Why become a member? ×

Relapsing bass player in Edinburgh

Nickthebass

Hey folks - my name's Nick and I live in Edinburgh. 

I've been playing since I was in my mid teens (going to be 40 this year) and moved to Edinburgh a few years back. I'm originally from London but was in Aberdeen for a few years too. Due to the arrival of kids etc. I've struggled to find time to play over the past 3-4 years.

Part of trying to get this part of my life restarted includes coming back to forums like this so I thought I'd do a quick intro.

As a player I tend to aim into the Jamerson/Babbit/Jerry Jermott/Willie Weeks type space. I got really lucky when I was young as I had a couple of year learning with Paul Westwood who taught me basic harmony and how to walk through jazz standards before showing me how all that stuff culminated in James Jamerson. 

Since then I've done a load of different things (blues, big band and small band jazz, functions, originals, drum'n'bass / breaks, country / singer songwriter stuff).

Gear wise I'm pretty much a J-bass guy - my main squeeze being a through neck 5 string which wears some old flats (it looks fancy but it's basically just a jazz bass with a narrower string spacing) running through a Genz Benz Streamliner and some Barefaced cabs.

If anyone knows any good jams or teachers in or around Edinburgh then let me know. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nickthebass said:

I've been playing since I was in my mid teens (going to be 40 this year) and moved to Edinburgh a few years back. I'm originally from London but was in Aberdeen for a few years too. Due to the arrival of kids etc. I've struggled to find time to play over the past 3-4 years.

Part of trying to get this part of my life restarted includes coming back to forums like this so I thought I'd do a quick intro.

As a player I tend to aim into the Jamerson/Babbit/Jerry Jermott/Willie Weeks type space. I got really lucky when I was young as I had a couple of year learning with Paul Westwood who taught me basic harmony and how to walk through jazz standards before showing me how all that stuff culminated in James Jamerson. 

Since then I've done a load of different things (blues, big band and small band jazz, functions, originals, drum'n'bass / breaks, country / singer songwriter stuff).

Gear wise I'm pretty much a J-bass guy - my main squeeze being a through neck 5 string which wears some old flats (it looks fancy but it's basically just a jazz bass with a narrower string spacing) running through a Genz Benz Streamliner and some Barefaced cabs.

If anyone knows any good jams or teachers in or around Edinburgh then let me know. 

Welcome aboard Nick your a man of my own heart with your influences....throw a bit of Tommy Cogbill in the mix aswell and all's good...it's a great forum with plenty going on, enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickthebass said:

Thanks all...

@thebigyin  Tommy Cogbill .... definitely could be described as "naughty donkey". Don't know masses about him other than "Preacher Man" to be honest.

Hi Nick check out some early Aretha Franklin and Wilson Pickett some classic 60s RnB.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:51, Nickthebass said:

5-string through a Streamliner and Barefaced cab? Nick, you're talking my language!!

Welcome on board, feller.

• 2 weeks later...