Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

6 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

image.thumb.png.dadfd9bca9e516d8aed3d476fdb3a41c.png

So with that in mind I really have to consider buying that gloss black Classic Euro5 that matches my white Classic  5. Please talk me out of that. Please 🙂

BTW, the photo only shows 4 strings. Where is the 5th? Or do they only put it on at the till? 🤪

10 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

BTW, the photo only shows 4 strings. Where is the 5th? Or do they only put it on at the till? 🤪

The photo is of the IH I missed buying (still on reverb as sold)

The Classic I'm eyeing is this:

image.thumb.png.716dbcfa0f6e0c300f99b3c4784573c3.png

To match this (shameless plug of a live pic of mine instead of generic stock photo - at least shows I actually use the thing 🙂 )

215A3418.thumb.jpg.379807d1c99c3f21a2e15d38999b4bd0.jpg

Edited by Paulhauser
my post makes more sense now
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

After some advice regarding a hardcase for my Spector LT5.

I need something that will survive being thrown into vans and going on planes and through airports.

The obvious option would be the fitted Spector hardcase which I can get on an artist deal but I'm also considering a Hiscox hard case too.

My main concern is the headstock really. In my fender C&G (?) Hardcase the neck doesn't lie flat in the groove and the angled headstock is taking all the weight of the bass which I fear is a bad thing! 

So wondering if anyone had experience of the Spector cases and that they are fitted so that the headstock isn't taking the weight and just general longevity of the cases?

Same goes for the Hiscox. Obviously they don't fit the exact shape of the Spector but you can put inserts in?

Any others I should consider?

Hi,

I really want to get a 4-string NS Dimension but I'm hesitating between the model with EMG/Darkglass or the Fishman one. As much as I know EMGs since I have a 5-string at home with this config, I don't know what to think of the other one. I have seen videos but I would like to have the opinion of someone who has already got their hands on it so if this is your case thank you in advance!

When I tried one with Fishmans it was OK but didn't have that Spector 'grind & grow;' on taop when I wanted it. The new one with EMGs does though! I went and bought one ;)

@Sebabib cant comment on the difference as I have yet to own a Dimension but one thing to consider is the modularity of the EMG 40s that the newer HP model has. Even if one is not really into modding basses it is very easy to exchange EMG pickups and some of the configs do make a substantial difference compared to the stock DCs. Not to say for the better because I love the DC's, but I have Spector basses where I replaced the originaly DCs for a different sound and as such I had great results. The combinations 40P/J or 40P/DC or CS comes to mind as well as the 40TWX.  (And the 4 string screams for a PJ setup 🙂 )

On 01/09/2022 at 00:33, lee650 said:

20220831_142650.jpg

20220831_171004.jpg

I've recently bought this lovely Euro 5 from Lee. I don't know why it's taken me so long to won a Spector, but it wasn't for the want of trying!

Really impressed with it. Ergonomically it's my most comfortable bass by quite some distance. There's a BIG downsizing of equipment coming one of these days, but this Spector is certainly safe!

• Like 1

Thank you for your response, I already have EMG 45DC on a 5-string multiscale. I tried other brands and came back to them. But be careful, on this type of instrument the EMG P does not necessarily align but the others work well and it's really easy to test with their connections.
In fact, I would naturally go for an HP since I mainly play metal or very angry rock but the versatile side of the Fishman Fluence intrigues me.
The “modern” voicing is close to the sound of EMG or not at all?

The easiest thing would be to find a store that has both models and test it but it's far from easy.

53 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

I've recently bought this lovely Euro 5 from Lee. I don't know why it's taken me so long to won a Spector, but it wasn't for the want of trying!

Really impressed with it. Ergonomically it's my most comfortable bass by quite some distance. There's a BIG downsizing of equipment coming one of these days, but this Spector is certainly safe!

Congratulations, great choice! I love my Euro5s.

Quite an entry to the worlsd of Spectors, you are in for a treat and if I didn't know from the ad about @lee650s wrist issues I would have said he made a mistake by selling it, but alas, no. 

(my first Spector was a NS-5CR which is the predecessor of the Euros and I'm hooked ever since)

Spector fans, in case you have not seen it over at No Treble check this out:

"The Spector custom shop team was on hand with some fine examples of their work. They also brought some prototypes for Doug Wimbish signature basses. The four and five-string models will be replicas of Wimbish’s own basses that he had customized by Stuart Spector many years ago. They have some unique features including an unusual volute shape, a super thin neck, and hot pickups."

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2024/01/28/namm-2024-bass-gear-day-3/ 

Spector-Basses-NAMM-2024-1200x900.thumb.webp.97bb42bb79aa36ae3bd075e16a724cb1.webp

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Congratulations, great choice! I love my Euro5s.

Quite an entry to the worlsd of Spectors, you are in for a treat and if I didn't know from the ad about @lee650s wrist issues I would have said he made a mistake by selling it, but alas, no. 

(my first Spector was a NS-5CR which is the predecessor of the Euros and I'm hooked ever since)

Thanks Paul... It has me rethinking everything I know about basses. Could lead to some drastic changes around here!!! If only Forte 5's were still a thing...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bigwan said:

If only Forte 5's were still a thing...

They pop up used from time to time, sometimes for real bargain like @Eldon Tyrells old one. 

It has to be said though that however much US models are desired ( I'm guilty, too) the Czech basses are extremely close in sound and feel if not in fancy tops.... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SloppyChops said:

Been looking at this and trying to justify to my wife why its a necessary expense...

Will this one have the push/pull for split coil tones?

Yes it does. However, expect a substantial volume drop when using the coil tap (EMG fixed that with the X series TW pickups) 

On 29/01/2024 at 17:52, Eldon Tyrell said:

Spector fans, in case you have not seen it over at No Treble check this out:

"The Spector custom shop team was on hand with some fine examples of their work. They also brought some prototypes for Doug Wimbish signature basses. The four and five-string models will be replicas of Wimbish’s own basses that he had customized by Stuart Spector many years ago. They have some unique features including an unusual volute shape, a super thin neck, and hot pickups."

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2024/01/28/namm-2024-bass-gear-day-3/ 

Spector-Basses-NAMM-2024-1200x900.thumb.webp.97bb42bb79aa36ae3bd075e16a724cb1.webp

Nothing new on the production model side:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

So, I am finally down to two basses. Both Spectors, of course 😉

As all good things come in threes, does anyone have an Ian Hill (the PJ version) they want to part with?

SpectorNS-4andEuro4LXMikeStarrLE_Small.thumb.jpg.101f84923d6568596ae4f85d1c81a4b2.jpg

Great pair I must say. And an admirable self-discipline....I could never get down to two Spectors... too much sentimental value to some of them in my collection.

Are those DCs in the NS-4? How is the neck compared to the Starr?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Great pair I must say. And an admirable self-discipline....I could never get down to two Spectors... too much sentimental value to some of them in my collection.

The Mike Starr signature bass is my only "not for sale" bass. I am a huge AIC fan and this one has the US HAZ 9V preamp. Sounds killer.

The NS-4 is my birthday bass (although I was not born in 06, wish I were ; -) Interestingly, on Nov 11 2006 I actually started my bass journey by buying a NOS Warwick Corvette in Soundcontrol Manchester (actually it is Salford, which is in Greater Manchester). Spookily, the NS-4, as I found out when I changed the pickup), also went to Soundcontrol (one of 4 in natural that went to the UK, according to PJ Rubal) but the Glasgow store where the guy who sold it to me bought it in 2007. 

SpectorNS4_Natural_Headstock.thumb.jpg.771b2d5c4745eb1b9d988bd9c358c127.jpgSpectorNS4_Natural_Bridge.thumb.jpg.d09d1e3b9454cb68632340d2e7d41723.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Are those DCs in the NS-4? How is the neck compared to the Starr?

The NS-4 has the EMG 35P4 in the neck and the DC in the bridge position. Great combo. The neck is fine. Not too thin, not too chunky.

The Mike Starr neck is nice too, maybe it is modelled on Mike's NS-2, which is probably a Kramer era model. I don't know as I have never owned a Kramer era Spector. Maybe someone should sell me one, yes, @cetera I am looking at you 😉 

Interestingly, I played both the Mike Starr Euro and a 40th anniversary Euro side by side at a London Bass Guitar Show. Huge neck shape differences. The 40th anniversary one had a pretty chunky neck and most Euros I've since come across have rather chunky necks but not all. There is some heterogeneity/variability. However, for me who prefers the thin neck specs (with the normal 1.64'' nut width, not the DW 1.5''), it is safer to either get a Kramer era Spector or the Ian Hill that also has a thin neck.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1