Why become a member? ×

New acquisition has assigned my other basses to the bin

Guest MoJo

Being a big fan of the Yamaha BB range, I couldn't help myself when Terry (loudandclear) posted his BB1500a on the for sale forum. I took it to it's first proper gig tonight along with it's stable-mate, the BB415. Looking at the two basses, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference except the extra string on the 415. The BB1500a however is active, with a 3-band EQ and has jazz style pick-ups. The 415 is passive with a P/J pick-up configuration.

I started the night with the 1500a, EQ on the bass and my amp completely flat and got a great sound on stage and through the F.O.H. Following the first set, I swapped basses, adjusting the input gain to suit the passive 415. The band launched into 'Sweet Soul Music'.....shock horror, where had all the warmth, the drive and the punch gone? I limped through the song and quickly swapped back before we tackled 'Soul Man'.

I can't believe there was so much difference between the two basses. I won't even be taking the 415 to next Saturday's gig which is a real shame as I've always rated it highly.

Has anyone else suffered this fate where one bass has made such an impression that the others seem inferior by comparison?

[quote]Has anyone else suffered this fate where one bass has made such an impression that the others seem inferior by comparison?[/quote]

Oh yes! I did a gig earlier in the year with my walnut Status S2 & new KingBass. Both excellent basses, but my S2 with the walnut tone block wiped the floor with the KingBass, which incidentally is on it's way to America this week to a new owner!

Glad you love your Yamaha BB1500. I love my Yamahas as well. Excellent basses :)

I said the other week how the Blueflower 54P reish has been keeping my other basses at home. It was meant to re my 73P which I've got over precious about but it's competing , and usually winning , with the Status as tool of choice.

I can't believe I'm saying this but the Shuker has been idle for months and I'm even wondering if it's days are numbered. Having said that it's a far more versatile and precise instrument and it'll probably back when the set changes next.

I've got an absolutely mint, as in brand spanking... BB1500A. (Thanks to BB2000) Whilst it certainly doesn't consign my other (10) basses to the 'bin' it's certainly got a great 'nasal' honk.

The one bass that could do the above it it had too would probably be my Darkstar/ACG/Warmoth. It is immense. I'm about to try a Warmoth fretless neck on it and I can't but think I'm going to miss it 'as it is' too much :huh:

Hmmm.... does anyone know if a Warmoth neck will fit an Allparts body? I may fit the Warmoth neck to my Jazzbastard/ACG instead and see how that goes.

Hmmm.....

On reflection - my Thumb is also immense, as are my Ric's and just about every bass I own. I have them all for good reason :)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='347815' date='Dec 7 2008, 12:53 PM']Hmmm.... does anyone know if a Warmoth neck will fit an Allparts body? I may fit the Warmoth neck to my Jazzbastard/ACG instead and see how that goes.[/quote]

The warmoth neck should fit the allparts body, both are standard fender sizes with regard to neck pocket sizes so you should be ok :) Don't quote me on that :huh:

When I picked up the Thumb basses they predictably obliterated the Streamer STD.

However, I'd always liked the STDs mellow take on the Warwick sound so I slapped a set of Thomastik flats and some Seymour Duncan electronics onto it - now it's a retro/dub-bass monster. Still gets played!

Edited by rjb

Sort of, I haven't put the Spector down since getting it and thought about moving the KSD on. Until I got it out for a full on slap session*, which the KSD won hands down. The 'Ray is just the 'Ray - that stays whatever.

* B-doink, b-doink, b-diddley doink, b-diddley-diddley-doink repeated 'till the wife told me I was scaring the baby.

I was lucky enough to pick up a '63 Precision in April and since then I haven't gigged with anything else. My poor Roscoe Beck IV is wondering what it's done wrong as that was my number 1 bass. The RB is still a fantastic instrument, but the P always turns people's heads with its punch and sweet tone and from a playability POV it's a dream.

[quote name='lozbass' post='347755' date='Dec 7 2008, 10:47 AM']I came across an Alembic Series II a few months ago...my other basses are certainly not 'in the bin', but there's an absolute chasm in tone and playability[/quote]

You tell 'em Loz. :)

My Alembic Triple O and my 72 Ric 4001. Whenever I pick them up I wonder why I bother playing anything else (well in the Alembic's case it may be something to do with the weight...). The Ric particularly has the best tone I've ever heard, and completely dusts any of the other hundred or so Rics I've played over the years, as well as everything else. Took it to the Gallery this year, played everything and the only thing that came close was a Sei Millennium. Having said that, my mate (who bought my old 76) doesn't like it.....

[quote name='ezbass' post='348412' date='Dec 8 2008, 10:43 AM']I was lucky enough to pick up a '63 Precision in April and since then I haven't gigged with anything else. My poor Roscoe Beck IV is wondering what it's done wrong as that was my number 1 bass. The RB is still a fantastic instrument, but the P always turns people's heads with its punch and sweet tone and from a playability POV it's a dream.[/quote]

Ditto for my '62 Precision - nothing else can touch it...

I've owned many basses, and thought, "I'm never going to sell this one" - then promptly gone and sold them, including a BB2000 (I was never that attached to the BB5000A though). But the original Broad Bass, neck through design, is a classic, so I can understand you enjoying both older and newer variations on the BB theme.

As for the one I can never put down, Atlansia Stealth - it's just so wrong it's right.