Why become a member? ×

UPS - Yet Another Courier Thread

discreet

UPS - Yet Another Courier Thread

Here's yet another topic about couriers, once again featuring UPS. I sold a P Bass to a certain Mr D Blair of this parish (Kodiakblair) and arranged delivery through UPS (despite some recent hair-raising and negative threads about couriers on BC recently). UPS duly turned up when they said they would, collected the bass from me down here in this London, England, the intention being to deliver it safely and in good time to Mr Blair up there in that Falkirk, Scotland.

I get 'courier anxiety' at the best of times - particularly when sending or receiving bass guitars - and spent the usual amount of time checking the online tracking information (about twelve times an hour) - while also frequently checking the tracking info for a second P Bass that had been despatched to me in London from Thomann in Germany - UPS taking care of things once the item is in the UK. Thus did the hours pass, me going through various scenarios in my head, along the lines of 'aliens stole the instruments for their "Sounds of Earth" collection - not covered by insurance', or 'the instruments were hijacked by a pack of pigs, have been partly eaten and they stink - not covered by insurance', or 'tramps intercepted the instruments and burnt them at their 'meths and self-abuse' brazier party at the council tip - not covered by insurance' ...and so on and so forth... :/

Anyway, long story short - Mr Blair's bass arrived safely the day after collection, and in perfect condition. My bass arrived safely from Thomann in two days, and in perfect condition. No damage and no word of interference from aliens, pigs or tramps. So let's hear it for UPS, who did a really sterling job! Hooray! :party:

However... if YOU can personally deliver a bass from London to Falkirk in 24 hours for £24, or better still, deliver a bass from Bergebrach in Bavaria, Germany to London, UK in 48 hours for €10, please let me know - I may have some work for you... ;)

UPS.jpg

Edited by discreet
Spelling, Syntax
  • Like 3

When things go right it's brilliant. Couriers are good. I think my thread highlights that when something went slightly wrong, it snowballed in to an utterly horrible situation that only the CEO's management team were able to fix. My problem with the whole episode wasn't so much that they'd misplaced the bass in the beginning, it was the attitude both I and Wunjo were given from all staff at UPS (who weren't in the previously mentioned management area). They may have just told us to "F*** OFF!" and that would have been less offensive.

Thing is, when the service is going ok, you'd never know that this courier were so incredibly inept and incapable when the service broke down. They will never be held to account though and thats why we pay stupid money for insurance that we should have to add to each shipment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I've said before, my local driver is excellent - we have a set pattern - he makes a fuss of Shalla and knows when I take her out. He sets his delivery times around this. 

You can't hold the individual responsible for the failings of the organisation.

Glad this transaction went well...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheGreek said:

As I've said before, my local driver is excellent - we have a set pattern - he makes a fuss of Shalla and knows when I take her out. He sets his delivery times around this. 

You can't hold the individual responsible for the failings of the organisation.

Glad this transaction went well...

How many individuals need to be held responsible before the "organisation" fails a customer?

I can see the point your making, however I'm not going to hold my local driver responsible for something that did or didn't happen 200 miles away. It's all too easy to shout at the man in front of you just because he's the organisations representative. 

• Like 1