Why become a member? ×

Bass OD/Distortion Ideas?

chenzo_1

I'm after a Bass OD/Distortion pedal, not looking a heavily distorted or fuzzy sound, after a pedal to just dirty up my signal and give me a bit of ummpph (without losing any bottom end) for certain parts of my bands music.

I've already got a zoom Ultra fuzz which i use and i've tried a big muff and digitech bass driver in the past but didn't get on with them.

I play a musicman stingray.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Vince

You might prefer a Sansamp or similar for a more vintage-y tone. The VTBass looks like something you might like.
I personally prefer the M80, but it is modern sounding, not for everybody's taste.
A good preamp, though, nice clean tone, and great as a DI as well.

Edited by Boneless

I'd say they're quite different, yes.
The MXR M80 has got 2 channels, clean and drive. On the clean channel it's clear and articulate sounding, not much colour, it tends to be quite respectful of your bass's tone. I wouldn't say hi-fi... but not very coloured either (of course, it will be coloured, by hi-fi standards).
The drive channel is very modern sounding, a bit scooped, a bit on the fuzzy side, quite aggressive, I'd say.

The Sansamp BDDI (in its normal version) has got only one channel, and it isn't capable really of distortion, only gets to overdrive, but I don't think that heavy drive is its best feature, it's best with a VERY mild drive, IMHO. It is a very warm sounding preamp, a bit complicated to set properly (it has no mid pot, it has got a "vintage" kind of eq stack, where the mids are fixed and you achieve a KIND OF flat EQ with bass and treble at about 8 o'clock, I don't have one here and the last time I used one has been a year ago, so I might be wrong), and VERY coloured (it has a tone of its own, I think it's supposed to remind of a SVT amp). It features a DI, of course.

The VTBass is a modeling pedal, it isn't a preamp, so you might think of it as a distortion pedal (no DI then), it's supposed to be better at mild-medium drive than a normal Sansamp (they say "think of it as a Bass XXL into a Sansamp BDDI"), I have never tried it, but by what I hear from the samples, it sounds just like a Sansamp with an overdrive before it, as they say. Not modern, though, always "vintage-y".

If you need distortion, and you're happy with your clean tone, I'd get a VTBass, or a M80, if you're OK with the fact that you're actually "underusing" the pedal (it's supposed to be more, much more than a distortion pedal). They cost about the same, I think.

[quote name='chenzo_1' post='370863' date='Jan 5 2009, 01:21 PM']I'm after a Bass OD/Distortion pedal, not looking a heavily distorted or fuzzy sound, after a pedal to just dirty up my signal and give me a bit of ummpph (without losing any bottom end) for certain parts of my bands music.

I've already got a zoom Ultra fuzz which i use and i've tried a big muff and digitech bass driver in the past but didn't get on with them.

I play a musicman stingray.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Vince[/quote]

I recommend you the Digitech Bad Monkey.

If pushed it can produce distorted sounds but at lower settings it just adds a little bit of saturation.

It is a guitar pedal that works ok with bass. It can be modified to be 100% bass friendly. Drop me a PM if you are interested in one.

The only thing about the Bad Monkey is that it might be a bit prone to failing.
I have a Bad Monkey, right beside me, I've had a couple of issues with it I must say, and at the last rehearsals it started coughing out static :huh: but I didn't hear anything wrong from others, though, so it might just be me unlucky :)

Edited by Boneless

I've got a Humprey Modded Bad Monkey, been stomping on it for a year with no issues! Never heard of any reliability issues with em apart from the above.

For the price (£30 new for the stock version) you won't find much better. You can change a couple of caps to make it more bass friendly, but it's meant to be pretty good out of the box. It also sounds awesome going into a VT Bass pedal.

And I think there's a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive in the classifieds...

Oh, but don't get me wrong, if I can't manage to fix mine, I am going to buy another one straightaway.
For the price, a terrific pedal. And even without the low price, if it cost twice as much, I would buy it anyway, I can't think of a pedal under 100€ with that kind of tone, creamy and smooth as freshly made custard :)
Just thought it would be the right thing to do, to point out that I have had some reliability issues.

[quote name='Boneless' post='370947' date='Jan 5 2009, 02:36 PM']The only thing about the Bad Monkey is that it might be a bit prone to failing.
I have a Bad Monkey, right beside me, I've had a couple of issues with it I must say, and at the last rehearsals it started coughing out static :huh: but I didn't hear anything wrong from others, though, so it might just be me unlucky :huh:[/quote]
I am surprised, they are quite reliable pedals. It could be the environment. Sometimes rehearsal rooms don't use antistatic carpet so some pedals get nasty electrostatic charges that fry transistors and/or ICs.

I managed to fry the input stage of a studio channel strip this way :) Some ZVex pedals (e.g. the SHO) suffered from the same weakness until they added a simple protection to the circuit.

In general all pedals can be protected against electrostatic charges but I haven’t seen many builders doing it unless they really have to. I do it in the majority of my pedals but you will struggle to find the same type of protection in other pedals.

An alternative is use an in/out box that acts as an interface between the pedalboard and the outside world. The box contains antistatic protection that protects the entire pedalboard. I built one for a customer that fried a pedal. His unit also contains power supply overvoltage/reverse protection, RFI filtering and mute switch.

Below a diagram that shows how it works.
[attachment=18147:diagram.jpg]

Edited by Silent Fly

+1 To Silent Fly's Modded bad monkey, can't speak to the reliability as i've only had it a week, but it seems sturdy enough. Plenty of range, i got it cause i wanted to balance out my insanely-high-gain-screechy-full-on-angry-synthy fuzz which it certainly does, it can get dirty, but it also does subtle. I havent tried the stock pedal, but i would imagine there is low end loss, so i'd say it's worth getting a modded one, if anything mine ADDS low end in the "deep" mode, love it.

If you're looking for something really subtle, you migt want to try devi ever's year of the rat, you'll have a hard time getting one in this country though, they used to be cheap to get from america, but with the economy dying a slow grisly death and all, they wont be as cheap as they used to be

edit: forgot grygrx did a review of the YOTR, video and sound samples [url="http://bassfuzz.com/2008/06/28/devi-ever-year-of-the-rat-pedal-review/"]here[/url]

Edited by bobbass4k

The Bad Monkey will do it OK then.
It's VERY touch sensitive as well, the degree of overdrive can be easily controlled by simply playing softer or harder. I haven't seen many pedals which respond this naturally to your playing, the Bad Monkey has been a great find.
Even without the mod, though there IS low end loss, it's not too bad... I'd probably mod the pedal though, I'm not too bothered since I have a trebly kind of tone (I will try to mod mine, anyway, with a simple cap change).

Ah, by the way, mine started working again today :)

Edited by Boneless

Bass MuRF does some lovely analog overdrive & you can use it for loads of other stuff.
I'll get some clips on my review of it in a few days so you can hear if it's what you're looking for.
It's a bit more than £30 tho.
G

[quote name='Boneless' post='370929' date='Jan 5 2009, 02:22 PM']The VTBass is a modeling pedal, it isn't a preamp, so you might think of it as a distortion pedal (no DI then), it's supposed to be better at mild-medium drive than a normal Sansamp (they say "think of it as a Bass XXL into a Sansamp BDDI"), I have never tried it, but by what I hear from the samples, it sounds just like a Sansamp with an overdrive before it, as they say. Not modern, though, always "vintage-y".[/quote]

Well technically, all Sansamps (this includes the VT Bass) are preamps in that they're recommended by Tech 21, to lead straight into the effects loop return of the amp (thus bypassing the amplifier's preamp). It states this in the VT Bass manual (BDDI too). The VT Bass and other new pedals from the same collection, don't have DI out, but according to Tech 21, the signal is automatically converted to a "Low Z", meaning it should, theoretically at least, work fine going straight into a power amp, mixing desk or sound card, with no need for a DI out. I've yet to try this myself, I'm intending to find out just how good it is as a preamp when I pick mine up from our rehersal space tomorrow.

As for the sound, I own both the BDDI and VT Bass, both are very good value for money but IMO the VT Bass definitely tops the BDDI as a regular stomp box overdrive. It's still reminiscent of a BDDI. Like it's predecessor, you wont get any wild fuzz sounds out of it, but it does everything from subtle, barely noticeable OD to full-on Motörhead-esque overdrive. The fact that at higher drive settings, it doesn't seem to sound thin but keeps a nice full sound, is where it really surpasses the BDDI in performance IMO. To me, it also sounds a fair bit closer to what I regard to be the SVT sound. Closest I've heard in an effect unit yet.

The VT Bass is easily, the best buy I've made yet, with regards to effects. But, I must say, if you're not a fan of the Ampeg sound, this pedal is most definitely not for you. It [u]will[/u] colour your original tone, afterall it's primarily designed as a preamp to always be left on and only as a stompbox in a secondary nature (though I find it does the latter extremely well).

Well, sorry for the mistake then :) I thought the VTBass was only supposed to be a kind of "overdrive". So can it actually drive a power amp? Is there anyone who has tried to do this and succeeded?

Anyway yes, the BDDI is NOT an overdrive (despite reading about it very often in threads about overdrive-distortion). It might give that HINT of saturation nicely, but it's not a drive, and it doesn't work nicely when cranked, IMHO. Although you can happily drive it with another overdrive before in the chain, I used to drive my BDI when I had one* with a Bad Monkey, which for rock I find it is a perfect complement for it. If you prefer a grittier tone, you might also like the Sansamp GT-2, or the Ashdown Drive Plus. Some like the Guvnor as well, but I hated it.

If you're happy about your clean tone, and you don't have any modeling needs (so you don't need the general sound of the BDDI), the VTBass will be loads better. Otherwise, if you prefer having something that will beef up your clean tone, and OD/Distortion as well, I suggest the cheap combo, Behringer BDI + Digitech Bad Monkey (you can always upgrade to the Sansamp if you feel you need to do it).

*: the Behringer one, I never really LOVED the Sansamp sound since it's too "woolly" for my taste, and the differences with the Behringer BDI are subtle, when used as a modeler and not as a preamp to drive power amps, which the Behringer won't do, having half the volume. If I ever needed to drive a power amp, I would have chosen the Sansamp, of course.

Edited by Boneless

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACKSTAR-HT-DIST-VALVE-DRIVEN-DISTORTION-PEDAL_W0QQitemZ260330269242QQihZ016QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACKSTAR-HT-DIST-VA...Q2em118Q2el1247[/url]

[quote name='Boneless' post='373187' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:05 PM']Well, sorry for the mistake then :) I thought the VTBass was only supposed to be a kind of "overdrive". So can it actually drive a power amp? Is there anyone who has tried to do this and succeeded?[/quote]

No problem :huh: I wasn't too sure myself, until I read the manual.

[quote name='Boneless' post='373187' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:05 PM']Anyway yes, the BDDI is NOT an overdrive (despite reading about it very often in threads about overdrive-distortion). It might give that HINT of saturation nicely, but it's not a drive, and it doesn't work nicely when cranked, IMHO. Although you can happily drive it with another overdrive before in the chain, I used to drive my BDI when I had one* with a Bad Monkey, which for rock I find it is a perfect complement for it. If you prefer a grittier tone, you might also like the Sansamp GT-2, or the Ashdown Drive Plus. Some like the Guvnor as well, but I hated it.[/quote]

+1 on the Sansamp GT2, another great Sansamp pedal. I've just been using mine, plugged straight into my sound card for the first time (even though I've had it for a couple of years now). I didn't even think of trying this until today, I had no manual since it was second hand. Works brilliantly, it probably has a similar Low Z feature to the VT Bass.

[quote name='Boneless' post='373187' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:05 PM']If you're happy about your clean tone, and you don't have any modeling needs (so you don't need the general sound of the BDDI), the VTBass will be loads better. Otherwise, if you prefer having something that will beef up your clean tone, and OD/Distortion as well, I suggest the cheap combo, Behringer BDI + Digitech Bad Monkey (you can always upgrade to the Sansamp if you feel you need to do it).[/quote]

It's more the other way around with the VT bass. The tube emulation will beef up your tone, in a similar way to the BDDI but even better (IMO), only it will add more drive unlike the BDDI. Basically it will do the same job as a BDI and Bad Monkey together.

I guess it depends on your budget. The BDI + Bad Monkey combination works very well and both are great value for money, but if you want the more expensive boutique equivalent all in one neat package then you can always try the VT Bass. As for the Sansamp Bass Driver, I really don't see much point in getting one, when you can get a VT Bass instead for about the same price or a BDI for a whole lot cheaper.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='372915' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:49 AM']the red llama clone im selling in the sales forum could suit you, at low gain adds a dirty grind to the tone of your bass.[/quote]
Built a Red Llama myself, over Christmas. Even 'stock' with no mods, found it not to have that much low end loss (if any) - pretty good.

[quote name='Boneless' post='371295' date='Jan 5 2009, 07:37 PM']The Bad Monkey will do it OK then.
It's VERY touch sensitive as well, the degree of overdrive can be easily controlled by simply playing softer or harder. I haven't seen many pedals which respond this naturally to your playing, the Bad Monkey has been a great find.
Even without the mod, though there IS low end loss, it's not too bad... I'd probably mod the pedal though, I'm not too bothered since I have a trebly kind of tone (I will try to mod mine, anyway, with a simple cap change).

Ah, by the way, mine started working again today :)[/quote]

Just bought one of these cheap off local Gumtree. Looking forward to trying out tomorrow evening, after reading above comments.
Nice simple mod here: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353305&highlight=bad+monkey"]Bad Monkey, C11 mod[/url]

Cheers

redzombie,

[quote]It's more the other way around with the VT bass. The tube emulation will beef up your tone, in a similar way to the BDDI but even better (IMO), only it will add more drive unlike the BDDI. Basically it will do the same job as a BDI and Bad Monkey together.[/quote]

what I meant is "if you have a nice clean tone and you just need some distortion, get a VTBass, if you want to switch between beef and drive, then get a BDI for the beef and a Bad Monkey for the drive".

If the VTBass had two footswitches, one for colour and one for boost/drive, then it would be the ONLY way to go.

EDIT: I just discovered with horror that Tech21 is using the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Sans"]Comic Sans MS[/url] font for the Character series.

:)

I COULDN'T buy something with that crappy font on it, it's offensive :huh:

Edited by Boneless