Why become a member? ×

FOR SALE: 1991 Warwick Thumb Bass NT 4 string SOLD!!!!

Gunsfreddy2003

Having to sell to fund my new GB Rumour bass which is going to be ready in a matter of weeks! I will be very sorry to see her go as she has been a trusty and reliable bass for a long,long time.

There are some signs of wear on the bass but nothing out of the ordinary for a guitar that is 17 years old. There is some "thumb rash" above the bridge pick up and a couple of scratches around the jack socket and cut away to the neck. However I repeat that these are minor and cannot be seen unless you look really, really close!

The bass has been polished regularly with Warwick polish and was set up earlier this year so plays like a dream. This is certainly the most reliable bass that I have owned and no wonder that they are the choice of so many pro's!

Please note that as I am funding a new bass I am not open to any trades for this one.

I understand that about the £800 mark is what this is worth which is a little hard to swallow given that I paid nearly £2k for her.

If you want see more pics then please follow the link below:

[url="http://www.mattbrodie.com/thumbbass"]Thumb Bass pic gallery[/url]

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='353064' date='Dec 12 2008, 08:03 PM']I have a 91 NT Thumb and they are truly superb basses. Great neck, no neck dive, growly tone, active & passive, quality construction and beautiful to boot. Not at all expensive for what it is imo.[/quote]

I've got one too, I'll never sell it. We should compare serials and see how closely related they are. :)

You speak a very true word my friend.

They are a classic bass and everyone should own or have owned one at least in their bass playing career. It does just seem to be a real shame that the 2nd hand value of them at the moment is on the floor. If I did not need to pay the bill for the GB then there is no way that I would let it go for under a grand - it is nothing short of criminal.

Mark

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='353064' date='Dec 12 2008, 08:03 PM']I have a 91 NT Thumb and they are truly superb basses. Great neck, no neck dive, growly tone, active & passive, quality construction and beautiful to boot. Not at all expensive for what it is imo.

Bump[/quote]

I will find the serial number and post a bit later just to see how close they were all built!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='353115' date='Dec 12 2008, 08:44 PM']I've got one too, I'll never sell it. We should compare serials and see how closely related they are. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='353716' date='Dec 13 2008, 05:00 PM']Well I'm definitely closer!

A2676 91[/quote]

Damn does that mean yours is older than mine, by 38 basses?

They probably used to know eachother. We should ring [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EqPAuotjkM4"]Cilla[/url].

Edited by thisnameistaken

Now that would make for an interesting TV program!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='353744' date='Dec 13 2008, 05:38 PM']Damn does that mean yours is older than mine, by 38 basses?

They probably used to know eachother. We should ring [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EqPAuotjkM4"]Cilla[/url].[/quote]

That is a lovely bass. I've never owned a Thumb for various reasons (most of the ones I've played have been bloody heavy and have neck-dived for a start) but if I ever get the chance to rectify that I'd love one just like yours, which is about as nice a Thumb as I've ever seen. The older ones are really, really nice.

I remember them first coming into the Bass Centre in Wapping all those centuries ago; could not get my head round them at the time. "Where's the finish?" was one of my first comments, I believe... :) . FWIW I've had 2 Dolphins, a '91 and a '96 and the first blew the second out of the water.

Edited by 4000

Thanks for the kind comments on the Thumb.

Funnily enough this one actually came from The Bass Centre when they were in Wapping!

I remember going down to London to buy this bass and could not believe how many Warwick's they had in stock - it was like heaven. I chose mine because it was the best looking that day and played like a dream.

Only seems like yesterday but it was a fair old while ago now.

Hope someone buys her soon and gives her a good home.

Mark

[quote name='4000' post='354222' date='Dec 14 2008, 01:44 PM']That is a lovely bass. I've never owned a Thumb for various reasons (most of the ones I've played have been bloody heavy and have neck-dived for a start) but if I ever get the chance to rectify that I'd love one just like yours, which is about as nice a Thumb as I've ever seen. The older ones are really, really nice.

I remember them first coming into the Bass Centre in Wapping all those centuries ago; could not get my head round them at the time. "Where's the finish?" was one of my first comments, I believe... :) . FWIW I've had 2 Dolphins, a '91 and a '96 and the first blew the second out of the water.[/quote]

Nice one - will update the ad on the 'bay now.

Did you sell yours this weekend?

Mark

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='354657' date='Dec 14 2008, 10:58 PM']Just a heads-up as it could matter to a potential buyer (and 'might' help you achieve a higher price) but your eBay ad needs a quick amendment... the neck is wenge (and bubinga) not ovankol; ovankol is the wood of choice for the recent range not these old basses. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='354793' date='Dec 15 2008, 09:13 AM']Nice one - will update the ad on the 'bay now.

Did you sell yours this weekend?

Mark[/quote]

No but with so many Thumbs floating around on the forum I don't expect to. :)

I'm not in a massive hurry as I've sold my P bass to a BCer and a Warwick forum member has bought one of my Infinettes... just waiting for 'further' verification on my paypal account so that I can access the funds!