Why become a member? ×

Tom Petersson's Hamer FBVIII - when things went weird.

NancyJohnson

Wow. So we normally have long thread slagging off people who pull out of deals for silly reasons, and these people are nothing more than whatever the keyboard warriors feel they can type that day.

While i understand the situation, i cant understand why its the seller thats the bad guy here. Why on earth shoulden be angry, and wh on eather is there a thread about? I know BC members have to stick together but even so.

"Very interested, yes i can afford it, can you send me more info......sorry, the wife says no". Hardly going to get a "no prob's mate' are you? Going by the many threads on here this just wouldn't be tolerated by BC members, but in this case its not a problem for most.

Gotta love the BC collective. its not what it used to be.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Hardly going to get a "no prob's mate' are you?

Good grief.  I'm sorry, but generally that's how I roll, I'll take photos and send them over.  If a deal falls over, it's very unlikely I'm going to start shooting someone messages accusing them of being a tyre-kicker, just wanting photos of the bass.  Then a couple of weeks later to send over another message saying it was on sale elsewhere.  The seller is a knob.  Plain and simple.

• Like 1

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

Good grief.  I'm sorry, but generally that's how I roll, I'll take photos and send them over.  If a deal falls over, it's very unlikely I'm going to start shooting someone messages accusing them of being a tyre-kicker, just wanting photos of the bass.  Then a couple of weeks later to send over another message saying it was on sale elsewhere.  The seller is a knob.  Plain and simple.

Maybe not you, and i meant no offence, but according to all the other 'buyer pulls out threads' it just not on leading a seller on and then pulling out. Which is what you did. If it was the other way around im 100% sure the other person would be the 'knob'.

im commenting more on the following posts rather than yours. Just noticing how the pack runs on here these days.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Maybe not you, and i meant no offence, but according to all the other 'buyer pulls out threads' it just not on leading a seller on and then pulling out. Which is what you did. If it was the other way around im 100% sure the other person would be the 'knob'.

im commenting more on the following posts rather than yours. Just noticing how the pack runs on here these days.

Sorry, but there was no leading on or inference of this in the OP. 

As I've mentioned, I've been aware of this bass for many many years and the price (at $8k was a tad speculative) isn't an issue either. 

My main point was how the guy was just sweetness and love when he could smell a sale, but did a 180 and became accusatory when I said 'no' to him.  The message about being a time waster and just wanting pictures was something akin to the reaction of a seven year old on the playground.

All we're trying to do here is share and discuss our experiences both good and bad.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Showing interest in an item for sale is not 'leading a seller on', but rather an expected part of any trade/sale.

From the information we've been given, to suggest the OP was being anything other than polite and up-front with the seller is pretty disrespectful to him. So much for the BC Collective.

This makes me a bit wary of doing any deals with you in future, actually.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/09/2018 at 14:56, dave_bass5 said:

Wow. So we normally have long thread slagging off people who pull out of deals for silly reasons, and these people are nothing more than whatever the keyboard warriors feel they can type that day.

While i understand the situation, i cant understand why its the seller thats the bad guy here. Why on earth shoulden be angry, and wh on eather is there a thread about? I know BC members have to stick together but even so.

"Very interested, yes i can afford it, can you send me more info......sorry, the wife says no". Hardly going to get a "no prob's mate' are you? Going by the many threads on here this just wouldn't be tolerated by BC members, but in this case its not a problem for most.

Gotta love the BC collective. its not what it used to be.

On 11/09/2018 at 17:45, Cosmo Valdemar said:

This makes me a bit wary of doing any deals with you in future, actually.

Likewise

The thing is @dave_bass5, it wasn't a simple yes/no/maybe thing here.  I have the money to buy this, but decided against it; it's really not all about me haemorrhaging my money on gear...I have a very tolerant wife and I discussed it with her.  Would I love to own this piece of Hamer history?  Yes, sure.  Is this more about the chase as opposed to actual ownership?  Quite probably.  I also feel that once I had it, it would have become more of a vanity purchase rather than the workhorse I would want it to be.

To be honest, in hindsight I'm glad I didn't fork over $10K for it, especially considering the add-ons (shipping/taxes etc.) and what the seller has it up for now (although it's not showing on Reverb any more).  I will add that the seller is indeed a bit of an opinionated pink torpedo; it's amazing how many times I see his (frankly idiotic) posts on the various forums/pages that I subscribe to.  

25 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The thing is @dave_bass5, it wasn't a simple yes/no/maybe thing here.  I have the money to buy this, but decided against it; it's really not all about me haemorrhaging my money on gear...I have a very tolerant wife and I discussed it with her.  Would I love to own this piece of Hamer history?  Yes, sure.  Is this more about the chase as opposed to actual ownership?  Quite probably.  I also feel that once I had it, it would have become more of a vanity purchase rather than the workhorse I would want it to be.

To be honest, in hindsight I'm glad I didn't fork over $10K for it, especially considering the add-ons (shipping/taxes etc.) and what the seller has it up for now (although it's not showing on Reverb any more).  I will add that the seller is indeed a bit of an opinionated pink torpedo; it's amazing how many times I see his (frankly idiotic) posts on the various forums/pages that I subscribe to.  

But as i said, i wasnt commenting on you as such, and never once said you were in the wrong  I was just commenting how the BC community seems to stick together. Normally its 'buyer pulls out, what a total ****', but this thread was about the buyer being one of us, and the seller got the hump, he was still a total ****.

Because of that ive had at least two people say they wouldn't want to deal with me. Seriously, because i played devils advocaat, and just pointed out how i see thing going on BC. This was my point, people seem to choose who are the bad guys on here.

Ive never given anyone a hard time when ive brought or sold on here, yet here we are with people questioning if they woudl want to deal with me because i spoke out about something without them even knowing me.

Never did i question why you did it or say you shouldn't have, and yes, you were right to make that decision back then. Glad it worked out for you as i know you arent a time waster....apparently some think i am lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

But as i said, i wasnt commenting on you as such, and never once said you were in the wrong  I was just commenting how the BC community seems to stick together. Normally its 'buyer pulls out, what a total ****', but this thread was about the buyer being one of us, and the seller got the hump, he was still a total ****.

Because of that ive had at least two people say they wouldn't want to deal with me. Seriously, because i played devils advocaat, and just pointed out how i see thing going on BC. This was my point, people seem to choose who are the bad guys on here.

Ive never given anyone a hard time when ive brought or sold on here, yet here we are with people questioning if they woudl want to deal with me because i spoke out about something without them even knowing me.

Never did i question why you did it or say you shouldn't have, and yes, you were right to make that decision back then. Glad it worked out for you as i know you arent a time waster....apparently some think i am lol.

But surely from the seller's POV, the OP was never a confirmed buyer? The seller had some correspondence with a potential buyer who asked for some more pics - an entirely reasonable request. 

If someone on here posted a rant about having an experience similar to the chap selling the Hamer I imagine they would be brought down to earth pretty quickly.

Nobody has suggested you shouldn't be able to voice your opinion on this matter, but if you think the seller has acted reasonably, I would be wary of getting into a discussion with you about something you were selling for fear of being labelled a time waster.

Looking at it from the other side, have you never made initial enquiries about an item for sale somewhere and subsequently decided against it? 

6 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

But surely from the seller's POV, the OP was never a confirmed buyer? The seller had some correspondence with a potential buyer who asked for some more pics - an entirely reasonable request. 

If someone on here posted a rant about having an experience similar to the chap selling the Hamer I imagine they would be brought down to earth pretty quickly.

Nobody has suggested you shouldn't be able to voice your opinion on this matter, but if you think the seller has acted reasonably, I would be wary of getting into a discussion with you about something you were selling for fear of being labelled a time waster.

Looking at it from the other side, have you never made initial enquiries about an item for sale somewhere and subsequently decided against it? 

ok but i never commented on anything to do with reasons, or right and wrong of doing it, only how some people react on here. Again, it was never meant to be directed at NJ, and i said that very early on. I have not labelled anyone a time waster (at least i dont think i did), but a lot here do, and its always the non member thats the time waster or the bad guy. I was just pointing out the irony there i guess.

I have made many enquires, and have sometimes decided against going forward, i have had many many enquires that get close to going ahead and never did. Thats life. I just didnt feel i needed to make a thread about it (although again, thats just my way of doing things).

Dont worry, ill make sure i dont bother you and Fleabag on here outside this thread. if anyone wants to add their name i can make a list lol

Evidently I'm a member of at least one of the same FB groups as you, and am well aware of this fellow and his consistent efforts to sell this bass over quite a period. I've fallen out with him myself over some petty thing I can't remember.

Now I just ignore him - he's an opinionated, self-centred jerk. :)

• Haha 1