Why become a member? ×

class d power amp

Marc Day

There's a vast choice available Marc! 

To make our suggestions as helpful / useful as possible, could you maybe let us know:

a) your budget?

b) what you're going to be using it for e.g. loud band with a drummer / "bedroom" only etc?

c) what genre music you're into / do you have a particular sound that you're aiming for?

Hi Al(hope that's right)

Quite right about the choices, which is part of my problem. I bought virtually all my stuff around the time it came out, so it's all old, but because it's good I've never wanted to change any of it before now.. Also, I've had a lay off for a few years and have lost touch with the tech side of things. Here's some more info. I'll include the things I don't want, which is probably just as useful.

This amp would be to replace the TE RA250 I have now. More power would be fine, but I wouldn't want less. I like my sound and want to stay as close to it as possible. This might rule out valves. I use an MP11 pre through an old ART effects processor to give me that, so I'm looking for a true sound from the power amp. From the little I've learned, class D's seem to be the way to go for that.

Basically, I'm looking for a smaller/lighter power amp to do the same thing (or better) as the RA250. I use one Hartke XL 4 x 10 cab and have no plans to add more, so it doesn't need to be stereo, but it looks like most are.

As for budget, this may sound vague, but it's more about what I'm prepared to pay than what I can. However, the sky is not the limit. As long as it does the job, the less it costs the better. As an idea, I'd look at anything up to £1000.

It's definitely for band use rather than bedroom. I learned to play back in the early 80's and played with working bands ever since. The reason I'm getting into it again is that I miss that aspect too much to stop altogether.  

What I like and have always played is rock based. Big fan of both Rush and Killing Joke, but like loads of others stuff.  I already found and like my sound, so changing it as little as possible is my priority. Unless something else is required, my sound is usually similar to Geddy Lee's.

I expect to be playing and gigging with a rock band in mostly pub type venues, so something to handle that.

Sorry for the life story, but at least you know what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.

Marc.

You won't necessarily need class D. Unless weight is important, a regular (class A/B) PA power amp will do the job and be neutral/uncoloured. They can be had for much less than you are looking to spend (used, they can be bought for surprisingly little, even premium brands). You'll need one you can bridge if you don't wish to run stereo, but many will do that. It might also be worth looking at getting a class D bass head and using it as a power amp. Many have a switchable input that will accept line level signals, so you can set the eq flat and run your existing pre into it. Alternatively, if it has an effects loop or a power amp in, you can drive it via that or the effects return. Definitely try before you buy.

5 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

You won't necessarily need class D. Unless weight is important, a regular (class A/B) PA power amp will do the job and be neutral/uncoloured. They can be had for much less than you are looking to spend (used, they can be bought for surprisingly little, even premium brands). You'll need one you can bridge if you don't wish to run stereo, but many will do that. It might also be worth looking at getting a class D bass head and using it as a power amp. Many have a switchable input that will accept line level signals, so you can set the eq flat and run your existing pre into it. Alternatively, if it has an effects loop or a power amp in, you can drive it via that or the effects return. Definitely try before you buy.

Thanks, I Appreciate the input, especially as it kind of confirms what I first thought and had heard from a few others. With the RA250 being big (4 units) as well as heavy, both are a bit of an issue. Heavy is far less of a problem if it isn't big and awkward as well, as it is now.

I had considered simply using a class D bass head as a power amp as a waste of money, but thinking about it in another way, that also has it's merits. It couldn't hurt to have some backup ready if the MP11 decided to die at the wrong moment.

Knowing more about what my options are is a great help, so thanks again for that. The next thing is where to look. Finding used stuff is just a question of shopping around, but I've struggled to find a store that offers many choices for buying new. Can you suggest anyone that carries a decent range?

Happy new year!

Marc.

Morning Marc and a happy new year to you also! 

Geddy Lee - awesome!

I had a similar journey a while back looking for a great amp head - details on this thread; you'll find plenty of really good recommendations on there.

I'm going to cut to the chase and give you my shortlist of two excellent class D amps that I believe are going to hit the marc (excuse the pun) for what you've shared above, both of which have a strong following from fellow BCers:

• DG M900 - review be me here I've had this just over a year (managed to source one in very good condition from the FS section) and am starting to use it with "just a bit of dirt" always on to provide additional tonal complexity to get something akin to a valve preamp;
  • Genzler Magellan GM800 - reviewed by Osiris here

See if you can get to try either / both of the above in store and if you can source a vgc one from the FS to buy even better. 

My all time favourite is still the Mesa M6 Carbine (it's a tube preamp and class A/B poweramp), but they don't make these anymore. I'm holding onto mine! 

At the budget end a few BCers have got themselves a:

Hope that's helpful and happy hunting! 

Edited by Al Krow

GSS Sumo 600 or 1000 if you want small light D class power amp only. Nothing wrong with the suggestions above, but if you want to keep using the TE the GSS route (there are other options, I just happen to own a Sumo) is a good route to take.

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 03:39, Marc Day said:

Thanks, I Appreciate the input, especially as it kind of confirms what I first thought and had heard from a few others. With the RA250 being big (4 units) as well as heavy, both are a bit of an issue. Heavy is far less of a problem if it isn't big and awkward as well, as it is now.

I had considered simply using a class D bass head as a power amp as a waste of money, but thinking about it in another way, that also has it's merits. It couldn't hurt to have some backup ready if the MP11 decided to die at the wrong moment.

Knowing more about what my options are is a great help, so thanks again for that. The next thing is where to look. Finding used stuff is just a question of shopping around, but I've struggled to find a store that offers many choices for buying new. Can you suggest anyone that carries a decent range?

Happy new year!

Marc.

I know I'm being predictable, but if you're wanting to look at new bass heads, Bass Direct has pretty wide stock and carries virtually all of the better brands. 

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I know I'm being predictable, but if you're wanting to look at new bass heads, Bass Direct has pretty wide stock and carries virtually all of the better brands. 

Maybe not predictable so much as missing the point a bit. I'm not really looking for a bass head, but rather a power amp to run with my MP11. I have spoken to Bass Direct and frankly they weren't much help. I was clear about what I was looking for and why, but in spite of this they were more interested trying to sell me a whole new rig, stating that what I'm using is too old tech. At the risk of sounding cynical, they would say that wouldn't they.

Apologies. I thought you were asking about heads. For power amps, I would look at those places that sell PA. For class D, the industry standard makes include Lab Gruppen (they also make for other brands, including Martin Audio and L-Acoustic), Camco, Fohhn, QSC and others. Prices are often quite a lot over your budget, however (hence the suggestion to look at Class D heads and use as a power amp). The suggestion above to use a Quilter Bass Block is a good one (Quilter is the 'Q' in QSC). It's simple (so you won't be spending a lot on a pre-amp that duplicates what you have) and plenty powerful. Be a bit wary of bargain priced Lab Gruppens and others. Because prices of good class D power amps are so high,  there are Chinese fakes about, so it can be risky buying from other than an authorised dealer or from eBay. If looking at used, ask to see some kind of documentation - original receipt, etc.

Edited by Dan Dare

I'm confused...you need MORE power than your Trace Elliot 250 can provide?

I have to ask - What sort of venues are you expecting to play? I have a AH500 which I've never used in anger and a AH150 which shakes my windows at 3 gain and 3 volume. I don't think I've ever heard anybody complain their classic Trace Elliot lacked power.

On 02/01/2019 at 20:27, TheGreek said:

I'm confused...you need MORE power than your Trace Elliot 250 can provide?

I have to ask - What sort of venues are you expecting to play? I have a AH500 which I've never used in anger and a AH150 which shakes my windows at 3 gain and 3 volume. I don't think I've ever heard anybody complain their classic Trace Elliot lacked power.

I'll explain. I'm using an MP11 pre and an RA250 power amp. I'm not talking about much more than pub type venues and the RA250 is easily powerful enough to handle it, my only complaint is that it's just too big and heavy. I'm looking for a rack mounted power amp as powerful (maybe a little more) in a smaller package to basically do the same job.