Why become a member? ×

Playing bass for the music.

bubinga5

I can think of many bassists that play for the music. But not many who sing aswell as playing.. Alan Gorrie is just the master at this. I will be honest I think they are the best funk band/blue eyed soul band that has ever recorded said genre. Over the years I've heard endless incredible funk/grove/soul from them.. I will go as far as to say they one of the best soul/funk bands ever. I love there music that much. Seems incredible to me there roots stem from American soul and funk.  A band from Scotland couldn't be this good surely.!!. The great records just go on and on with the AWB. Huge respect for them.. This track is a B side but is just killer groove funk. Its perfect for me as is the band.  Lost it a little with my ramblings, but it still stands. Superb bass playing that never wanders from the groove. And that horn section.!!!

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Aye... Haggis-powered funk is a thing to behold.

I had a chat to Glaswegian Alan Nimmo (Nimmo Brothers, King King) a couple of years ago and I asked him why Scots could be so soulful. He said something along the lines of 'we come from somewhere where we should be miserable but we're mostly upbeat and happy'. 

It was a master stroke hooking up with Arif Mardin in LA to record the AWB album, it really elevated them.

(The Brecker Brothers are among the extra musicians on that album ).

Below is one for the nerdy, Average White Bums (like me)...:D

A rare AWB recording, it even has a slapped Musicman Bass on it....

It wasn't released at the time, because of copyright problems (just a demo I think). Of course, Boz Scaggs later recorded it (it was originally a Toto track/composition).

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

AWB were touring in the US and they met up with the James Brown band. The JB's said they had a lot of people congratulating them on their new record, Pick Up The Pieces! They had to tell everyone it wasn't them!

If you want more Scottish Funk, checkout the Haggis Horns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

AWB were touring in the US and they met up with the James Brown band. The JB's said they had a lot of people congratulating them on their new record, Pick Up The Pieces! They had to tell everyone it wasn't them!

If you want more Scottish Funk, checkout the Haggis Horns.

This has almost certainly been posted before, butJames Brown's band recorded this as a response to Pick Up The Pieces under the name Above Average Black Band.

Edited by Cato

6 hours ago, Len_derby said:

I had a chat to Glaswegian Alan Nimmo (Nimmo Brothers, King King) a couple of years ago and I asked him why Scots could be so soulful. He said something along the lines of 'we come from somewhere where we should be miserable but we're mostly upbeat and happy'. 

Had the privaledge of supporting the Nimmo Bros in 2011 at the Yardbirds Club in Grimsby.....smashing fella and band to boot.

• Like 1

'James Brown Is Annie' are keeping the flame burning for Funk/Soul in Scotland. Hamish stuart is a fan, as you can see.

Barry Gordon is the brains behind JBIA. They seem to have had a bit of a revolving cast of musicians, over the years.

I hear Hamish is producing their album.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1