Why become a member? ×

An unexpected purchase

Tinman

We only went to pick this up

(The owner of Rockbox in Northallerton picked it up for me from the piedog.com auction)

Then the Wife forced me to buy this.

A used, 2005 USA Standard Jazz with the S1 switching. It sounds and plays beautifully and there's barely a mark on it. You could almost say it hadn't been used.
Anyway, it was the wife that made me do it, I was ready to walk away but she uttered the fatal words " why don't you give it a try" 10 minutes later out came the plastic and I became it's proud owner.

*Never going in there again, I always come out with stuff I didn't know I needed*

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='38577' date='Jul 29 2007, 07:24 PM']Hey neighbour... Nice bass you've bought there! You can't beat a good jazz :)[/quote]

Cheers.
I have to admit to it taking me a little by surprise. The sound is quite superb, especially when the S1 switch is selected.
Thing is I didn't know I was GASsing at the time, then the missus said I was and that was that. :huh:

Hmmm... I feel a new classification coming along here - Stealth GAS! I haven't had that for a while. I suppose it's because I spend so much time on the web looking at basses, my GAS-ing is controlled by desiring what I've looked at and researched. I think a Geddy Lee jazz is coming this week. Got the bug again at the moment after having a fun day out buying my Hofner violin bass last week :)

i used to own one of those cabs - I loved the sound coming from it but at 125lbs it was no easy lift. I believe Lukeward got in contact with Larry Hartke to astke if they were planning to release a light weight version of the XL cabs at a higher spec than the TP series. I can't remember what the response was though.

[quote name='Tinman' post='38548' date='Jul 29 2007, 06:20 PM']Me too Dan. In fact you're enthusiasm about them was one of the reasons I went in for it when it came up.
I just hope it fits in with what I've got already. It should do, I reckon.[/quote]

Awww cool mate! I'm chuffed for ya. ALl I can say is.. it will fit in nicely for sure!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='38611' date='Jul 29 2007, 08:37 PM']i used to own one of those cabs - I loved the sound coming from it but at 125lbs it was no easy lift. I believe Lukeward got in contact with Larry Hartke to astke if they were planning to release a light weight version of the XL cabs at a higher spec than the TP series. I can't remember what the response was though.[/quote]

Yes, I gave Larry a bell a cuppla times, but didn't get thru, after he left some VERY complimentary remarks about my playin' bless him! I wanted to ask about NEO cabs too.

The nearest I can get is to buy 4 of the new NEO cones that Eminence now make.. i think they are called something like ca2003 or something similar anyway.. they look exactly the same as the Hartke cones, but with the added bonus of being much lighter. I can see them having the same deep tone as the Hartke one. However, with a bit of fiddling with WINISD it looks like they will happily go straight into a Hartke cab ok. Something I would love to try!!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='38611' date='Jul 29 2007, 08:37 PM']i used to own one of those cabs - I loved the sound coming from it but at 125lbs it was no easy lift. I believe Lukeward got in contact with Larry Hartke to astke if they were planning to release a light weight version of the XL cabs at a higher spec than the TP series. I can't remember what the response was though.[/quote]

This one weighs in at 99lbs, so maybe they have changed the build on it.
99lbs is heavy enough though, my band mates are really going to love me. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='38577' date='Jul 29 2007, 07:24 PM']You can't beat a good jazz :)[/quote]

he's right you know, yes the jazz bass is very sneaky indeed, there are some people who have spent the last 5 years or more playing nothing but 5 or 6 string basses only to have the 4 string jazz sneak up on them and draw them in like a fish on a hook. I like them because they are nice and fast to play but they have a neck reassuringly chunky for sum1 who usually plays 5.

[quote name='OldGit' post='38821' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:35 AM']ha ha ha ha "only"

Once you get your Shuker, mate, you'll be selling all these others, just like me ..[/quote]

Don't say that to the wife Si, she'll kill me :)
Seriously though, I don't know what I'll end up doing, it's quite possible that the 4 string Ibanez will go. I'll probably keep the Jazz as backup or if there's a sound that the Shuker can't do (unlikely-I know) that the jazz can-well who knows.

[quote name='Tinman' post='38842' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:09 AM']Don't say that to the wife Si, she'll kill me :)
Seriously though, I don't know what I'll end up doing, it's quite possible that the 4 string Ibanez will go. I'll probably keep the Jazz as backup or if there's a sound that the Shuker can't do (unlikely-I know) that the jazz can-well who knows.[/quote]

Someone asked me why I was selling my other basses (apart from the need for dosh) which made me think about it - I Just don't play enough gigs to play anything except the Shuker - if I played 5 nights a week it may be different ...
This may change at Christmas, of course :huh:

Quick question for the Fender heads. As my Jazz only has 20 frets I was wondering about it's scale length with a view to buying strings. How is it measured? Does anyone know what it is to save me measuring it? Who's that in there? and where's my potty?

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Tinman' post='38853' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:24 AM']Quick question for the Fender heads. As my Jazz only has 20 frets I was wondering about it's scale length. How is it measured? Does anyone know what it is to save me measuring it? Who's that in there? and where's my potty?[/quote]

Scale lengh is the length of the strings .. nut to bridge,
A Jazz is usually 34 inches and has 20 frets.

[quote name='OldGit' post='38856' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:27 AM']Scale lengh is the length of the strings .. nut to bridge,
A Jazz is usually 34 inches and has 20 frets.[/quote]

Cheers Si. It was a dumb ass question I know and had I thought about it more I would have realised. DOH

*Tinman, how many times have I told you to stand in the corner and face the wall, you stupid boy!*

[quote name='Tinman' post='38857' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:30 AM']Cheers Si. It was a dumb ass question I know and had I thought about it more I would have realised. DOH
*Tinman, how many times have I told you to stand in the corner and face the wall, you stupid boy!*[/quote]

Not so simple if you didn't grow up on Fenders. There are some more modern Fender Jazzes that have more frets. Dunno their scale length but it's probably still 34"
34 is "normal" 35 seems to be a feature of modern 5 strings - some companies think the B need 35" scale.
Not many shorter ones, acoustics, Gibson/Epi EBO's, Hofner Violin, Daisy Rocks and my mate Enrico at [url="http://www.wtbasses.net/"]Wood and Tronics Basses[/url] likes 33in scale on his customs, even the 5 strings.

Fantastic Jazz, basically the same as mine but i added a tort s'plate. Wouldn't swap it for anything at the moment :). Fender seem to have hit the mark with that particular line! Just got a Jazz Deluxe, but already i'm thinking that one of these Standards with a J-retro would whip its ass!

Good call!
Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='spike' post='38930' date='Jul 30 2007, 01:15 PM']Nice bass, Tinman. I bought the exact same model 2 years ago, now I'm a total Jazz bass convert.[/quote]

[quote name='Sibob' post='38936' date='Jul 30 2007, 01:20 PM']Fantastic Jazz, basically the same as mine but i added a tort s'plate. Wouldn't swap it for anything at the moment :). Fender seem to have hit the mark with that particular line! Just got a Jazz Deluxe, but already i'm thinking that one of these Standards with a J-retro would whip its ass!

Good call!
Si[/quote]
Thanks guys
I'm now wondering whether it would look better with a different scratch plate, what do ya reckon? I'm not sure it looks at it's best with white.

[quote name='Tinman' post='38942' date='Jul 30 2007, 01:28 PM']I'm now wondering whether it would look better with a different scratch plate, what do ya reckon? I'm not sure it looks at it's best with white.[/quote]

I'm now wondering what you would look like with a black eye