Why become a member? ×

Video killed the radio star - the original...

anzoid

Via this article from the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/30/the-buggles-how-we-made-video-killed-the-radio-star

You can either have the original. According to Geoff Downes: "Bruce [Woolley] tried to stop our version of Video and released his more straightforward version [as Bruce Woolley & the Camera Club] before ours, but it wasn’t a hit."

Or the copy:

Personally, kinda liking the Bruce Woolley version, though the Buggles one is still the winner.

So: who knew the Bruce Woolley version even existed, and can we talk about Trevor Horn's bass playing...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

The more i listen to the original the more i like it over the Buggles version. Its more musical to me. More modern sounding too.

The Buggles version is all about the production, which is very much of its time. The Bruce Woolley one is just a simple guitar based pop song with less to date it.

BTW the Dollar track linked to above was also co-written by Bruce Woolley.

47 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The English Garden album is a tremendous thing.  Matthew Seligman on bass too.  Win win.  I still have my B Woolley Minded badge somewhere too.

And Thomas Dolby on Keyboards.

Check out the Radio Science Orchestra, for Theremin-y goodness.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

my favourite version - it's the B-side on one of their singles...can't remember which

Direct, chunky, nice twist on the chorus harmony vocals - I like that a lot. More so than the Woolley version which made me feel slightly seasick, dunno why, maybe it was the bassline or the arrangement :/

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

@wateroftyne - We're not worthy, we're not worthy! 

😀

Indeed!!!

@wateroftyne - can you tell us more? (guessing it's you on bass? and if so, you look like you're having the time of your life... apologies if I misidentified you and you were one of the backing singers or the sax player... :D )

2 hours ago, anzoid said:

Indeed!!!

@wateroftyne - can you tell us more? (guessing it's you on bass? and if so, you look like you're having the time of your life... apologies if I misidentified you and you were one of the backing singers or the sax player... :D )

Here's the full, sordid tale...

• Like 2