bass that must have cost £800 when new- but the bass I grab for all but gigs where I need the 5-strings cost me £100 [i]including[/i] a new pickup! And I'm sort of proud of that fact.

I'm sure that as you say, a bass that cost a grand will be 'better' but I would be far less happy to drag it 'round London, exposing it to all matter of temperature and humidity changes, other peoples food, drink and flailing limbs, and the occasional low/narrow doorway. I guess I'm still having trouble getting my head around the fact that a bass that cost £1000 barely registers on some peoples scale of useability, when £600 is the most I [i]ever[/i] spent on an electric, but thanks for your answers- it gives me bit more to chew over whilst weighing up all the other size/weight/fragility issues![/quote]

I am waiting for a PM from the original poster RE: meeting up at our workshop one evening in Canary Wharf for him to have a blast on it. I'd be happy for another attendee if you want to pop along as well.

Just send me a PM.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='387322' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:29 AM']I hear everything you're saying there.

For the record I own a £600 bass and a bass that must have cost £800 when new- but the bass I grab for all but gigs where I need the 5-strings cost me £100 [i]including[/i] a new pickup! And I'm sort of proud of that fact.

I'm sure that as you say, a bass that cost a grand will be 'better' but I would be far less happy to drag it 'round London, exposing it to all matter of temperature and humidity changes, other peoples food, drink and flailing limbs, and the occasional low/narrow doorway. I guess I'm still having trouble getting my head around the fact that a bass that cost £1000 barely registers on some peoples scale of useability, when £600 is the most I [i]ever[/i] spent on an electric, but thanks for your answers- it gives me bit more to chew over whilst weighing up all the other size/weight/fragility issues![/quote]

The whole price thing is a very grey area with uprights. Just because it costs more doesn't mean it's better. If it works (vibrates properly and makes a good sound) it's worth far more than an instrument that's made with better woods and has a higher level of craftmanship that doesn't work. A cellist I know plays a £1000 Chinese instrument for his full-time orchestral job and absolutely loves it. The only thing is you never know if a new instrument is going to improve or go off with time.

Edited by chrkelly

Hi Andy

I was lucky and got a great double bass from someone who had played in a jazz band and it was nicely worn in and he did not want a fortune for it. It cost me £457 and I am having a great time reaquainting myself with this fabulous instrument.
I did not have a fortune to spend and i think i was fortunate (bloody lucky really!!) I got mine on ebay. But I suppose ideally try one out if you have not played before. Apart from that get the best you can afford. I am gonna take mine to a luthier when i get some extra cash to check it over and get some minor cosmetic repairs done.
Before my luck with this one, i was considering the thomann. Depends what you want to do, and also if its set up wrong, watch out for injury!!

luv

BassQueen :wub:

[quote name='andyjingram' post='384089' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:53 PM']Hi Huge Hands,

Can I ask which bass you bought? I am currently looking to buy a double bass, but have been surprised by the huge cost of them compared to electrics and complete slating of 'cheap' intruments all over the place! I was hoping the 111BR from Thomann would be worth a shot ( [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_111.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_111.htm[/url] ) but I'm starting to lose hope that it is even worth bothering. I do hope it is just bass-snobbery that's going on, but you are one of the very few I've seen sticking up for a cheap bass.

Do you gig or record with yours, or is it just for learning and enjoying?

Cheers, Andy[/quote]