Why become a member? ×

How bad does a copy have to be

Happy Jack

[quote name='stoo' post='378045' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:09 PM']Same here.... would have much preferred a 3+2 rather than the 4+1...

And a wider spaced bridge...

Umm and a separate chromed control plate like on the 4's..

But apart from [i]that[/i]..... ;)[/quote]

the seperate chromed control plate is the number one thing i [i]don't[/i] like about stingray 4's, theres something about a pickguard and a control plate not touching that looks quite odd to me. And i find the sr4 headstock to look quite squashed! :P

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='378147' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:38 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/fender-custom-shop-6-string-bass_W0QQitemZ290288887950QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item290288887950&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]This[/url] doesn't look much like a Fender either.[/quote]
What on EARTH is that?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='378197' date='Jan 12 2009, 08:07 PM']the seperate chromed control plate is the number one thing i [i]don't[/i] like about stingray 4's, theres something about a pickguard and a control plate not touching that looks quite odd to me. And i find the sr4 headstock to look quite squashed! ;)[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean... i'd lose the pickguard if I could, but I rather suspect that there'd be unwanted visible wiring trenches underneath. And even if not, there'd be the screwholes still there.

My first ever decent guitar was a handmade Tele type thing. Ever since then, the knurled metal knobs on a chrome control plate just seems so much more... just right... than any other way of doing it. Some kind of subliminal association with quality, I guess.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='378328' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:59 PM']What on EARTH is that?[/quote]

It looks like two of those prototype 3 string Fender basses that have been glued together?

A bit of work with a power sander and drag it behind a car for a few miles and you have a relic'ed 'Roadworn' 6 stringer.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='378492' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:05 AM']What bugs me most is the body wood laminates suggest a neck through, until you turn it over and find it is a bolt-on - that's not nice.[/quote]
And the neckplate looks both foul & bodged - looks like it's been snipped out of the side of a baked bean can, with random holes poked round the edge.

J.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='378486' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:54 PM']Seriously? is that actually a fender? Because it's ugly as f***.[/quote]
its got a certificate, so looks like it could be. As said, its now obvious why fender reinvent the same bass over and over again and never think out the box...because this happens ;)

[quote name='stoo' post='378346' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:15 PM']Yeah, I know what you mean... i'd lose the pickguard if I could, but I rather suspect that there'd be unwanted visible wiring trenches underneath.[/quote]

MM would never do such an uncouth thing as wiring trenches on an SR4! ;)

Edited by josh3184

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='376846' date='Jan 11 2009, 03:36 PM']It's a Fender?

Runs away before anyone can catch me ;)[/quote]

sneaky +1 :)

[quote name='stoo' post='378045' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:09 PM']But apart from [i]that[/i]..... :P[/quote]

nooo!! stingray5's are like little wooden versions of God, but better, sexier, with a tighter B, and with less tendancy to have wars fought over 'em!

I politely disagree with everyone who has a bad word to say about ray5's, but I s'pose you're allowed to have a wrong opinion :huh:

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='BassManKev' post='379254' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:15 PM']take it off and have a looky[/quote]

Haha - fair point, well presented.

I'd been too lazy to bother, having pretty much convinced myself it'd look horrible underneath. Anyways - fancied a break from what I was doing, so....

Before...

After...

(Please excuse the fingerprints... ;) )

Nowhere near as bad as I'd thought! Would be nicer if the pickup routes were a little smaller, but I'm sure I'll be able to get or make some suitable surrounds to cover the gaps.

Me likey!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='378507' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:21 AM']its got a certificate, so looks like it could be. As said, its now obvious why fender reinvent the same bass over and over again and never think out the box...because this happens ;)[/quote]
You'd have thought that they'd manage to do a better copy of a Warwick Streamer than that. They've got the top horn looking like a semi though, so that's a good start.