Why become a member? ×

My wrist hurts!!

AM1

[quote name='uptonmark' post='361126' date='Dec 22 2008, 03:59 PM']smaller feet too, so they can get nearer to the kitchen sink :huh:[/quote]

Haha...soooo predictable :)

Well, here's one for you.

Q. How many divorced men does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. It doesn't matter, they never get the house!

Coat on, running for the door!!!!

Just tried to play a few things upside down, it was highly amusing, like left foot braking!

[quote name='AM1' post='361132' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:03 PM']Haha...soooo predictable :)

Well, here's one for you.

Q. How many divorced men does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. It doesn't matter, they never get the house!

Coat on, running for the door!!!!

Just tried to play a few things upside down, it was highly amusing, like left foot braking![/quote]

Try being a lefty bass player, playing a right- handed bass, right handed and re-strung back to front.......... :huh:

[quote name='yorick' post='361138' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:06 PM']Try being a lefty bass player, playing a right- handed bass, right handed and re-strung back to front.......... :)[/quote]

Haha, looks like you're in the weirdo club with me :-)

EDIT - have you got any clips of you playing??

I might make some footage later of the highly amusing situation of playing a right handed bass upside down with the strings the wrong way round.

Edited by AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='361140' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:08 PM']Haha, looks like you're in the weirdo club with me :-)

EDIT - have you got any clips of you playing??

I might make some footage later of the highly amusing situation of playing a right handed bass upside down with the strings the wrong way round.[/quote]

Not playing like that anyway!!!! That was way before film was invented..... If you search "life denied" on you tube, you'll see some of me playing normal(?). Just look for the long ginger goatee. :)

[quote name='yorick' post='361147' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:13 PM']Not playing like that anyway!!!! That was way before film was invented..... If you search "life denied" on you tube, you'll see some of me playing normal(?). Just look for the long ginger goatee. :)[/quote]

To answer the question (posed earlier I think ) about does anyone play a RH bass - the wrong way up, still strung for RH ...... I'm sure the guy from Doves does. Very strange.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FL2cEbyzOOI"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FL2cEbyzOOI[/url]

A

[quote name='AM1' post='361071' date='Dec 22 2008, 03:16 PM']EDIT - I forgot to ask, can you get the same basses as left handers that you can as right handers????[/quote]

I'm left handed and play left handed bass. You will severely limit your options if you choose to go forward and play a left handed bass – there is simply not the demand for them – I think I’ve seen one lefty bass in a shop.

A fellow BC'er pointed me to this: [url="http://www.leftybass.com"]http://www.leftybass.com[/url] might be useful.

Despite this, you do look far more cool with a left-handed bass.

[quote name='AM1' post='361091' date='Dec 22 2008, 03:34 PM']So my choice is spend coin doing the reconfig job on my right handed bass, spend coin on a left hander or go and see Harold Shipman and hope he doesn't try and finish me off![/quote]
I'd suggest the last. I am a bit biased though, my mother never killed anyone in 20 years or so of being a GP and I've had mainly good experiences of the NHS. If it's a major problem for you (as it appears from the content of your posts), could you get someone to go with you for support?

[quote name='Moody' post='361179' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:45 PM']You will severely limit your options if you choose to go forward and play a left handed bass – there is simply not the demand for them – I think I’ve seen one lefty bass in a shop.[/quote]

I was going to say this as well, don't go left-handed unless there really is no other alternative -- plus the fact that you'd have to re-learn everything you've done in the past weeks -- which is probably not the hugest deal, but the limiting your options bit you may regret later, if only for the fact that you won't really be able to play anyone else's bass at your next local bassbash :huh:

In regards to the medical aspect -- I understand, I won't go into detail, but trust me I can understand where you're coming from. Someone else mentioned a chiropractor, would you consider something like that, or some alternative treatment, an option?

Anyways, the real reason I posted is because I think I might be able to help -- a few people have mentioned playing height, and playing hand-position, and I think that [i]may[/i] help you out a lot. When I play, my wrist is usually almost straight and it's just my hand which is bent, unless I'm playing on the E string, in which case it's often bent only slightly. You can see it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=22&view=findpost&p=340558"]here[/url] where I'm playing. I'm sure I've got my bass a bit too high to be a rock god, but I'm not exactly Mark King either -- yea, anyways, I thought that might help, as it reduces the bending-your-wrist bit, doesn't involve you changing your bass or buying a new one, and avoids the doctors. :)

It may take a while to get used to, and you might not exactly have the muscles for it yet, but as long as it's only the muscles which are sore and there's no agony, then you'll be ok -- building up the muscles takes forever, but you'll get there.

Of course, I could just be completely spouting nonsense, in which case I'm sure someone point it out. :huh:

Thank you for understanding!!!!!!!

Will give it a go.

Just played for another while, I can't help myself!! Will need to find some cheap liquor to kill the pain!

Naughty naughty.

Will look at the link in a bit.

EDIT - just looked at the link - that is EXACTLY the same position I am playing in at the moment, it does really help but a bit achey on the shoulder. Yeah, no way could I play and hold the neck horizontal - not a chance.

Cheers
AM

[quote name='escholl' post='361324' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:33 PM']I was going to say this as well, don't go left-handed unless there really is no other alternative -- plus the fact that you'd have to re-learn everything you've done in the past weeks -- which is probably not the hugest deal, but the limiting your options bit you may regret later, if only for the fact that you won't really be able to play anyone else's bass at your next local bassbash :huh:

In regards to the medical aspect -- I understand, I won't go into detail, but trust me I can understand where you're coming from. Someone else mentioned a chiropractor, would you consider something like that, or some alternative treatment, an option?

Anyways, the real reason I posted is because I think I might be able to help -- a few people have mentioned playing height, and playing hand-position, and I think that [i]may[/i] help you out a lot. When I play, my wrist is usually almost straight and it's just my hand which is bent, unless I'm playing on the E string, in which case it's often bent only slightly. You can see it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=22&view=findpost&p=340558"]here[/url] where I'm playing. I'm sure I've got my bass a bit too high to be a rock god, but I'm not exactly Mark King either -- yea, anyways, I thought that might help, as it reduces the bending-your-wrist bit, doesn't involve you changing your bass or buying a new one, and avoids the doctors. :)

It may take a while to get used to, and you might not exactly have the muscles for it yet, but as long as it's only the muscles which are sore and there's no agony, then you'll be ok -- building up the muscles takes forever, but you'll get there.

Of course, I could just be completely spouting nonsense, in which case I'm sure someone point it out. :huh:[/quote]

Edited by AM1

I've had a bunch of problems from playing bass, I found the Dr. Kertz book (mentioned earlier) really useful. I also found doctors absolutely useless, but have you tried [url="http://www.bapam.org.uk"]BAPAM[/url]? I went to one of their physios to treat my shoulder tendonitis and for once I was treated by someone who actually understood the problem and how to treat it while still allowing me to keep playing.

If you're still against seeking any kind of treatment then I'd give the same advice as everyone else here: switch to lighter gauge strings, lower your action, consider looking for a short scale bass, and try to keep as relaxed as possible when playing. Also don't play for too long in one go, I practice in 15 minute slots with a 5 minute break between which helps to keep any problems at bay. Good luck!

[quote name='TKenrick' post='361823' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:37 AM']I've had a bunch of problems from playing bass, I found the Dr. Kertz book (mentioned earlier) really useful. I also found doctors absolutely useless, but have you tried [url="http://www.bapam.org.uk"]BAPAM[/url]? I went to one of their physios to treat my shoulder tendonitis and for once I was treated by someone who actually understood the problem and how to treat it while still allowing me to keep playing.

If you're still against seeking any kind of treatment then I'd give the same advice as everyone else here: switch to lighter gauge strings, lower your action, consider looking for a short scale bass, and try to keep as relaxed as possible when playing. Also don't play for too long in one go, I practice in 15 minute slots with a 5 minute break between which helps to keep any problems at bay. Good luck![/quote]

I had a bad spell of the old rotator cuff problem in my right shoulder. I saw both my doctor and a private physio. I have to say that both where very sympathetic to the "I have to keep playing" scenario although I did reduce my playing to the bare minimum for a couple of months. Both had a very good go at fixing what is obviously a tricky situation to sort out. It took a couple of cortisone shots to shift it in the end (by my evil doctor :) ) and - touch wood - it's been fine since. I am careful now and play with a fashionably long strap to minimise the shoulder strain.

Hi There,

Some great advice above. I think that if you only started playing in early December and you are playing for more than two hours a day it may be a case of too much too soon? From your first post you said you had only played for two hours in a day?

I can't remember back to when I started but I am sure its probably a lot like any exercise where you should build up the amount gradually. It's quite a physical thing bass playing - I would stop for 2-3 days and then do 10 minutes the day after and see how it feels and then move on from there.

Steve

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='361303' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:06 PM']Blimey, how does that work???

Matt[/quote]

From what I can hear, it doesn't :)
Saying that tho, the guitarist should maybe try playing that way too :huh:

On a serious side tho, AM.

Playing left handed may work well for you & I hope it does, but it doesn't get rid of the problem which may still be a pain playing lefty.
I'd try restringing your bass to left & see how you get on with it but I would get someone private (physio, etc) to have a look at your lump for your long term benefit.

I get a pain in my wrist also, but only when I'm holding octaved notes & I'm fine if I'm holding a chord as long as it's not for too long (I blame old age for this!).

Anyway, welcome to the world of bass & hope you get sorted by which ever method & enjoy it.

G

• 2 weeks later...