Why become a member? ×

Yet another Shuker build

simontdo

I went and saw Jon the other day and decided to have him build me a bass. :huh:

I wanted something with that 70s sound but a bit easier on the shoulder than my 78 P bass and a bit more flexible.

So this is what I've gone for:

J Bass IV
white ash / swamp ash body
quilted maple front and back
black gradient burst (very dark on edge to light smoke in middle)
polyester baecoat
wet look gloss topcoat

maple neck
birdseye board
21 frets
black blocks (poss crushed black pearl effect)
Led side dots - orange
Gotoh GB707 tuners - cosmo black
P/J pickups, P as JJ Burnel, J wound to match

Jon is going to send me some pics to ease the next 3 months

In that time I will have to break the news to my wife :)

Edited by simontdo

WOO HOO! I feel all warm and fuzzy! I reckon a J Bass with a PJ configuration will look awesome! Not to mention having a PHAT ole tone. I have heard those JJ pups 'unleashing hell' to paraphrase 'The Gladiator'. They sound really good. Phat and meaty.. and lots of other *big* sounding adjectives.

I'm sure you can see that the custom bass route is a highly favoured one on the board! I certainly can't argue with it. Congrats on a sweet spec. I look forward to seeing the build.

Which reminds me, I have a thread to update...

Excellent! Yet another entrant for the Shuker Owners' Club Maple F'board Subsection :)
And orange side LEDs too, top choice (he said without a hint of bias...)

Speaking of which... whatever happened to the Owners' Club idea that was being discussed about 80 years ago?

[quote name='Rich' post='39933' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:52 AM']Speaking of which... whatever happened to the Owners' Club idea that was being discussed about 80 years ago?[/quote]

ummmmm.. I'd love to do one.. but my web skills are aweful! I had a chat with Si' about it at the time and would have to ask for his abilities. I wondered if one of those online galleries would have been a good idea? Buying a domain name is child's play, so at least a site could have a meaningful name.

Dan

[quote name='simontdo' post='39948' date='Aug 1 2007, 12:20 PM']I'd just about calmed down.

I'd got back to sleeping through the night ok.

...and now you guys have got me all excited again :wacko:[/quote]

Be prepared for 3 months or so of that mate :)

Welcome to the club mate.

[quote name='dood' post='39941' date='Aug 1 2007, 12:09 PM']ummmmm.. I'd love to do one.. but my web skills are aweful! I had a chat with Si' about it at the time and would have to ask for his abilities. I wondered if one of those online galleries would have been a good idea? Buying a domain name is child's play, so at least a site could have a meaningful name.

Dan[/quote]

why don't you just set up a myspace page instead?

Just got my first pics from Jon.

I think its the long bit that you hold with your left hand :huh:

[attachment=1603:Picture_153.jpg]

[attachment=1604:Picture_154.jpg]

Jon's off on holiday next week. So looking forward to some seaside shots :)

• 1 month later...

Jon e-mailed me the following pics last night.

[attachment=2318:Picture_004.jpg]
[attachment=2319:Picture_005.jpg]
[attachment=2320:Picture_009.jpg]
[attachment=2321:Picture_010.jpg]

He should be painting it in the next week or so.

I haven't been this excited since my dad bought me a Raleigh Chopper :)

[quote name='dood' post='39941' date='Aug 1 2007, 12:09 PM']ummmmm.. I'd love to do one.. but my web skills are aweful! I had a chat with Si' about it at the time and would have to ask for his abilities. I wondered if one of those online galleries would have been a good idea? Buying a domain name is child's play, so at least a site could have a meaningful name.

Dan[/quote]
We'd need some webbie skills say from Alun? I think he can actually build the things ... I'm a consultant mate, I don't actually do anything of course :)

[quote name='simontdo' post='60956' date='Sep 15 2007, 08:09 PM'][attachment=2321:Picture_010.jpg]

He should be painting it in the next week or so.

I haven't been this excited since my dad bought me a Raleigh Chopper :)[/quote]

ha ha

You don't mention a Pre unless I missed it so if it's passive, it's good that he has routed it for two batteries so you can add an active pre-amp if you want to I had him do that to my P5 too. Not that I imagine ever needing to electrify it - it sounds brill anyway.

[quote name='simontdo' post='61049' date='Sep 16 2007, 09:24 AM']Yep. I really wanted that passive tone. If Jon's routed for a future pre-amp, that's great. Although its got LEDs, so I assumed the extra route was for that.[/quote]

Looks like a double battery route at the top there .. may not be, of course :) You only need one for the lights, assuming they are "normal" ones and not light show flashers :huh:

[quote]Our Laser products use amazingly bright red 1/4 mile range sniper sites. They are classified as a class 2 laser diode that is recognised as completely safe under normal conditions of use.[/quote]

Hmmm, I wouldnt say that being at the wrong end of a sniper rifle sight was particularly safe, given that this would be normal conditions of use for those lasers!!!