Why become a member? ×

Birthday Bass - ACG Build

EMG456

Mr C has been busy as ever in the workshop and has just sent me this pic of the neck/ fingerboard. 

Side/ top partial fretlines and position dots are in some kind of metal alloy and look great to my eyes. You can also see the 5 piece laminate of maple/ wenge that the neck is made from at the "headstock" which of course will be disappearing as this bass will be headless.

neck.thumb.jpg.4dd9b750a498753335a09f1be1af317a.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

Mr C has been busy as ever in the workshop and has just sent me this pic of the neck/ fingerboard. 

Side/ top partial fretlines and position dots are in some kind of metal alloy and look great to my eyes. You can also see the 5 piece laminate of maple/ wenge that the neck is made from at the "headstock" which of course will be disappearing as this bass will be headless.

Wow, that is stunning!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EMG456 said:

I wish I knew how to cut those partial fretlines.  They look great and dont detract from the beauty of the ebony in the way that full fretlines might.  Anyone know what the technique is?

I'm blissfully ignorant as to how they are done but can confirm that whatever factory in Japan that was making Ibanez in the 1970s could do it too coz they're on my 1978 Antoria Fretless P bass. (black, not metal)

I like them because it still has the look of an unlined board but the player gets strong guidance on where the notes lie. Particularly useful if you're launching yourself into a tune that starts somewhere away up the neck!

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:24, EMG456 said:

Lovely job

• 1 month later...

This pic is very similar to the last one but the eagle-eyed among you may notice the little rout in the body at the end of the neck to accommodate the truss rod wheel.

This means that the neck is now installed on the body. I notice also that the excess "headstock" has now vanished. 

3AC4A73D-DD83-4315-984D-D8DDA290C8B3.thumb.png.1bcccd61471f290b66be9498487865eb.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EMG456 said:

This pic is very similar to the last one but the eagle-eyed among you may notice the little rout in the body at the end of the neck to accommodate the truss rod wheel.

This means that the neck is now installed on the body. I notice also that the excess "headstock" has now vanished. 

3AC4A73D-DD83-4315-984D-D8DDA290C8B3.thumb.png.1bcccd61471f290b66be9498487865eb.png

Now that is STUNNING!

drool_o_848786.jpg

Wow, Mr C is motoring along now - mustn't get too excited. Looks like pickup and tuner routs are done and the lines for the forearm cutaway roughly marked out.

E780753A-2BF5-42E6-AD90-8EBA7EEAD527.thumb.png.149ac44e4e42478aa17035206a964f19.png

Controls are all placed for the DFM preamp - not sure what the smaller hole is for - battery led? LoL - I'll need to look out the spec sheet!

BB177CC3-B806-4406-ACAA-02FFCA1C50B5.thumb.png.ada6b5e219585ad30cb252149db2a75a.png

Edited by EMG456
too much information.

That's a very good question and you'll probably laugh at my answer - I don't know! It's not marked on my spec sheet and I can't remember the exact conversation I had with Alan about it. Suffice to say that that particular aspect of the build is actually not that important to me - I've played Alan's instruments - quite a few different ones- and I've liked more or less them all. I'm guessing that the spacing will be determined by what lines up with the pole pieces of the pickups - that would be the overriding factor for me. I've got loads of basses, all with varying string spacings and indeed string counts and I seem to be able to easily adapt to them all so I guess this will be no different. Actually, I was more concerned about the flat fingerboard but just decided that it works on classical guitars and my Chapman Sticks so I'll get used to it. Fortune favours the brave... or so they say!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I have an update, you’ll have an update! 😀

Seriously though, the bass is somewhere in the finishing/ final assembly conundrum, presumably along with several others whose progress pics I’ve noticed in parallel with my build.

I'm guessing Mr C will likely be flat out to get these done asap but we can only wait and see. I am certain it is close now! 

• Like 1

The bass is now in final assembly!! It will be ready for me on Christmas Eve!! I'm away then and not back till Boxing Day!!🙄

All going to plan then I'll be making the hour drive down to Moffatt on the 28th to pick this beauty up from ACG HQ.

Better polish up my fretless chops!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EMG456 said:

The bass is now in final assembly!! It will be ready for me on Christmas Eve!! I'm away then and not back till Boxing Day!!🙄

All going to plan then I'll be making the hour drive down to Moffatt on the 28th to pick this beauty up from ACG HQ.

Better polish up my fretless chops!

How very exciting mate!