Why become a member? ×

Switching from 4 to 5 and back fried my brain

Guest MoJo

There are two different problems at work here.

Firstly almost all cheap 5-string basses are not very good, and secondly this apparent need to swap between 5-string and 4-string basses.

I suppose I was lucky, my first 5-string bass was a vastly superior instrument to my 4-string so I never saw any need to go back, and my subsequent 5-string basses have all been even better. I did have a spell when I was getting into fretless bass where I played fretless 4-strings and fretted 5-strings, but this was because I hadn't yet found a fretless 5-string as good as my fretted ones and because I was playing very different things depend on whether I was using the fretless or fretted bass. As soon as I found a properly good fretless 5-string bass I sold all the fretless 4s.

Also I've always played lots of different stringed instruments with different numbers of strings, string spacing, tunings and scale lengths, so now don't really have that much problem swapping between instruments. I currently play in two bands, one using a 5-string bass tuned B-G and the other using a Bass VI tuned E A D G C E. 

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Also I've always played lots of different stringed instruments with different numbers of strings, string spacing, tunings and scale lengths, so now don't really have that much problem swapping between instruments. I currently play in two bands, one using a 5-string bass tuned B-G and the other using a Bass VI tuned E A D G C E. 

In my old ceilidh band, I'd play NS WAV-4 (42" scale length), Warwick Thumb fretless, and Ashbory Mk I (18" scale length). I just took all three to gigs and played whichever one took my fancy at any one time, swapping between them as I pleased (there's plenty of time to swap instruments in a ceilidh band as the caller explains the next dance).

After years of only playing 5's in bands and leaving my 4 string looking very lonely and unloved on the guitar rack, I recently did a couple of gigs where I had to bring the 4 out of retirement.  Most of the set was de-tuned (on the guitars) to C - so actually tuned up a semi tone on the standard 5 sting, with a couple of songs in standard (E) tuning.  Had they given in to my suggestion of "well, it's already in C, why not B?" then it would have been fine, but rather than having to re-tune the bass for two songs, and then back again, I brought my 4 string along.

It was a little odd for a while, but I think mostly because the basses (Warwick Streamer and Rickenbacker 4001) are so different to play in terms of right hand positioning and feel of the neck, and perhaps also because I'd been playing the songs on the re-tuned 5 string for a while, and through the mistake of me thinking that I didn't need to ordering the strings on the 4 as I had an old set that I could use which were slightly lighter than those on the 5.  But it wasn't a huge stretch, more that it felt a bit odd for longer than I was expecting. 

I suspect it's was probably more of an off day for the OP

I'm a six man and I do have a reason.  I sometimes play blues, sometimes funk and sometimes even fiddle with a bit of classical.  Plus I like going up the dusty end.  So it makes huge sense to have just one bass that can do everything.  I have spent several months doing SD's 6 month accelerator course on the Hohner B Bass VI and recently went back to the P bass.  Nightmare.  Could not get on it with it. String spacing and muscle memory clashes.  So the P bass is sold and I'm sticking with the six.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, casapete said:

But 5 string basses lighter than my 4 string? Unlikely I think, but welcome any suggestions. ( For reference, my 4 string Fender weighs a tad under 7lbs, my Dano probably around 6lbs)

My sixer is just 9.2 lbs inc strap.  Nice meaty dangle, but doesn't feel heavy. 

5 hours ago, casapete said:

But 5 string basses lighter than my 4 string? Unlikely I think, but welcome any suggestions. ( For reference, my 4 string Fender weighs a tad under 7lbs, my Dano probably around 6lbs)

I actually have a couple of 7lb 5ers, Pete.  A Fender MB-5 and a Yamaha BX-5.  Both are serious instruments, too.  But, of course the 4 string variant of each would be even lighter.

But yes, overwhelmingly, 5ers tend to be heavier -  almost by definition because of the extra stuff the additional string generates.  When I was on the lookout for a lightweight 5 String Precision I simply couldn't find one - had to have one made.     

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I actually have a couple of 7lb 5ers, Pete.  A Fender MB-5 and a Yamaha BX-5.  Both are serious instruments, too.  But, of course the 4 string variant of each would be even lighter.

Another bass I need to prise from your hands then Paul!!

Actually thought after I'd posted earlier - are the Hohner B2V basses light?

26 minutes ago, casapete said:

Another bass I need to prise from your hands then Paul!!

Actually thought after I'd posted earlier - are the Hohner B2V basses light?

<wanders into kitchen> 3.4kg. That's the AV, so subtract a few grams for the preamp.

5 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

I suspect it's was probably more of an off day for the OP

I hope so. After the initial knee-jerk reaction, I've decided to hold onto it for a while and give it another run out at the next gig

2 hours ago, MoJo said:

I hope so. After the initial knee-jerk reaction, I've decided to hold onto it for a while and give it another run out at the next gig

Good man. By the time you get to my age, you'll probably have it sussed out 😁