Why become a member? ×

Video killed the radio star - the original...

anzoid

13 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Here's the full, sordid tale...

Thank you!

Edit to say - read the whole thread - wow, quite an event - I was away the time this came up so missed it live, but a great read! And getting to replace Mr Horn for the bass bit - sweet :D

Edited by anzoid
  • Like 1

The penny has just dropped (thanks to Google) that I used to work with Bruce Woolley's nephew.  He used to tell me about his uncle who was a songwriter, and had some amazing stories - mostly from the Grace Jones years.

the best one was being woken up by Ms Jones in the wee small hours, demanding that she should have his hotel room because she'd set fire to hers and couldn't sleep in it any more

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Haha 5

I've played this song a couple of times at an annual private garden party with Bruce Woolley on the vocals..... always fun :)

Having just listened to his original version I must say I much prefer it too!

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2

On 30/10/2018 at 09:43, dmccombe7 said:

The more i listen to the original the more i like it over the Buggles version. Its more musical to me. More modern sounding too.

How bizarre - I just listened to them both and reached exactly the opposite conclusion!

On the Woolley version, that guitar sound and the signature lick he plays at the end of each phrase are totally late 70s ... that sound and that lick were everywhere in the music of the time, and to me that version sounds really dated.

On t'other hand, the Buggles version was uber-modern in 1979 partly because there was no guitar at all, and it still sounds strong today.

• Like 6

On 30/10/2018 at 08:51, anzoid said:

Via this article from the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/30/the-buggles-how-we-made-video-killed-the-radio-star

You can either have the original. According to Geoff Downes: "Bruce [Woolley] tried to stop our version of Video and released his more straightforward version [as Bruce Woolley & the Camera Club] before ours, but it wasn’t a hit."

Or the copy:

Personally, kinda liking the Bruce Woolley version, though the Buggles one is still the winner.

So: who knew the Bruce Woolley version even existed, and can we talk about Trevor Horn's bass playing...?

The bass on the Buggles version stands out to me. Great sound too.