Why become a member? ×

£7000 for a £1k bass and a £6k story 😂

“Hey loook! This guy’s got no health insurance and is unable to play anymore as he has dementia - I’ve bought this from him in his hour of need and I’m going to make a snappy profit upon his name!”

the entire thing stinks - I hope it languishes unsold for years.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, vinorange said:

I noticed this crappy epiphine dot 335 signed by Noel Gallagher (or anyone who can scribble) for a grand!

Note to self; must take shittiest guitar and marker pen to a gig nearby soon...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232866405310

Yeah. That’s not going to be pride of place anywhere is it. Half a scribble 🙄

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

“Hey loook! This guy’s got no health insurance and is unable to play anymore as he has dementia - I’ve bought this from him in his hour of need and I’m going to make a snappy profit upon his name!”

the entire thing stinks - I hope it languishes unsold for years.

As opposed to not buying something from him in his hour of need so he has a bass he cant use and no money either???

Just now, dyerseve said:

As opposed to not buying something from him in his hour of need so he has a bass he cant use and no money either???

I bet TM Stevens didn’t sell it for £7000. 

Either way, it’s just stupid to mention it, just say “TM STEVENS OWNED BASS - USED ON FAMOUS SONGS” - the advert just reads a bit like “I’m an opportunist”

But whatever, it’s not a £7000 bass.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

Well true generosity of spirit would have been for the seller to sell the bass on behalf of TM Stevens for a modest fee, not to exploit his name for a huge mark up.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, vinorange said:

Well true generosity of spirit would have been for the seller to sell the bass on behalf of TM Stevens for a modest fee, not to exploit his name for a huge mark up.

I understand the sentiment but why does the person who purchased the bass owe anything to TM Stevens? Its a business transaction.

Sorry guys I just dont see the problem, I ahve to assume TM Stevens was happy with the price the bass sold for as he wouldnt have sold it otherwise so I cant see any issue.

If the seller has overpriced it which I think he has, especially as I see no proof of provenance, then he wont be able to get the profit he wants - again we are assuming he paid much less than 7K for it.

57 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

“I’m an opportunist”

Can smell it a mile away, let alone any papers or pics to provide authenticity. 

The bass is at most £1500 (to the right buyer) but I'm sure Mr Stevens isn't short of a few basses, considering his Cort and Warwick artist models and any other endorsements. 

20 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

I understand the sentiment but why does the person who purchased the bass owe anything to TM Stevens? Its a business transaction.

Sorry guys I just dont see the problem, I ahve to assume TM Stevens was happy with the price the bass sold for as he wouldnt have sold it otherwise so I cant see any issue.

If the seller has overpriced it which I think he has, especially as I see no proof of provenance, then he wont be able to get the profit he wants - again we are assuming he paid much less than 7K for it.

Whilst I agree completely with the principal above: to me it depends on the seller’s state of mind at the time of the sale. Did he know the market potential value of the bass or did the dementia mean he had no idea what it or even he was?

I have not reread the advert again today, but memory tells me it does not say he even paid for the bass but merely obtained it from Mr Stevens.

5 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

Whilst I agree completely with the principal above: to me it depends on the seller’s state of mind at the time of the sale. Did he know the market potential value of the bass or did the dementia mean he had no idea what it or even he was?

I have not reread the advert again today, but memory tells me it does not say he even paid for the bass but merely obtained it from Mr Stevens.

I know but there are too many suppositions and assumptions being made surrounding the seller and how he obtained the bass. It may be that you guys are right and he may be a complete scumbag but there are no facts to prove it so I will with hold my judgement until there are some facts to base it on...

3 hours ago, dyerseve said:

I know but there are too many suppositions and assumptions being made surrounding the seller and how he obtained the bass. It may be that you guys are right and he may be a complete scumbag but there are no facts to prove it so I will with hold my judgement until there are some facts to base it on...

Agreed too. I am not judging the situation or any of the comments here, merely pointing out we do not know the state of the seller's mind or if this was a fair purchase.

• 1 month later...

I don't know much about TM Stevens but the side story about him having medical problems and insufficient medical insurance is not uncommon stateside. Victor Bailey and Chuck Rainey spring to mind of two who had quite similar stories a few years ago and there were online fund raising activities to assist them. Sad really that a country like the USA can't implement something like the NHS ( even with all it's faults). But back to the bass it seems strange to mention TM with his medical conditions to get a sale but not indicate whether any of the proceeds are going to help him personally. If they were going back to him then that in itself may make the sale more attractive to a potential buyer who could easily afford to buy it. That said I doubt the amount it would sell for would make a big dent in the cost of USA medical treatment. Sad news about TM though.

This is THE BASS used on James Brown's "Living in America" from the Rocky Movie. This bass was used on this entire record called "Gravity"..  I purchased this bass out of TM Stevens estate in New Jersey unfortunately he has dementia and no family, no insurance etc .. this bass is absolutely killer. There is a great story behind it I will share with the buyer. it's a piece of American music history. Go back and listen to the bass track on that record .. and you will hear what you are getting. Comes with original case (handle is broken) but has duct tape that reads TM JB bass.