Why become a member? ×

Approaching Companies

ARGH

I had a number of endorsements on the table before the band went south - I just e-mailed away trying to target a bit of a weak spot in most companies.

For example Trace Elliot, still seen a bit as your dads company. Tell them you can change that. For basses its easy in the UK, no one apart from Fender believes they have enough coverage so they'll jump on anything with a glint of promise.

The one thing they all want is facts and figures though. Shows a year and media coverage is pretty much expected in e-mail one.

Hope this helps :)

Stephen

Explain that clearly?

I feel a little weird,just Emailing,and banging on about myself,in the metaphysical future....Theres only a few companies I feel any love for,Tech21 being one..Its more a question of a friend suggesting a string endorsement,and maybe a cable along the same....

Edited by ARGH

I got mine from emailing the companies asking if they did any deals for lesser known players, explaining why I wanted to work with that company ( I've only gone for companies I already use, and would almost definitely use even without endorsement), and giving a CV ( people I've played with, upcoming plans, etc)

I'm lucky enough to now be endorsed by Elixir and Markbass :)

Funnily, the only time a company has come to me is the one time not much has come of it as of yet :huh:

Cheers and good luck,
Alun

I got speaking to the UK Vigier rep and we swapped some tunes etc for fun. A full package was requested and as they were not totally repulsed a deal was done. I won't be able to buy anything at my endorser rate for some time though but really nice to be part of the family, so to speak!

ped

P.s Alun - think I said before - an endorsement with Elixir is a funny one, their strings last me so long I don't think I would ever speak to them!!! Nice to be on the team though, eh!

[quote name='MythSte' post='363390' date='Dec 25 2008, 08:03 PM']It really is just about being shameless. I dont particularly like it but if it gets me free gear or artist prices...![/quote]
Hmm, my band doesn't really live the dream of being adored by the masses for playing originals. We're a bit meat and potatoes and just entertain the punters. Most of the punters probably couldn't give a toss about what strings I'm playing. :) Billy Sheenan was in a covers band for a long time though (Talas) so maybe there's hope for me one day.

[quote name='Alun' post='363399' date='Dec 25 2008, 08:24 PM']To be honest, a busy function band will probably expose the gear to a lot more people than an original band doing the pub circuit :)[/quote]
I like the way you think! Wanna become my agent? :huh:

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' post='363601' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:25 PM']good luck to yer. i really to get hacked off with 'rock stars' getting all the free gear (like they need it?). something for the working man.
VIVA LA ARGHS REVOLUTION![/quote]
Awww fella,you ought to sit down and hear my views on education? Origins of tone,and the facts of plucking....

I'd endorse summat I believe in,but not any old crap...I see Tech21 have redone the Landmark 300w I'd like a bit of that,and I would endorse EMG or Dimarzio...Basses..well I play the best Basses already,and thats fact.

[quote name='Alun' post='363399' date='Dec 25 2008, 08:24 PM']To be honest, a busy function band will probably expose the gear to a lot more people than an original band doing the pub circuit :)[/quote]
Thats a fact,but its exposure in the media I think they work on!

the band i joined in july already have a rotosound endorsement, and have had for years, a stage make up endorsement, a pick endorsement ( even though i rarely use the things!).

When i joined i sent a speculative email to Dean uk asking about their criteria for endorsement giving some background about myself, and hey presto, once i got an email back from them (within a couple of days), they gave me the details, i sent the required info, and the rest , as they say, is history!!

[quote name='MythSte' post='363282' date='Dec 25 2008, 11:46 AM']For basses its easy in the UK, no one apart from Fender believes they have enough coverage so they'll jump on anything with a glint of promise.[/quote]

Oooh, ten/twelve years ago or my bass was serviced/set up by a tech guy in west London who did work for Fender (he didn't work for them, but he did work for them in some capacity). Back then, I was playing in this pop band - not even a live drummer...the odd gig, recording. I suppose in the late 80s/early 90s Fender really wasn't in vogue so much...it was all about Jacksons and pointy gear.

He was very open about the Fender network [back then] scouting for bands/players and alluded at the time that it wasn't so much about making direct contact, it was who you knew on the periphery that mattered. It was all about referrals. I have no qualms whatever about the validity of his credentials and he was pretty genuine. Any deal wouldn't be about getting a truckload of free gear, the endorsement would be about the exclusive use of Fender gear and all you would get was discount at a set amount (so maybe a quarter/third off retail price).

Did we take it further? Yes, a little.
Did I end up with loads of basses? Nope, not a sausage!
So why not? Honestly, I didn't have the money to buy stuff anyhow and I was happyish with my Warwick. Also, I could have sourced the same equipment that Fender laid out cheaper on the street.

P