Why become a member? ×

The RickenBaker

Al Heeley

• 1 month later...

The RickenBaker was about 95% finished, then it went on ice for a month while other stuff got done. Finally the nut is cut, the frets are filed and the trc is redone so that's about it really, and jolly nice she sounds, with that rick growl and woody percussive note, the both pup setting is particularly fruitsome.

I was never a huge ricky fan but for some reason I am really craving one of your copies. Maybe white with black binding ala Bruce Foxton.
Not that I have any pennies but what kinda cash are you looking for for these beauties? (PM me if you dint want to announce it to all)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Al, I was just reading back this thread and this post made me laugh:

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='379174' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:31 PM']...then I build a guitar in my garage or in the kitchen (if the wife's out)...[/quote]

So true!

Fantastic job, it has inspired me..

I am considering my first project, which may be a ric styled bass

However at this stage would go for a bolt on purchased neck, so first project would be just body and hardware etc, and pehaps tackle necks in future years if all goes well!

Warmouth do a paddle neck that is 8" by 41/2" and 13 degree, I may be able to cut the ric shape into that? (dont have ric drawings yet)

Just to note I said Ric style, not perfect scaled copy, so I would be happy with the bolted neck

What did you use for the binding trim? that feature is crucial I believe

btw this is my first post, so hi all

Hi and wwelcome to the forum. For the binding trim I use white plastic binding trim. Available from a number of guitar/luthier supply outlets online. I tend to use Luthier Supplies and Touchstone Tonewoods but you should become familiar with Allparts, W.D, Axes R Us and a myriad of others if you are to tackle a first homebuild.
Good luck and post pictures!

Thanks Al

Did some unscientific thinking today re: first build, sadly it looks like if I wish to use an off the shelf neck bolt on neck I will have trouble making a ric styled bass as the pickguard finishes so close to the edge of the body where it joins the neck, leaving no area in the body to make the joint

Perhaps I should do a standard J or P for my first build, both I have to copy, as I said I wish to do everything except the neck first time round

Sorry if this should be a new topic

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='511668' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:39 PM']Never bought anything from Stewmac, my meagre salary does not support such extravagence. I got my binding from Touchstone tonewoods when I was buying the fingerboard and some fretwire.[/quote]

Cheers Al! I'll see what they've got...

• 2 weeks later...