Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

clauster

My band folded just before Xmas (guitar and vox fell out big time). The drummer and vocalist have punted out the idea of finding two new guitarists to replace him and start again. For various reasons I don't think I'm up for it. So, as far as I can see I've got three other options -

1. Ditch the bass (I've always been a band player and can't do stuff on it on my own) and learn something new (I've always fancied trumpet, but form what I've heard you need to be seriously committed to become and stay vaguely profficient on brass).

2. Spend some time (and maybe some money on lessons) so I can play stuff on my own.

3. Find a new band. I fancy something different (I've always done rock/punk/indie), perhaps folk or even funk/disco.

Help please, as at the moment I just feel like having a bonfire :)

[quote name='clauster' post='364700' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:17 AM']My band folded just before Xmas (guitar and vox fell out big time). The drummer and vocalist have punted out the idea of finding two new guitarists to replace him and start again. For various reasons I don't think I'm up for it. So, as far as I can see I've got three other options -

1. Ditch the bass (I've always been a band player and can't do stuff on it on my own) and learn something new (I've always fancied trumpet, but form what I've heard you need to be seriously committed to become and stay vaguely profficient on brass).

2. Spend some time (and maybe some money on lessons) so I can play stuff on my own.

3. Find a new band. I fancy something different (I've always done rock/punk/indie), perhaps folk or even funk/disco.

Help please, as at the moment I just feel like having a bonfire :)[/quote]

3. Find a new band. This stuff happens. Move on... find a new toy to play with and enjoy!

Oh - and 2. isn't a bad idea either!

Cheers EBS F.

I didn't think one would get much support around here and it's not my favourite option - I did that ten years ago, sold all my bass stuff and invested in other musical stuff. Result = overdraft and a lot of frustration lol. And more of an overdraft when I started back on bass two years ago.

Do what YOU think is the best idea. That way you are the master of your own destiny and can only blame yourself if it all goes tits up.
It is a good trait to be able to seek advice but only you can make the final decision.
My advice is find some like minded musicians , don't do covers, get a few lessons and play loads... :) Merry Christmas...

Oh yeah and that old chestnut .......Warwick = Firewood... :huh:

Edited by Prosebass

Cheers everyone (and sorry I missed some above - my typing is soooooooo slow),

TBH just typing out my options got me thinking about them. I think I might book a few lessons (I know it's not fashionable but I've always wanted to slap and learning to read properly would be good too)

I've got a few people I can jam / write / record with. Including another ex-guitarist who writes some seriously nice pop songs. He's an ex-pro who still has a publishing deal so who knows?

Give it a few months and then I'll be looking for a new band.

Thanks for listening and all your thoughts.

[quote name='clauster' post='364774' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:56 PM']Cheers everyone (and sorry I missed some above - my typing is soooooooo slow),

TBH just typing out my options got me thinking about them. I think I might book a few lessons (I know it's not fashionable but I've always wanted to slap and learning to read properly would be good too)

I've got a few people I can jam / write / record with. Including another ex-guitarist who writes some seriously nice pop songs. He's an ex-pro who still has a publishing deal so who knows?

Give it a few months and then I'll be looking for a new band.

Thanks for listening and all your thoughts.[/quote]

Sounds sensible. After a similar band implosion last year, I took a break for two months then started browsing band adverts, before joining my current outfit. Keeping your hand in by jamming and having lessons great idea too.

[quote name='Weird War' post='364784' date='Dec 28 2008, 01:16 PM']Sounds sensible. After a similar band implosion last year, I took a break for two months then started browsing band adverts, before joining my current outfit. Keeping your hand in by jamming and having lessons great idea too.[/quote]

[quote name='ARGH' post='364731' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:44 AM']Keep playing,summat always turns up..I took aeons before I found a band I could tolerate and vice versa....[/quote]

+1 to the above.
At the moment I'm in the same situation myself & actually quite enjoying it!
Playing with few different bands & musicians,attending jam nights, had a few auditions etc. Sometimes it's a good thing to be outside your comfort zone.
Though I'm not having lessons; I am reacquainting myself with playing styles that have fallen by the wayside like slap & disco due to lack of use.
For me my old band splitting up, was a blessing in disguise. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='clauster' post='364727' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:38 AM']Cheers EBS F.

I didn't think one would get much support around here and it's not my favourite option - I did that ten years ago, sold all my bass stuff and invested in other musical stuff. Result = overdraft and a lot of frustration lol. And more of an overdraft when I started back on bass two years ago.[/quote]

Don't go back down that route as you know it only leads to suffering (it's the Bass Karma gods I tell you).

Find a new band is my advice. Try the online muso finders, Formingbands, etc.

Thanks one and all.

"Did lunch" with the singer and drummer today, we're going to try and find a new guitarist and hopefully a combined second-guitar/keys. Perhaps a slightly different direction too but we'll see.

Still going to book a few lessons in he new year. It's time my playing took a step forward.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='366870' date='Dec 31 2008, 09:42 AM']When you say you can't 'play on your own' how do you mean?[/quote]

I think I should have said I can't play anything I find satisfying without at least one other musician.

DISCLAIMER! The following is how I have seen MY playing of MY bass for the last twenty something years. It is not meant to take away anything from soloists, bedroom players, ERBs, or anything else that sets off flaming and trolling.

I have always seen bass as an ensemble instrument, the instrument that binds the others together and provides cohesion between the rhythm and harmony and I get a buzz out of doing that with other musicians.

I have never developed the artistic creativity to write a melody or rhythm (beyond the major-key, nursery-rhymes necessary for music o-level), perhaps I don;t even have that sort of creativity. What I do have is the informed, technical creativity, founded on a basic understaing of theory, to write what I regard as original and interesting basslines. Without someone else to "bounce off" I'm a bit lost on bass.

One of the reasons I have been considering lessons over the last week is to get me to push past these boundaries I set for myself a long time ago, so that I'm not in a stuation where it's either be in a band or give up.

(Also so that when a non-muso says, "play me something," I can reply with something other than "bass doesn't work like that" :) )

Er...why not do all 3?

Keep doing the band, learn a new instrument (keyboards or guitar (E-Z!) so you can play choonz that people recognise?) and quietly launch a side project in a different genre to the main band.

So, practical example - how about an acoustic duo, coupla guitars and work on your singing as well. No rig to lug around, different set of people, opportunity to look a bit 'poetic' and get laid by women called Briony and Rhiannon...(sorry wandered OT there)

[quote name='clauster' post='367215' date='Dec 31 2008, 04:36 PM']It's probably gotta be just 1 of the three due to those famous bugbears, time and money.[/quote]

Shame...then best keep on with the band.

I've found that occasionally working with a different group of people and shiftily strumming some rtm chords has actually helped my bass playing. If you ever find the time, grab up a cheapo £80 acoustic and bang out some chords. Very therapeutic. And it means you can deliver 'Happy Birthday' on request...

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='367072' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:48 PM']So, practical example - how about an acoustic duo, coupla guitars and work on your singing as well. No rig to lug around, different set of people, opportunity to look a bit 'poetic' and get laid by women called Briony and Rhiannon...(sorry wandered OT there)[/quote]

Not so much Off Topic as Out of Character - you just turned into tBBC!

Happy new year, y'all.