Why become a member? ×

NBD! Spector Content ;)

Bassislife16

1 minute ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Really nice score mate. You won't be disappointed. I'm a recent convert to Spector Euro basses.

I’ve had one prior, a few years back and loved it, although the colour wasn’t really me, (deep red) it actually dulled the flame on the top which was a shame, you couldn’t really see the figuring.

But not with this one! Plus as a bonus the Mrs says “natural wood coloured basses suit you more because you’re a wood nut” 

Good enough excuse for me!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

I agree! Some people would consider me silly trading a USA made instrument for Czech made but it’s never been something that’s bothered me.

They may well do but they'd be overlooking the stunning Czech Euro basses. EBMM make a fine product, if a little middle-of-the-road and unexciting. However, the Spector Euro is an entirely different animal but I think, comparable in quality to a Musicman. At least their G string is as loud as the others! :laugh1:

I must also commend the quality control at the Czech facility. It's always excellent. This was even more impressive a few years ago, when their basses cost about 60% of what they list for today. I can remember when I first played a Euro Spector, at Sound Control in Newcastle when they got two NT models in for £1000 each. They were really excellent and the novelty of playing an EMG P/J equipped bass was great. I was very much into Victor Wooten's 'A Show of Hands' tone and those Spectors just nailed that.

• Like 2

I'd put my Czech Spector up there with one of (if not, the THE) best basses I've ever played, to the point where I will probably sell all my other basses to fund another Spector. The playability alone does it for me, but the sound, right out of the box is just spot on for what I play. I love 'em.

• Like 1

Cheers - is there much in the way of difference between the USA Custom and the Euro line up in terms of quality / price? 

If they are comparable, sounds like I'd just need to request the Aggie 3 band EQ to be dropped in and I'd be there in terms of: 

- P/J, neck through, 3 band EQ, 5er and a Spector to boot!

(I'm not sure there is anything else that ticks all these boxes from any other makers?) 

To be honest, I think you'd be better off contacting Spector customer services directly for availability of what you're after. They'd be able to give you a definite answer and possibly a price range (I'd imagine it won't be cheap though).

In terms of price and quality, just going from the one I own and others I've looked at, the level of craftsmanship on the Euro models is superb. Real top notch woods and flawless construction. In terms of pricing, they're slightly cheaper than the USA models and although I've never played a USA model, but looking at some of the woods they use on the USA  models, I'd imagine the price difference is purely aesthetics.

• Like 1

Good idea - I've dropped them a line and will see what they say. 

Also be interesting to see what models are released by Yamaha and Ibanez in NAMM 2019. 

The Yamaha BB 735A comes close to ticking all the boxes (other than being neck through) and I believe BB 5000A does tick all the boxes but is rarer than hen's teeth! 😎 

If a bespoke Spector is going to be 4 x the price of the 735A, I may just need to do the sensible thing, particularly as a bespoke Spector won't be something I can try before I buy and will likely have a very limited market if it proves not to be for me... 

12 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Not seen a Euro P/J setup before (I'm happy to be proved wrong here), they're usually twin humbuckers with EMG pickups. I'd imagine if you asked nicely you'd be able to get one made but it wouldn't be cheap.

I know that there a USA customs with a PJ setup:

imageuploadedbytalkbass1408810732-688309

TBH I've seen more Euro 4LXs with the reverse P / J pickup set om the 4-string side.  Maybe for 5ers its soapbars.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just got a quote back for a custom Spector P/J 5er and in matt it would be around £5,000 and for gloss finish £6,000 

Forgoing a neck through on a Yamaha BB 735A at  "just" £725 suddenly seems very attractive 😂

Looks like the abstinence thread has gone out the window Mr Krow. 😂😂😂😂

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just got a quote back for a custom Spector P/J 5er and in matt it would be around £5,000 and for gloss finish £6,000  

Forgoing a neck through on a Yamaha BB 735A at  "just" £725 suddenly seems very attractive 😂

Oh my holy Jesus ... 😂

I knew that they'd be expensive but yeah ... that's pretty steep!

19 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Oh my holy Jesus ... 😂

I knew that they'd be expensive but yeah ... that's pretty steep!

Now if Yamaha would only deign to offer their 735As in vintage white they could sell me one tomorrow! Let's see if they extend the range of colours on offer from their current measly two this coming year..