Why become a member? ×

(Accidentally) ripping off basslines!

jmstone

Anyone else had this problem?

I was playing through a new song with the band at our last practice, and came up with what I thought was a pretty cool bassline for part of it, until one of the other guys pointed out it was "quite like" a White Stripes track.. I then realised it was pretty much the bassline from 7 Nation Army with maybe one note different..

So what do you do? Come up with something else? Keep it in as a kind of kitsch reference to the White Stripes (it's not as if it makes up a major part of our song)? Give up on playing in a band and look for a job as a shoe salesman?

Thoughts?

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='353645' date='Dec 13 2008, 03:35 PM']I think it's kind of inevitable that it happens at some point. I realised the other week I'd ripped off something by avenged sevenfold. As long as people don't hear it and think 'Oh, it's that white stripes/avenged sevenfold/joe bloggs bassline' then I shouldn't think it matters.[/quote]
Me neither. I'd draw the line at Ken off Bros's riffs though.

I did this years ago with a Lords of the New Church b side.

I wrote a bassline, and the guitarist came up with his part for it. We thought it was quite good. And then I revisited the single - not only was 'my' bassline almost the same but the guitarist's part was virtually identical as well. The weird thing was that I'd only ever played the song once, maybe 9 months beforehand, and the guitarist had never heard it.

The only thing we could do was ditch the entire thing...

It really depends if you are passing it off as your own work, IMHO. I play things when jamming with the drum machine that I realise sound a bit like something I've heard, I think everyone does it. I do think what you play is a distillation of talent, imagination and influences and I've not sure its always an exact 3 way split.

[quote name='Musky' post='353653' date='Dec 13 2008, 03:41 PM']I did this years ago with a Lords of the New Church b side.

I wrote a bassline, and the guitarist came up with his part for it. We thought it was quite good. And then I revisited the single - not only was 'my' bassline almost the same but the guitarist's part was virtually identical as well. The weird thing was that I'd only ever played the song once, maybe 9 months beforehand, and the guitarist had never heard it.

The only thing we could do was ditch the entire thing...[/quote]

Yeh.. I must say it's a bit weird 'cos I don't even like the White Stripes that much, and I certainly haven't been practicing any of their basslines! Still, it must have seeped into my consciousness through the constant bombardment from the radio etc... Or maybe it's such an obvious bassline it just emerged on its own.. Another of my songs (when I was writing songs on the guitar) sounded a bit like "what's happenening" by The Byrds... although my song was a lot more interesting!! (heh heh)... Still, not as blatant as Elastica's "Waking Up" rip off of The Stranglers "No More Heroes", I hope!

I rip off basslines by accident all the time, and it really winds me up, because instead of coming up with a nice bassline I end up playing something else and end up completely distracted from my original intentions, witch are composing something new.

[quote name='jmstone' post='353671' date='Dec 13 2008, 04:02 PM']Still, not as blatant as Elastica's "Waking Up" rip off of The Stranglers "No More Heroes", I hope![/quote]

lol, elastica were the reason i first picked up a guitar! they were terrible for ripping people off (the other classic was 'connection' and 'three girl rhumba' by wire).

i agree that its bound to happen sometimes due to things unconsciously slipping in. a few of my own basslines have felt comfortable and familiar and i am always just a little paranoid that its because i've heard it before...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='353801' date='Dec 13 2008, 07:00 PM']I play Blues... It's almost impossible not to accidentally re-use a bassline someone else has come up with...[/quote]

I'd say not only 'almost impossible not to' but sometimes 'absolutely necessary to'. Anyway, isn't that what blues players have always done?

More generally, I'd say re-using a part from another song is not necessarily 'ripping off'. The line may play a different role in the harmony/rhythm even if it's exactly the same line.

And haven't musicians always done this?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote]I play Blues... It's almost impossible not to accidentally re-use a bassline someone else has come up with...[/quote]

Same here, I find alot of the covers we do are very similar (12 bar pattern with the chords in a different order). One bass line I did was almost identical to Stuck in the middle with you, but it fitted. Any how that band is no more so it doesn't really matter.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='353801' date='Dec 13 2008, 07:00 PM']I play Blues[/quote]

Same here, and I LOVE it! Although it's quite a simple form of music, it's amazing what the right group of musicians can do with it. I know I basically use the same basslines and fills for the entire set though :)