Left leaderboard
Jabba_the_gut

Short Scale 'Thing' (was going to be 23" but ended up 27"...)

Just now, TheGreek said:

The company I work for just bought a Lazar engraving machine - we haven't had it up and running yet but when it is I'm sure we can come to some arrangement about putting logos on veneers...

That would be interesting....

53 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

One very last little bit to this build, I made a truss rod cover from a leftover piece of ebony. As I decide not to put a logo on the headstock as I think it would have been too much, I decided to put a little mother of pearl logo on the truss rod cover.

depMbA3.jpg

That's it, job done. On to the next!

Cheers for the comments and feedback - much appreciated!

Take care.

Man that’s classy.

Can you recommend a source of not-to-expensive-in-case-I-screw-up timber for a first ground-up build.

I was thinking body - something fairly vanilla, neck maple, fingerboard anything dark and nice veneer for the front of the body.

I've got everything else I need except a bridge, and I can make one as my hobby is metalworking.

I even stole a bone off the do so I can make a bone nut.

But if definitely needs to be both cheap and easily obtained otherwise I'll end up ordering a kit!

• Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 22:04, Stub Mandrel said:

Can you recommend a source of not-to-expensive-in-case-I-screw-up timber for a first ground-up build.

I was thinking body - something fairly vanilla, neck maple, fingerboard anything dark and nice veneer for the front of the body.

I've got everything else I need except a bridge, and I can make one as my hobby is metalworking.

I even stole a bone off the do so I can make a bone nut.

But if definitely needs to be both cheap and easily obtained otherwise I'll end up ordering a kit!

@Stub Mandrel Sorry - missed this post. 

I quite like the Wood Veneer Hub for veneers - they have some nice stuff and quite reasonably priced I think. Fancy wood tops are quite pricey - it isn't difficult to spend £100+ on some exotic top.

As for body woods, there often isn't a particularly cheap option if you go down the route of the usual luthier supplies (typically £50+ for a body blank, £25+ for a neck blank). There are generally some decent UK wood suppliers that sell neck and body blanks that are already at the right thickness and are dry. The other option is if you have some form of timber/diy shop nearby (not the big chains). I'm quite lucky as I have a handyman diy shop locally that stocks woods like sapele and sometimes things like ash that is reasonably priced. 

Always worth a look to see if you have a saw mill or timber supplier local to you - these can be quite well hidden - I've come across a couple of places right on my doorstep which I knew nothing about (turned out a guy who works for one of them lived a few doors down my road!!). The other place I came across was a local cabinet maker - again worth a shout as they might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

Someone did once suggest to try the local recycling centre as they has seen some quite nice wood there!!

• Thanks 1

On 10/05/2020 at 22:04, Stub Mandrel said:

20 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Always worth a look to see if you have a saw mill or timber supplier local to you

I found Harlows quite good in Derby.. There is a BoT branch too:

Harlows Branch Finder

• Thanks 1

Ah!

I've been to Harlows in the past, I thought they only did building timber.

There's a place in Fradley too.

I've ordered a cheap Harley Benton kit, might wait and do that first - finishing the timber will be my biggest challenge

• Like 1

If you can find an old park bench they're normally built of Mahogany and over an inch thick. 

• Haha 1

Madinter has instrument woods, too. Their blackwood was my choice for the fretless fretboard. Hard and black. It is actually tinted.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've got my eye on an old piano...

You've seen this I suppose?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

You've seen this I suppose?

Yep!

• Like 1