Why become a member? ×

NBD at last!

Bobthedog

Well after a couple of years looking I have finally settled on a new bass. I went to Bass Direct and spent time on three basses: Roscoe Century Standard Plus, Sandberg VS5 Masterpiece and a Dingwall AB1 5/3 with Super Fatty pickups. I came away with this:

IMG_0654.jpg

Let's face it, everyone has to own a bright purple bass at some time! Very happy here for now.

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Looks mint! Would love to give it a go, only tried the Ibanez fanned frets and can't say they were great but heard a lot about these. 

Thank you. I p/exched a Dingwall Combustion V which I could not get on with, even after a couple of years. This is tonally a different brute and so far (honeymoon period etc) I love it. Very dark but with a huge spread of flavour through the tone control 

5 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

I think this one belonged to @Kev ??

It does not appear to have been Kev;'s his was only two pickups and possibly with a Glock pre amp. There have been a number of purple ones for sale here, so possibly someone here owned it though.

Edited by Bobthedog

2 hours ago, Dazed said:

That did catch my eye too but I just couldn’t live with the colour. 

Congratulations! Is there much difference between it and the combustion you had?

The fit etc is pretty much the same but there is a massive difference in terms of tone. This is much warmer / old school but also the available tonal variation is much broader than on the Combustion. I mainly play blues and some slow jazz and this just works. Re the colour, obviously personal choice but ever since I saw a Lee Sklar in this "Cadbury's" purple, I always wanted one. Now I have the colour and tone at the same time!

Another forum has quizzed my pick ups and does not  think they are Super Fattys, but FDVs or FD3s, however, so I have just eMailed Dingwall with the serial number to find out (I was actually asking for the original string type / sizes but threw that question in too)

Edited by Bobthedog

1 hour ago, Bobthedog said:

The fit etc is pretty much the same but there is a massive difference in terms of tone. This is much warmer / old school but also the available tonal variation is much broader than on the Combustion. I mainly play blues and some slow jazz and this just works. Re the colour, obviously personal choice but ever since I saw a Lee Sklar in this "Cadbury's" purple, I always wanted one. Now I have the colour and tone at the same time!

Another forum has quizzed my pick ups and does not  think they are Super Fattys, but FDVs or FD3s, however, so I have just eMailed Dingwall with the serial number to find out (I was actually asking for the original string type / sizes but threw that question in too)

Ah, yes! I saw this over on the Dingwall megathread. A lovely beast - congrats. I really must do a NBD thread for my newly acquired Super P...

• Like 2

Are my eyes playing up, but it seems to me that those frets haven't been put on straight? Must be the camera angle. You'd have thought they would manage to use a decent ruler for the amount of money that thing cost?

Hmmm... just checked it seems the fingers on my hands are a bit splayed too 😂

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Are my eyes playing up, but it seems to me that those frets haven't been put on straight? Must be the camera angle. You'd have thought they would manage to use a decent ruler for the amount of money that thing cost?

Hmmm... just checked it seems the fingers on my hands are a bit splayed too 😂

It is actually a trick caused by perspective. The neck has a really nasty twist in it and is approx 6" wide! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

Question is now answered. These are the new shape Super Fatties 2. It even states it on the top left corner of the PUs.