Why become a member? ×

Musicman Bongo- your views

Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='39895' date='Aug 1 2007, 10:44 AM']Was it this one Stew?[/quote]

Mmmmmmmmm. That's the one. It was one of those bargain quick sale exactly the bass I want type once in a lifetime opportunities which I just couldn't finance.
really glad it found a good home.

One day, one day.

I owned two of them . Single pup and double pup. Playability was great. Same old dead spots that plague the Stingray, though not as many. Massive sound, but no warmth...you get all electronics....the neck is fast..but cheaply painted, (thin)....and the looks grow on you....I'll get another used single pup someday....but just for fun...it's an oddity bass.

Edited by jammie17

I think they look a bit wierd, but they play and sound incredible!

If the sound is a little... perfect... for you, there is always a DHA knocking around to filth it up a bit.

Me, I don't have that problem! Filth aplenty in my setup...

Edited by DrGonzo

I've owned 2 5ers. One HH and one H/Piezo.

The HH was all good, VERY powerful tone. It made my Korg G5 come alive in a way that nothing else ever has. I loved the electronics but could take or leave the instrument. The looks were OK, but it all felt a bit stodgy. This is an incredibly subjective description and the truth is that if I could have afforded to have kept it, then I would have. The lower horn digged into my leg when I sat as well. I had picked up an MTD Kingston for next to nothing at the same time and, for me, as a piece of wood with vibrating strings on it it was miles ahead - REALLY nice neck, great spacing, lighter than a light thing. The Bongo sounded fabulous, I really enjoyed playing the MTD

The H/piezo was one I took in a trade because I had a bass I could not shift and I'd always wanted to try a piezo bridge. It lacked the visceral grunt that the HH had and (for me) the piezo thing was underwhelming so it went as well.

They were both good basses and when the opportunity arises I will probably buy another HH just for the sheer grunt factor it provided. If I could gut one and put the electronics into my Stingray5-alike then I would do so without hesitation.

So all things considered, that's a yes then!