Why become a member? ×

Tom Petersson's Hamer FBVIII - when things went weird.

NancyJohnson

This Hamer FBVIII came up on a group I'm a member of; I know there's some multi-string bass fans here and also guys who are doing the Cheap Trick thing, so there's probably a few people reading this who are drooling now.  Anyone who knows Tom Petersson's gear or are a member of the Hamer Guitar Discussion group will know this bass (I've been aware of it for a good 25+ years). 

image.thumb.png.6a82eaa2934e2913b77236add285e8e4.png

So anyhow, as I have some inheritance money coming through in about six weeks, I sent the seller a PM for his cash price as his ad quoted he was either looking for an 'unbroken Thunderbird II' or a cash sale (he hadn't quoted a dollar price).  I explained as I didn't have a Thunderbird for swapsies, perhaps he would like to give me a price.  A few minutes later he pinged back a price.  I'm not going to go into the price, but while it was a lot of $$ I didn't fall off my chair and it would be easily doable in a few weeks.  (When the inheritance comes in, let's just say I'd be able to buy several of these.)  I asked whether it came with the original case (yes) and would he mind sending me some better photos.  Sensing a sale, he turned around the photos in under 30 minutes and then, unprompted, said he could provide a load of stuff to prove the basses provenance, then PMs arrived containing links to YT videos where Tom Petersson is playing this bass.  He was obviously sniffing a sale.

Everything was cordial at this point.  I'd spoken to a mate in New Hampshire who offered to bring it in on his next business trip (which could in theory have saved me a fortune in tax), so the final hurdle was my wife.  Hands up, I'll admit I've spent a lot on gear in the last two or three years so after a bit of a chat (and because I like my testicles), I thought better of it and as much as I'd have loved to own this bass, sadly decided not to proceed, but added if it was still available in a few months I would hit the seller up again.

At this point things got a little weird seller-side.  I mean, if you're selling something, you'd expect to at least send some photos and enter into a bit of dialogue about things, wouldn't you?  When I apologised and told the guy it was a no, I was on then on the receiving end of a couple of strange, angry messages; '[I] didn’t think you were serious. Just another tire kicker wasting my time wanting pictures of my bass.' and 'Don’t bother me again unless you are serious. I hate when people waste my time. This is the ONLY ONE of its kind. If you don’t want it, someone else does...'  He also remarked that there was the Hard Rock Cafe (the guitar graveyard).

I dunno, I just found his rhetoric strange.  I've sold stuff here, I've had stuff on sale where you email photos out.  It's what you do.  If the guy at the other end doesn't want what you're selling, they say no, so you just go, 'That's fine, no worries and thanks for your interest.' and the matter closes.  Man alive, if I wanted photos of the bass, there's loads out there already; I really couldn't care less about whether it was one of a kind or not either.  I've never been called a tire kicker in my life (I think this is what hurt the most!). 

Ack, there's no happy ending here.  I just wanted to vent off how stupid and dumb some people can be (not me, folks).

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

Very strange. "Timewasting" would agreeing to meet up and then not showing. Whereas photos, provenance and descriptions are useful for any potential buyer, and don't need to be redone each time. I can't understand the seller attitude there.

Looks an amazing bass though - I can't recall seeing a reverse split P at the neck before.

15 hours ago, Kevsy71 said:

Very strange. "Timewasting" would agreeing to meet up and then not showing. Whereas photos, provenance and descriptions are useful for any potential buyer, and don't need to be redone each time. I can't understand the seller attitude there.

Looks an amazing bass though - I can't recall seeing a reverse split P at the neck before.

Exactly: if you were looking for a place to live, you'd expect to see plenty of photos before agreeing to a viewing, just so you don't find yourself standing in a pigsty / fresh murder scene / sex dungeon, awkwardly trying to explain to the lettings agent that this didn't really meet your standards for a "cosy family home."

If this bass is indeed the "ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND, YOU B**T**D TIME-WASTING TIRE KICKER; I BET YOU KICK PUPPIES AS WELL, DON'T YOU, etc, etc" then surely the guy would be all too happy to send you some more photos to show the thing off?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Iv'e lost the plot Trev - i cannot remember.  🤐

Maybe it’ll come to you while you’re asleep tonight!  😉

with that price and a bolshy seller like that it’s certainly not Walk Right Back to me this minute!

Edited by TrevorR