Why become a member? ×

Wilkes

fleabag

I went to visit him, some years ago - to show him a bass he had made.

In a nutshell, a great bloke. Was with him for about an hour and he was very happy to have a chat, whilst sipping on our tea. There was dust everywhere and various things that were mid construction but when you saw the finished article - quality.

Doug's workshop and my bass.

Cheers. : )

• Like 2

On 12/02/2019 at 21:44, fleabag said:

I saw that earlier this evening and wondered if it was my old one - it had originally been lacquered but the lacquer was dreadfully cracked and I stripped it off, but I didn't make a terribly good job of finishing it. Chopped it in at Musical Exchange (for any familiar with Birmingham last millennium), can't remember what for. If it is my old one, the body's been cleaned up and properly treated.

Oh yes, and the body is inconveniently wide so it's hard to find a gig bag or case to fit it.

Edited by tauzero
Body size afterthought

They're slap plates. They are brass, set into the fingerboard, with a microphone set under them which picks up the percussive sound from them and adds it to the pickup output. I think the mini toggle switch turned that on and off. Only really useful for those weirdoes that play slap.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have one of these fretless basses, almost the same as this but with an ebony board

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass-new-arrival/products/wilkes-bass-custom-fretless

I just searched the forums for Wilkes to see if there is any info out there as I am thinking of selling. Anyone have any idea what the going rate would be for this bass? It is a lovely feeling bass to play. I guess it is on the heavy side

I live quite close to Dougs workshop and he does any work I need on my guitars and basses

recently did a preamp in my SB325

set up the floyd on my charvel

and loads of setups, fret dressing, minor electrical work