Why become a member? ×

Bunch of slappers!

operative451

25 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Slap bass playing needs to lock in supertight with the drums and is best heard in funk, where BPM average 90 -115. To my ears slapping at speeds of 130 BPM goes against  what slap was originally meant for; getting down and dirty to on the dancefloor! That superfast way of playing is as self indulgent, unlistenable and ultimately pointless as guitar shredding.

I enjoy guitar shredding quite often 😂

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

Can you slap with a pick? 😂

You certainly can play funky, which sounds like slap with a pick. Listen to Simple Minds Derek Forbes playing. He used a pick and sounds like he is slapping and popping. 

19 minutes ago, ubit said:

You certainly can play funky, which sounds like slap with a pick. Listen to Simple Minds Derek Forbes playing. He used a pick and sounds like he is slapping and popping. 

9 minutes ago, Cato said:

Bobby Vega gets damned close.

It's all about the ghost notes.

I was taking the P155 a bit, in jest of course...I now Stan£ corrected! 👍🏻

4 hours ago, operative451 said:

I think i'm going to do an instagram vid with my bass strap as long as it will go, all on the low E and with a pick... And distortion.. :D

I came across this yesterday, completely by accident, and I thought you might like it (bass kicks in at 1:14):

Not slap, but I could imaging a few overdriven  "pops" added in there... it reminds me of the original 1980s stuff I used to play in the 1990s - which probably isn't a good sign. 😁

57 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I came across this yesterday, completely by accident, and I thought you might like it (bass kicks in at 1:14):

Not slap, but I could imaging a few overdriven  "pops" added in there... it reminds me of the original 1980s stuff I used to play in the 1990s - which probably isn't a good sign. 😁

Ooh yeah,  I like them!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I love Savages!  Saw them at a festival in Bogota, just wandered into the second stage tent as they came on stage - stunning live