Why become a member? ×

Drawing app for graphic notation?

Basinski

Maybe not the best place to ask, this might not even be the right section, but it is kind of music related.

It's more of a graphic design question. I'm looking for an app for iPad that will turn my freehand wobbly curves, lines and shapes into neat looking curves and lines. It's for my PhD thesis. I've been studying a concept called Spectromorphology, which is a way of analysing the sonic footprint of a sound as it manifests in time. I've got freehand sketches that I want to convert so they look professional.

Similar to the ones in the photo attached.

Suggestions would be most welcome, thank you.

notations-1.png

Edited by Basinski
  • Like 1

I don't know of anything that will automatically tidy up your drawings. Back in the day I'd have used CorelTrace, part of the CorelDraw suite, to vectorise a scan of the picture. It might take as long to tidy up the nodes after the trace as it would to re-draw though. 

It might be worth having a look at Inkscape - it's a free vector drawing app (a bit like CorelDraw). It's a very capable application and handily supports layers, which can be locked and switched on/off.

Also Draw.IO is a bit like Visio, but free, and you can download a desktop version (it's primarily web based).

I'd probably scan the drawing onto the computer, then add it to Inkscape as a background layer and use it as a guide to re-draw it. The nice thing about vector drawing is that you can tweak & adjust things as many times as you like. Once you get the hang of editing nodes there's not much you can't knock up pretty quickly 

• Like 1