Ibanez UB804 Upswing EUB

Mr Bassman

Hey thanks guys 👍that’s really very helpful.  Yes I’m using the original strings and your comment about settling in is true.

Not liking the round wound original strings on my Rickenbacker bass (much too twangy for jazz and church situations) I changed them for Tomastik infeld flats which were good straight out of the packet and they have just improved with age. 

I’m so liking the UB, the Rick might have to get sold (We’ll see !!)  

Cheers 

Jimmy

One more thing!

Has anyone removed the back cover yet?  It’s just there is something loose, rattling around. Everything works and I only discovered it when showing my wife how it breaks down  into it’s bag. 

Edited by JimmyN2

We had our rehearsal/practice yesterday and the others all thought the UB804 was “fantastic” in looks and sound. To them it sounded like a double bass!!

Everyone happy. Now I’ve got to decide if I sell my leftie Rick4003, because I can’t see when I’ll need it again. 
Thanks again for your help, guys. 👍👍

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just resurrecting this thread again, as I'm getting more & more tempted to get myself an Ibanez Upswing....
I dithered when one came up here on BC recently, and am now kicking myself.
To be fair, I have been trying to de-clutter and sell some basses & other gear - so perhaps I shouldn't kick too hard? ;) 

Just wondering whether anyone else has recently acquired one of these, and what their thoughts are?
Do you find they sound more DB-like than many other EUB's?
I've watched quite a few YouTube videos, and sometimes it does sound more like an acoustic DB, other times it doesn't.... this will depend on many factors, of course.

On 30/06/2021 at 21:43, Marc S said:

Just resurrecting this thread again, as I'm getting more & more tempted to get myself an Ibanez Upswing....
To be fair, I have been trying to de-clutter and sell some basses & other gear - so perhaps I shouldn't kick too hard? ;) 

Just wondering whether anyone else has recently acquired one of these, and what their thoughts are?
I've watched quite a few YouTube videos, and sometimes it does sound more like an acoustic DB, other times it doesn't.... this will depend on many factors, of course.

I can make mine sound real close to my upright acoustic. LaBella black nylon tapewounds and a Nordy NinoMute do the trick. If I remove the mute I can get it to sound like a fretless BG. I don't much like the factory supplied strings (DÁddario Chromes). Too metallic and snarly.

• Thanks 1

On 30/06/2021 at 10:43, Marc S said:

I can’t recommend the Ibanez UB840 highly enough. It’s brilliant for a bass guitar player who wants to look and sound authentic in a jazz setting.  I use a Markbass CMD 121P with it but tend to have the bass (on the amp) cut back a bit.  The object is to be heard without being loud, amongst two saxes, electric piano and drums and I’ve found less bass-boom works better.  This particular upright also has each string with it’s own piezo pickup in it’s individual bridge, which has allowed me to swop the strings round - I am an unashamed lefty.  I like the original strings and believe your playing style makes a huge difference to the sound you get.

Having it’s own stand, rather than being an unsupported stick, is extremely useful in gig situation and the price is just insane - what’s not to like.

😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They look really nice, and I can see the attraction of the smaller size relative to full-scale EUBs. Any DB-players out there - do you find that the shorter scale and lower tension means that if you "dig in" too hard then the Upswing can't really handle it? I'm not saying that you *have* to dig in to get a DB experience, but there are times on DB when doing so is the right thing to do....

Edited by tinyd

I have removed the nylon tapewounds and installed an old well-worn in set of TI Jazz Flats off my Fender Jazz bass. Wow! They speak with more authority than the original Chromes and the tapes. Do they sound like an acoustic bass? No. Do I care? No. I have an acoustic bass for jazz and rockabilly gigs. The UB804 is just the beez kneez for my blues, americana and latin/gypsy gigs.

Tinyd: I play a lot lighter on the Upswing than I do on the acoustic. It's a natural thing for me as the Upswing doesn't actually physically allow me to "dig in."

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2019 at 13:22, Mr Bassman said:

Another update.

I really like Labella 760N black nylons on my fretless basses so tried a set on the Ibanez. They were nice to play but sounded too much like a bass guitar so went for some Daddario ETB92 Tapewounds. What a difference! Less sustain with nice sound. Looking forward to trying them on a couple of gigs next weekend.

Hi again Mr Bassman.

How do the D'Addario tapewounds bow? - not that I play much with a bow.... Still. But I keep promising myself that one day, when I have more time, I will play & practice more with a bow.....

So I don't want strings that aren't suitable for bowing.

Thanks for your thoughts again good sir 😊