Why become a member? ×

The RickenBaker

Al Heeley

Well that's a huge compliment but I would never put my amateur garage work in the same level as the marvellous crafted instruments coming out of the Shuker workshops.
'Baker's coming along slowly. Some more work on the neck heel and headstock today but sadly with a fizzle and a splutter my poor old black and decker mouse finally gave up the ghost after years of faithful hard service.
I held a short memorial ceremony this afternoon as the snow fell in the back garden and I laid it quietly to rest. The mouse gave his all to this build but sadly the shaping and smoothing of the maple neck eventually proved too much for its weak little heart.

Top job Al. I have the toaster and SD bridge pickup combo on my Rick which sounds incredible. Good choice! Have you considered making a 3001? I would like to see a straight through neck version of that! (Yeah I know the 3001 had a bolt on) - but a straight through would be cool maybe with the same pickups as a 4001 / 3.

Its a funny old thing ain't it, the 3001? Headstock too big, body a bit small, sort of like an awkward adolescent. I can only live with all the quirky Ric design stuff when they manage to come up with a pleasing and inspiring iconic design like the 4001/3. For me, there is nothing finer, but the other ric stuff, well it leaves me cold, just looking at all the substandard design errors that keep them 'special' whereas most companies would have progressed, improved and sorted out all the little shortfalls over the years.
rickenbacker have maintained a tight business and loyal (to the point of religius fervour) following by sticking to their guns, so good for them. I guess thats why I'm still scratching around in my garage with a dead mouse whittling away bits of maple all weekend... ;)

[quote name='Mikey R' post='397537' date='Feb 2 2009, 08:51 AM']huh!? ;)[/quote]
[quote]...sadly with a fizzle and a splutter my poor old black and decker mouse finally gave up the ghost after years of faithful hard service.
The mouse gave his all to this build but sadly the shaping and smoothing of the maple neck eventually proved too much for its weak little heart.[/quote]
:P

Neck shaping is just about done, fretboard is glued on and the upper body wing is being epoxied to the core section at the moment.
While that is curing I'm making a small template from a piece of MDF, for routing the under-bridge cavity into the body.

Oh, ordered a new mouse too.

Hi Al

its all looking very excellent. Good to see you using MDF for templates as I do. Its wonderful stuff in my opinion , if only hardwood was as easy to shape and machine...
In fact I am thinking of making a body out of it just to see how durable it is and how quick I can make one out of it. Looks quite nice with a bit of stain on it ;)
Excellent work would love to see the Baker when its finished....where oop North are you ?

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='399921' date='Feb 4 2009, 01:10 PM']Thx prose. Theres some new guy on Project Guitar making his first build entirely out of MDF at the moment. Euugh. Says it soaks up glue like a sponge!
I'm based a stones throw from Huddersfield and you're very welcome if you're ever passing.[/quote]

I've noticed that with the glue ! I had thought of bolting the body laminates together as well as glue, using insets and set screws similar to the ones I use on necks !

Would be good to see this bass at the Yorkshire Bass Bash if you can make it over to Harrogate.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='399940' date='Feb 4 2009, 01:27 PM']Would be good to see this bass at the Yorkshire Bass Bash if you can make it over to Harrogate.[/quote]
Have applied to the wife for a day pass but due to the RickyBaker build there are talks of neglect in the household, which may preclude me from the grand event. If I get the ok I shall definitely come along to meet you all.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='399778' date='Feb 4 2009, 10:45 AM']Hi Al

its all looking very excellent. Good to see you using MDF for templates as I do. Its wonderful stuff in my opinion , if only hardwood was as easy to shape and machine...
In fact I am thinking of making a body out of it just to see how durable it is and how quick I can make one out of it. Looks quite nice with a bit of stain on it ;)
Excellent work would love to see the Baker when its finished....where oop North are you ?[/quote]
MDF will soak glue and stain like a sponge,but it routs well.It can be bloody heavy though.See if you can get MDF light.(PS,I work for a Timber Merchant!)

[quote name='lee4' post='400333' date='Feb 4 2009, 07:30 PM']MDF will soak glue and stain like a sponge,but it routs well.It can be bloody heavy though.See if you can get MDF light.(PS,I work for a Timber Merchant!)[/quote]

A timber merchant ! you could become very popular ;)
I know that PVA is used a lot to seal MDF before painting , so that may be a way to stop the glue soaking in ?

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='401395' date='Feb 5 2009, 07:27 PM']I'm quite excited. Wings are glued on to the core now and planed level. Here's a pic showing the walnut back. Starting to look like a bass now ;)
[/quote]

Unbelievable! :) There are some talented people on this forum.

(by the way, you've run out of eggs!! :P )