Why become a member? ×

IDEA NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOR LEGAL REASONS *** FOR RAFFLE *** Warwick Thumb 5 NT (1991)

Thunderthumbs

[quote name='hivez' post='379551' date='Jan 13 2009, 07:46 PM'][url="http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Client/detail.asp?Contentid=175"]http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Clien...p?Contentid=175[/url]

Looks to me we could run it as Private Society Lottery according to the Gambling Commission.

Or have I read it wrong.

Dave[/quote]

A Private Society Lottery has to be promoted ''for the purposes of the Society''. In other words, Basschat, as the ''private Society'' would have to be the befeficiary of the lottery. Its back to the private gain point again I'm afraid.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='379564' date='Jan 13 2009, 07:54 PM']The name is drawn out of a hat at random. To me that sounds like a lottery with 100/1 chance of “winning”. Anyhow, if I wasn’t “nominated” to keep the bass at my house then I wouldn’t agree to it being kept at anyone else’s ;)[/quote]

Winning? no... the successful applicant would simply be the curator of the communally owned bass. Their extensive responsibility/duties would involve regular waxing and the strings would need to be kept fully articulated on a weekly basis. The charge to the owners for this service could run at £10 per week for 99 weeks after which time the charge would be equal to the value of the bass. Payments could be offset against the value of the bass. and non payment would result in the bass being kept in leiu of payment.

(Edited because I missed the intended humour in the post.)

Edited by GremlinAndy

[quote name='wesfinn' post='379582' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:07 PM']surely if its all illegal, then everybody could 'club together' to buy the bass so that it would technically be owned by all the people who paid. that would then jsut be a straight sale right? then its up to those people to decide if they want to 'give' the bass to one person and theyre way of doing so is to draw the names out of a hat to make it fair, that way there is no financial profit gained, it's just a bunch of nice people who decided that they would give away theyre share in something.[/quote]

EXACTLY my suggestion on page 6 ;)

Edited by GremlinAndy

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='379648' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:44 PM']then presumably you simply wouldn't buy or be interested in a ticket Mr Pedantic. Or perhaps it *is* your desire to single handedly scupper any gentlemanly attempt to get around the legal issues? Personally I thought Bass Chat forum members were above that.[/quote]

I think he might have been having a little Joke!

Edited by originalfunster

[quote name='originalfunster' post='379669' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:59 PM']I think he might have been having a little Joke![/quote]

;)
Aye you could be right. In which case I apologise. I just figured that if everyone just got on with it it could have happened with no harm done. "Done and done".

First, the legislation governing this area is not limited to lotteries and raffles, but extends to bingo, whist drives, bridge nights, and other games of chance.

[quote name='originalfunster' post='379461' date='Jan 13 2009, 06:35 PM']Why cant you have a Prize Draw?
you get your 100 people to pay a tenner, set a question on the forum, those 100 people give thier answer, put all names and correct answers into the hat, and pick one at random. and the prize for the correct answer is........ your warwick?
thats not a Lottery or a Raffle[/quote]

The first prosecution concerning a "seller" who attempted to use a scheme based on the lottery/raffle model resulted in the "seller" being found guilt, the scheme being construed as infringing the relevant legislation.

To my knowledge no "seller" using the lottery/raffle model with a "skill based question" to facilitate entry has, to date, resulted in a prosecution being raised. However, a number of such schemes have been closed down on the advice of the Gambling Commission to the instigators of such schemes. Without knowing the content of the Commission's advice, it would appear that it has expressed its opinion that such schemes do not meet the requirements of the legislation and its intention to pursue prosecutions, should its contention be upheld by the courts.

[quote name='deaver' post='379478' date='Jan 13 2009, 06:45 PM']My own warped take on this:

A well known BassChat photographer takes a photo of my bass (or similar) adorning a girl with her top off.

A numbered set of prints are made up, let's say 100. I sell the prints at £10 a pop. I give the said bass to someone possessing a lucky number.

Not sure I've smoothed the rough edges on this one but I enjoyed thinking about it.[/quote]

An interesting suggestion. If you were my client I might be suggesting that the limited edition print resembles a voucher or ticket and the selection of a number resembles a game of chance, if the terms and conditions of the purported “sale” of the photographs were not meticulously researched and written.

[quote name='hivez' post='379551' date='Jan 13 2009, 07:46 PM'][url="http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Client/detail.asp?Contentid=175"]http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Clien...p?Contentid=175[/url]

Looks to me we could run it as Private Society Lottery according to the Gambling Commission.

Or have I read it wrong.

Dave[/quote]

First, in general terms, terms such as society are given specific mean for the purposes of statutory interpretation. I would sincerely doubt that an internet forum would not clear that hurdle, without a charter and express stated purposes of association, etc. Unfortunately, as this forum was established for the purposes of sharing information and experience and furthering knowledge of bass playing, and the sales thread is simply an incidental aspect of the forum’s operation, then a lottery/raffle for the sale of an item would not be construed as being within the primary purpose of the forum.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='379582' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:07 PM']surely if its all illegal, then everybody could 'club together' to buy the bass so that it would technically be owned by all the people who paid. that would then jsut be a straight sale right? then its up to those people to decide if they want to 'give' the bass to one person and theyre way of doing so is to draw the names out of a hat to make it fair, that way there is no financial profit gained, it's just a bunch of nice people who decided that they would give away theyre share in something.[/quote]

If identifying the “purchaser” who would take possession of the item being sold was decided by chance then such a scheme could, potentially, be construed as infringing the relevant legislation. If the criteria to decide who would take possession was decided on a basis other than chance then it might be workable. However, based on the Gambling Commission’s current stance, any skill-based criterion would have to be truly skill based. (For example, a "competition" based on participants’ knowledge of bass playing arranged along the lines of the Champions League, perhaps.)

Edited by noelk27

Bummer!

How about if 100 people accidentally drop a tenner in the vicinity of thunderthumbs front garden without realising, and then later in the day his bass gets stolen but it is never reported???

We should all get a number and do a 'virtual' draw just to see who would have won! You can count me in on that one.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Stockholm Syndrome' post='398983' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:39 PM']Is this still available? If so, any interest in a trade for this:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40060&st=0&gopid=398981&#entry398981"]Thumb NT 4 91'[/url]

\Samuel[/quote]
I have a sale pending at the moment. But should it fall through, I am only interested in a cash sale, no trades thanks.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='379293' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:41 PM']3. If it were to generate money for charity at the same time, to raise enough money for me to take £1000 out of it would mean collectively we could buy a Bugatti Veyron![/quote]

Can we? Can we? Please? ;)