Merton

Ashdown CTM100 power valves

Hello!

Any owners of the glorious Ashdown CTM100 ever changed the output valves? I picked one up for a ridiculous price on eBay but one the power valves has gone and the other is running quite “hot” according to the built-in bias meter.

I’ll probably send it to Ashdown for a complete health check but might do so with my choice of output valve... looking at the Genalex Golden Lion reissue probably.

Any thoughts?

No, mine have been good (and mine is the original CTM100). I wonder what they did to them, either badly adjusted or forgot to attach a speaker!

It’s been fairly extensively toured and it’s a bit grubby in general so I think it’s just a case of the valve finally having enough. Or a dodgy valve of course... Either way it’s off to Ashdown for some tlc so it’ll have new valves, would be interesting if anyone has changed the standard JJs for anything else!

3 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

@Merton do yourself a favour and keep this one 

🤣

I’ve already said exactly that to @eude

I do now have a ridiculous collection of 5 (yes) Ashdown heads but they can’t go anywhere. Don’t let me sell any!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Merton said:

🤣

I’ve already said exactly that to @eude

I do now have a ridiculous collection of 5 (yes) Ashdown heads but they can’t go anywhere. Don’t let me sell any!

Is this your third or fourth CMT100?

36 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Is this your third or fourth CMT100?

Third 😳

To be fair I’ve had a tendency to accumulate gear before when I couldn’t really afford to. Now I have a little bit of a cushion so I’ve gone a bit crazy but apart from wanting a Four10 cab I’m now 100% sorted for amplification. I don’t gig enough to justify it but I like to hoard :)

I know Matamp only use the Golden Lion KT88's in the GT200 as they alledgedly had so many failures with the JJ's they used to use. Can't see any harm in going with the Golden Lion's.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bartelby said:

When you sell this one. Can I have first refusal please?

🤣

Yes. But I won’t. Hopefully.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Baloney Balderdash
      So as the tittle says, post pictures of those of your pedals that utilizes tubes, and eventual write a bit about them too, like how they work and how/why you personally like and utilize them.
      At one point I owned whole 5 of the now unfortunately discontinued EHX series of big pedals equipped with 2 preamp tubes running at proper high 300V voltage, which included some  truly great pedals, that went for really amazingly affordable prices compared to what you actually got for your money.
      Tube pedals that utilizes tubes run at proper high voltage and doesn't starve the tubes will usually cost a fair deal more than what was the case with this series of pedals.
      The 5 EHX tube pedals I owned was: the Black Finger optical compressor, the Tube Zipper envelope filter with build in fuzz, no less than 2 The Wiggler tremolo and vibrato, actual offering whole 4 different types of each of the 2 effects, and a LPB-2ube 2 channel/stereo tube preamp, on which you could bridge the two channels as well, and that way use it as a tube overdrive.
      However I sold 3 of those and now only own the Black Finger and the Tube Zipper, though the envelope filter circuit in the Tube Zipper is faulty, so only the build in fuzz works, though a great fuzz, at least for guitar, not really all that well suited for bass, and especially great if followed by an EQ pedal of some sort, as it doesn't offer any form of control over the EQ, even if it is actually possible to control the tone of the fuzz to some degree if you mess with the envelope filter controls, despite it not really working as an actual envelope filter anymore.
      The Tube Zipper honestly doesn't see much use though, even if, as said, the build in fuzz that still works actually sounds really great for guitar, but the Black Finger I am extremely happy I didn't sell and still own, since I use it for both my guitar setup and my bass setup as an always on pedal, last in the chain, just before my amp, and I have used it as a tube overdrive for my guitar as well previously, as it sort of doubles as both an actual compressor and/or a tube preamp and/or tube overdrive, since it is possible to basically dial the optical compression circuit completely out of the equation if wanted, and I guess the way I use it currently it actually have the function as much as my tube preamp stage as an actual compressor.
      The Black Finger is quite probably my number one single most favorite and important pedal that I own, adjusted right it just improves the tone of everything running through it amazingly great, and I actually consider it as a quite essential part of both my basic bass and guitar tone, and wouldn't know what other pedal could possibly replace it satisfactory for me, so I seriously ponder on finding a used second one to keep as a spare, in the case that, God forbid it, something should happen to my current one beyond repair. 
      Really regret selling the LPB-2ube, as it was a truly great tube preamp as well as tube overdrive, even if it is a fairly basic tube preamp, without any form of control over the EQ, only offering an  input level selector switch shared for the two channels, that can be set to either high or low, and then an input gain and output volume control for each of the two channels, which though easily could have been made up for if needed by placing some sort of equalizer after and/or before it.
       And I kind of would wish I had kept one of the 2 The Wiggler pedals I had as well, since it was capable of some great sounding tremolo and vibrato effects. 
      Anyway here's a picture of my beloved and very precious EHX Black Finger tube driven optical compressor, that has the ability to double as a tube preamp/tube overdrive pedal as well (the controls might look fairly limiting, but in combination they actually offer a pretty wide variety of, actually substantial different and very useful, settings, the Input Gain control, beside having the option of being used for dialing in various degrees of tube coloration or even overdriving the input tube, sort of works like a threshold control for the compression, and the Compress control, as far as I understood it, sort of works as a combined threshold and compression rate control, and finally the 4 settings the combinations the 2, Lamp/Led optical compression circuit source selector, and Sqsh/Norm selector, switches offer controls various compression rate and attack time settings, as well as partially changes the EQ of the compression depending on the settings, as in how much compression is applied to which frequencies) :

Here's a professional bass player that uses the EHX Black Finger primarily as his always on tube preamp stage (he mentions it briefly and demonstrates it shortly around the 04:37 to 05:44 time stamp of the video):

• By jimmy23cricket
      Decided to part with this lovely little valve head. I'm a bit sad, but I always said 3 amps are too many and I need to fund a five string.
      Fantastic heads. Great valve tone that breaks up nicely to a lovely valve grit when cranked without disemboweling you. This is in almost new condition. Has the tiniest scuff which I have pictured, but otherwise like new. Also has a snazzy matching Roqsolid cover.
      Really would like pick up. Could drop off if within reasonable distance. Really don't want to post just in case it gets ruined.
      Trade wise, I'm after an active five and maybe some cash your way if its what I need.
      Cheers!

• By Byo
      Hi there,
      I have an Ashdown Little Bastard 30w valve head that I am trying to pair with an Aguilar DB112 for home studio work and was wondering about what other LB users settings are.

The EQ is still a mystery to me as I my main amp for years has been a Markbass Little Rocker 500 and that thing is really easy to dial in when compared to the LB.

I have had a look over here and on Talkbass for the "flat" settings but there does not seem to be a general rule of thumb.
      For reference I use a variety of passive P and J basses with and without effects and I tend to look for a tone that has a hint of growl if you dig in with a pick but is stil fat and punchy when playing finger-style.
      All suggestions are welcome!

Cheers!
    • By Petey
      I bought this amp some years ago as a back-up to my main amp. Although I gigged it a few times,  whilst my main amp was in for a service, it has only seen a maximum of 4 gigs. It then became amp 3,4,5 and so on. In the meantime I spent some money on it purchasing (well over £100.00 and your gain as the amp has hardly been used since) - all direct from Ashdown
      8 new feet (4 for the side and 4 for the bottom)
      a new leather handle
      padded cover 
      x2 pedals  - change between the various options A - EQ on/off, pre set signature Ashdown sound & B Valve Drive and Sub Octave
      The amp has lots of features and packs a punch - at the time it was Ashdown's flagship amp. Whoever gets this amp will get a well cared for and up-together amp. If you're not used to this amount of power and quality of tone, this amp will elevate your sound within the band and give your tone authority. This is the twin amp (2x 575w) model - I always admired  these amps and identified it as the 4 fan version (if you look at the others in that range they have 1 or 2 fans and NOT 4 as the more powerful amp has).
      Please note current PAT test sticker ( I have ALL my gigging equipment PAT tested yearly as I play so many venues that first ask for Public Liability Insurance and PAT test docs). If you require tech specs then there are lots on line, or more detailed photos, please PM me and I'll ping them over. I put reflective stickers on the two foot pedals so I knew what was what  on stage - they can easily be removed - but this highlights the availability of choice of the  EQ section, the Ashdown Pre-set tone option, Valve Drive and Sub Octave to you mid performance.
      Located just east of Portsmouth on the South Coast (West Sussex) . A cash deal would be my preference but I could be up for trades, depends on what you have to offer - collection only.