Why become a member? ×

"Live" drumbeats (not samples) for acoustic band....

solo4652

I'm setting up an acoustic band with my good friend. He plays guitar (with a number of foot pedal effects), guitar synth, and he sings using a cheek mic via a vocal effects doodah controlled by  foot switches and pedals. I don't know how he manages all that. There is another guitarist (who also uses some effects via foot pedals) and who sings, myself on electric bass, and another singer. We want to add some decent drum beats to give the songs genuine drive and a rhythm for me to play against, but without having a traditional drummer there to keep the band footprint as small as possible. I've seen the porchboard-type stompboxes, and also things like the Ortega Horsekick pro, but we want something a bit more sophisticated than that with fills, chorus/verse variations, outros etc, not just a repetitive bang - bang- bang- bang sound. My guitarist friend is talking about a BeatBuddy, but I'm not keen on this for two reasons:

He's got enough to do already with playing guitar, guitar synth, and singing, all  with associated pedals. He's only got two feet and one brain!

Being a bit of a "keep it live" purist, I don't really want to play with programmed drum samples or backing tracks. I want to be able to say to the audience that everything they hear is being produced live by us. My choice would be a good cajon player with added cymbals and Heck stick. Rare as hens' teeth.

So - ideas please!

I recently saw a guy using a cajon / djembe combination that worked really well. Sat on the cajon, with a reversed kick pedal worked with his right heel. Left foot had another kick pedal which operated a tambourine. In front of him he had a large djembe, which he played mostly with brushes. I have a video but it's too big to attach. (or to share via Dropbox, apparently :0(  )

Edited by Earbrass

Guest subaudio

How about a drummer using a Roland SPD-SX with a bass drum pedal/trigger and possibly real high hats?

Lots of drummers use them these days.

12 hours ago, Earbrass said:

I recently saw a guy using a cajon / djembe combination that worked really well. Sat on the cajon, with a reversed kick pedal worked with his right heel. Left foot had another kick pedal which operated a tambourine. In front of him he had a large djembe, which he played mostly with brushes. I have a video but it's too big to attach. (or to share via Dropbox, apparently :0(  )

I play the cajon, but I'd consider myself very much a beginner/improver. Obviously, I can't play bass and cajon at the same time! I have considered handing bass-playing duties to another bassist, while I switch to cajon. However, I'd rather play bass than cajon, being honest. Another option might be for me to switch to cajon, while the two guitarists use octaver effects, meaning we do without a bassist completely. Heresey, I know.

21 minutes ago, StevieE said:

Any reason why you don't just look for a percussionist to join the band? 

We're trying to keep the band footprint as small as possible. Easy load-ins and outs. Don't want a loud acoustic drumkit, but possibly open to some sort of electronic drumkit. Want to keep things simple - don't want a big drumkit. We're an acoustic band doing charity gigs, not loud 'n' blokey venues. Hand percussionist of some sort would be OK. I've just done a quick search on Join My Band and found two local cajon players. Probably shoot them a message.

• Like 1