Why become a member? ×

Rhythm Stick .. My band don't "get" it

OldGit

[quote name='zigmondo' post='348926' date='Dec 8 2008, 06:56 PM']I think I'm right in saying that it was the bassline that was the prime mover for the track being born in the first place. I can also say that the bassline is not original and is from a song of around 15-20 years earlier...blowed if I know which one though!
S' OK: hose me down in napalm if I'm in error. :huh:[/quote]

You may be confusing that with the story of Sex n Drugs and Rock and Roll where Ian Dury borrowed the chorus melody from an Ornette Coleman record bass line. That itself was borrwed from an old English dance tune called Old Joe Clarke.
Wikipedia on the subject
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_Drugs_and_Rock_and_Roll"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_Drugs_and_Rock_and_Roll[/url]

Here's an Old Joe Clarke vid that proves that nothing is new - even the kids wearing their jeans so low their belts are around their knees :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='348879' date='Dec 8 2008, 06:00 PM']"sounds to me like it's keys and guitar that drive it along."[/quote]

I can barely hear what I [i]think[/i] is the guitars on that vid (I know the balance is out 'cos of the overlayed bass tho), and the keys are sporadic, so how can they be "driving the song"? Bloody Plank-w***ers.

I guess every musician secretly thinks it would all fall apart without them though, no matter what instrument they play. Gotta remember it's a team game!

If you took out everything except the bass, drums and vocals, Rhythm Stick would still be as funky as feck. In fact, I'd love to hear a Bass Only Mix..! :)
If you had everything in there [i]except[/i] the bass, what would you have? Certainly not a 'driving' tune. The bass IS the song, it's a masterpiece.

[quote name='Rich' post='349490' date='Dec 9 2008, 11:03 AM']If you took out everything except the bass, drums and vocals, Rhythm Stick would still be as funky as feck. In fact, I'd love to hear a Bass Only Mix..! :huh:
If you had everything in there [i]except[/i] the bass, what would you have? Certainly not a 'driving' tune. The bass IS the song, it's a masterpiece.[/quote]

Ha ha You cme and tell them next time you see us Rich :)
Actually I was planning to stun 'em wth the effect of adding the bass as they've only worked on it it without me so far

I´m surprised no one has posted this yet:

[url="http://www.theblockheads.com/audio.php?a=norman_plays_hit_me&t=Norman+Plays+%27Hit+Me%27"]http://www.theblockheads.com/audio.php?a=n...ys+%27Hit+Me%27[/url]

The man himself, soloed.

And if I recall the story correctly NMW did say that he had listened to lots of Jaco the day before the Rhythm Stick session...

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='349537' date='Dec 9 2008, 11:27 AM']And if I recall the story correctly NMW did say that he had listened to lots of Jaco the day before the Rhythm Stick session...[/quote]

Actually the story goe, Norman saw Jaco play the day before at a concert and was so impressed with his 16th runs. This was the inspiration for the Ryhthm stick basslines.

NWR is the British Rocco Prestia IMO, then again in alot of ways the Blockheads are are very British take on the whole Tower of Power sound.

TOP have the more overtly astounding horn section - not detracting from the Blockheads at all, they are fantastic too! - But I like the more laid back Blockheads rhythm section feel more.

But I really do rate NWR on form as every bit as good as Rocco - who is about as funky as fingerstyle can get IMO....

And yeah I've been working on this forever, on a really good day my version sounds pretty spot on to my ears, on an average day I despair though :)

I use a slightly different fingering to DK though (staying up high for the whole verse bit rather than wanderign around as much), dont know which is better, do know he plays it brilliantly tho. Swine :huh:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='349728' date='Dec 9 2008, 02:11 PM']I gather NWR was really into Jaco when he came up with that bassline, which makes total sense. A while back my bandmates decided we'd cover this whilst I was absent but I've yet to put aside the time to nail it properly. I'll be singing as well for added fun...

Alex[/quote]

Singing lead [b]and[/b] playing bass on this?
Wow!

[quote name='51m0n' post='349684' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:33 PM']I use a slightly different fingering to DK though (staying up high for the whole verse bit rather than wanderign around as much), dont know which is better, do know he plays it brilliantly tho. Swine :)[/quote]

If you're like me you probably finger the verse around the 8th position which makes for economy of movement. However, I understand from someone who has studied Norman, that he plays it by jumping from the 3rd to the 8th position and back again, phew! A true workout which I probably noodle through every time I pick up my bass as it makes everything else I have to play seem easier!

It might interest some to know that despite Norman using a Jazz exclusively these days, Stick was apparently played on a P with a J p/up added according to the man himself.

The rhythm guitarist in my blues band (experienced guy, been playing 30+ years) went to see Wilko Johnson last Friday (a band I've seen MANY times, of course) and sent me an email over the weekend.

He reckons their bass player is really good and I should check him out. He thinks the guy's name is Norman something, and apparently he used to play with The Blockheads.

I'm not making this up.

I nearly replied that I'd just heard of a blues guitarist called Joe Satchmo or something who's allegedly quite good, too.

Or maybe it was Eric Clappedout.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='349843' date='Dec 9 2008, 04:10 PM']The rhythm guitarist in my blues band (experienced guy, been playing 30+ years) went to see Wilko Johnson last Friday (a band I've seen MANY times, of course) and sent me an email over the weekend.

He reckons their bass player is really good and I should check him out. He thinks the guy's name is Norman something, and apparently he used to play with The Blockheads.

I'm not making this up.

I nearly replied that I'd just heard of a blues guitarist called Joe Satchmo or something who's allegedly quite good, too.

Or maybe it was Eric Clappedout.[/quote]

Ha ha We are special, there's no doubt :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='348879' date='Dec 8 2008, 06:00 PM']"Weird, that's not how I "heard" it, just goes to show.
[b]In fact while it's a nice bumbling along bassline, it doesn't really drive the track[/b],
... sounds to me like it's keys and guitar that drive it along."[/quote]
Excuse me, but what a pair of cocks, kill them. f***, lets have a whip round and I'll come and do it for you.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='349978' date='Dec 9 2008, 05:36 PM']Excuse me, but what a pair of cocks, kill them. f***, lets have a whip round and I'll come and do it for you.[/quote]
Let's just agree now what to do with any excess funds after the deed is done... :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='348879' date='Dec 8 2008, 06:00 PM']Here's what one said after I sent them the youtube of MarloweDK playing it

"Weird, that's not how I "heard" it, just goes to show.
[b]In fact while it's a nice bumbling along bassline, it doesn't really drive the track[/b],
... sounds to me like it's keys and guitar that drive it along."

I guess they are not bassplayers :)
I just just hope it goes down really well on stage :huh:[/quote]

Oh dear. Noone in my band makes stupid comments like that. Tell them to do the song without you and see how well it goes down.